PDA

View Full Version : Nicked, towing a trailer!

bigredduke
18-08-2005, 09:47 PM
So there I was trundling down the M1 in Nottinghamshire on the way to Dover for our family hols in southern France. I see blue lights behind me & pull over onto the hard shoulder.

Plod swaggers up to the car, does the usual checking of tax disc etc and asks for my licence which I can't find amongst all the holiday paraphenalia.

I ask what the problem is and he informs me that I went into the outside lane and that is prohibited. I explained that I had absolutely no idea that this was an offence (genuinely), but instead of giving me a caution he issues a fixed penalty notice - 3 points & £60 fine. What a complete twat! He reckoned that if I had a full licence (since 1976) I should be aware of all aspects of the highway code! :eek:
I knew that caravans & HGV's weren't allowed in the outside lane but I thought that was it.
So your starter for 10 - who knew that towing an itsy-bitsy trailer behind a car (or van for that matter) in the outside lane of a motorway was forbidden? I have not met any drivers so far who say they know this. :confused:

On a more positive note, the area aroung Perpignan & up into the Pyrenees have some amazing roads for bikes. I'm definitely taking mine down there next year.

Wwhen in the car, I always try to pull over as much as poss to let bikes past, & the french chappies acknowledge this by putting their right foot out momentarily - rather endearing really and definitely safer than taking your hand off the 'bars!

marchesini
18-08-2005, 11:28 PM
So your starter for 10 - who knew that towing an itsy-bitsy trailer behind a car (or van for that matter) in the outside lane of a motorway was forbidden? I have not met any drivers so far who say they know this. :confused:

Not that it helps your cause but thanks for the heads up. I've just put my trailer together for the first time and didn't know what the rules were - other than to try not to do too much reversing. I'll try and put my doddery Sunday codger hat on tomorrow just so I don't stray into the outside lane.

Thanks again

simon

Julie
19-08-2005, 05:33 AM
I've got a bike trailer and it weighs 60kg's with out bike. Yes i did realise that if you tow ANYTHING no matter what size you can't go in the out side lane. The trailer is my dads (he's a HGV driver) and told me not to go in the outside lane - but i already knew about the rule.
I have Just asked ruth and she also knew this. Also Jmo and I tow our trail bikes to wales and she also knows about the rule - sorry mate.

Duncan
19-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Dont get me started about caravans and trailers.
Living in Bristol and using the M5 a lot I see too many of the bloody things all summer long and most of the drivers have never heard of the highway code let alone lane discipline, towing speed limits or common sense. These things can weigh the same as a car, are twice the size but need no tax, no MOT, run on bald tyres that are often under inflated, perished or made in Eastern Europe for farm carts. Often the brakes are seized solid or only working on one side.
Thats why theres so many overtipped on any Saturday on the M5.

Trailers I thought were a macho thing for attaching to Volvos and driving to the tip on a Saturday morning with a bag of grass clippings inside whilst comparing dents and scuffs from previous trips.

Caravans only good for crushing!!

Aaah I feel better now.

CK & AK
19-08-2005, 07:44 AM
I did know (class 1 since 1984) - but its worth you giving the heads up to those who didnt :)

cheers :)

MilesB
19-08-2005, 07:57 AM
I knew this too, as a colleague was caught on this quite a few years back... but it never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know.

Having said that, I thought the majority of trailers (of any type) had speed restrictions that make going in the outside lane impractical anyway :confused:

Unfortunately, ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law :(

Miles

phil996
19-08-2005, 08:07 AM
The bad news is we can't tow trailers in the 3rd lane,which is sometimes a nuisance,but can you imagine what it would be like if they let all trailers including caravans out there!
Unfortunately,"it's a fair cop".But it down to experience.

Mand
19-08-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm a smart arse too, I knew as well. :)

Bad luck anyhow.

SazzaG
19-08-2005, 09:19 AM
I didn't know that, but it's a good point about knowing the highway code. How many of us honestly say we've studied it at all since passing our tests?

I always thought that doing a U-turn on a mini roundabout was illegal, but when doing an advanced driving course earlier this year, my instructor said it wasn't, and gave me his highway code to prove it.

Damn, I always used to enjoy shouting at people who did that!

What if you're a bike towing a trailer?....

Saz

lord vader
19-08-2005, 09:26 AM
But i belive you are also restricted to 50mph if towing a trailer, caravan or similar anyway which should in therory mean you'll never need to go in the outside lane!

slob
19-08-2005, 09:29 AM
... How many of us honestly say we've studied it at all since passing our tests?
It's available here, http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/
I last used it after being knocked off my bike by a car driver whose solicitor seemed to think red routes are for parking only!
Before that, to find out what all those diamond lane dividers mean at the bottom of the A40(clearly no-one else on the A40 has a clue).
It's worth having a browse periodically as the rules do change.
I'm sure 80% of those who use the roads would be utterly incapable of passing another driving test tomorrow.

SAMMYE
19-08-2005, 10:24 AM
I always thought that doing a U-turn on a mini roundabout was illegal, but when doing an advanced driving course earlier this year, my instructor said it wasn't, and gave me his highway code to prove it.

Damn, I always used to enjoy shouting at people who did that!

Saz

Still bloody annoying though illegal or not especially when it turns into a 3 point turn! Abuse at will they deserve it

abbeyalto
19-08-2005, 10:28 AM
What a shame the same '3rd lane' rule doesn't apply to the outside lane when there are only two. I get miffed when lorries overtake each other with a difference of 0.2mph without waiting for a big enough gap in the outside lane. Sometimes the tailbacks can be enormous...

SAMMYE
19-08-2005, 10:32 AM
What a shame the same '3rd lane' rule doesn't apply to the outside lane when there are only two. I get miffed when lorries overtake each other with a difference of 0.2mph without waiting for a big enough gap in the outside lane. Sometimes the tailbacks can be enormous...

Hurl abuse and give them the finger as you go past then chuckle about how wound up you probably made them and the fact they are going to be stuck in their lorry for hours whereas you will probably be on the road for less time. Give your stress to someone else

Rogerg
19-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Come on then lets see how you all do:

http://www.theory-tests.co.uk/starttest.asp?testno=120&orgid=12

and

http://www.theory-tests.co.uk/starttest.asp?testno=121&orgid=12

got to say there's some rubbish questions in there!!

CK & AK
19-08-2005, 10:52 AM
But i belive you are also restricted to 50mph if towing a trailer, caravan or similar anyway which should in therory mean you'll never need to go in the outside lane!

sorry: wrong :p

Limits for towing are:

30 in a 30

50 on single carriageways (unless required limit is set lower)

60 on dual carriageways & motorways

goods vehicles OVER 7.5tonne are restricted to 40 on single lane & 50 on dual carriageways, but permitted 60 on Motorways.

HTIOH :)

SazzaG
19-08-2005, 10:56 AM
The thing about those tests is that they only test your ability to read the DSA's book.

When I took my theory test for my DAS course, every single question in the test was taken straight from the DSA's book. What with it being multiple guess, it doesn't exactly test your knowledge -more your ability to memorise answers to specific questions (if that makes sense).

Needless to say, I got full marks when I took it then.

Saz

bigredduke
19-08-2005, 11:03 AM
33/35
wasn't sure about the questions about slow moving scooters though!

Rogerg
19-08-2005, 11:06 AM
The thing about those tests is that they only test your ability to read the DSA's book.

When I took my theory test for my DAS course, every single question in the test was taken straight from the DSA's book. What with it being multiple guess, it doesn't exactly test your knowledge -more your ability to memorise answers to specific questions (if that makes sense).

Needless to say, I got full marks when I took it then.

Saz

you swatt!!

slob
19-08-2005, 11:16 AM
got to say there's some rubbish questions in there!!

Roger Roger,

33/35 confused by steering lock and hazard lights.

note to self:
If I ever decide to tow a trailer with a motorcycle, it's time to stop riding.

bigredduke
19-08-2005, 11:40 AM
So you don't fancy a Goldwing with music system, TV, 'fridge, trailer etc etc?

SteveSki
19-08-2005, 11:54 AM
35/35....... :burnout:

ahem...... :D

JMo
19-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Steveski - judging by your avatar, I see you've bought a dolls house to park you remote control car outside...

xxx

DesmoDom
19-08-2005, 03:17 PM
34-35 on the 1st one, failed dismally on the 2nd, 29-35, but there were some very ambiguous questions on the second one. (well thats my excuse :D )

Baz

SteveSki
19-08-2005, 03:21 PM
jmo......

Ha ha ha ha :lol:

You should see the size of the remote.......

Paulk
19-08-2005, 05:24 PM
So glad to our boys in blue are keeping hooligans at bay and making sure they abide by the LAW...hell you could of been a real lawbreaker...otherwise what else would they be doing..drinking tea

bigredduke
19-08-2005, 10:10 PM
bit of a postscript really, but when I was checking the highway code I also discovered that you can't take a minibus (or anthing else that has more than 8 seats) into the outside lane of a motorway. As I regularly drive one, usually accompanied by up to 16 students asking me to turn up radio chav (Galaxy 1summatorother) it could have been another 3 points to add to my collection as I have often taken it into the outside lane whilst overtaking an eddie stobart.

Rogerg
20-08-2005, 06:01 AM
is a taxi driver still allowed to urinate on his back wheel??

Spike
20-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Yep I knew (HGV 1) and CK is spot on, sorry about the points but most Notts traffic cops are ar*****. :mad:

Kev Bunney
20-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Oh bugger, dint know the trailer rule AND got NONE right on the test, still who gives a tinkers cuss !

bigredduke
20-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Yes, a taxi driver is still allowed to urinate against a back wheel providing he/she does not leave the driving seat to do it.