PDA

View Full Version : You're nicked love!

Chappers
18-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Finally got it over and done with :D

108mph in a 70mph limit

Originally got a 56 day ban, 6 points and £285 fine; then I handed the judge my letter from my employer and they reduced it to a 28 day ban, 6 points and £185 fine payable within 28 days :)

So won't see any of you now til 15th September onwards unless any of you make the effort to come see me bike night at The Three Trees, Bletchley on a Tuesday :rolleyes: or if anyone is kind enough to offer to take me out pillion anywhere (yeah right :lol: ).

Thanks for your support and PM's/text's yesterday :p

slob
18-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Congrats, not three bad considering. Hope your next insurance premium isn't too painful.

Chappers
18-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Congrats, not three bad considering. Hope your next insurance premium isn't too painful.

Been trying to get through to Churchill to let them know but forever on flipping hold - I'm eager to know how badly this is gonna effect my premium :confused:

Suppose I need to ring Ducati Insurance too now :rolleyes:

Plum
18-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Bad luck chick, but at least you only got 28 days. I no need to retake any tests either.

I hope the insurance company dont fleece you though!

Chappers
18-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Just rang the court to confirm the conviction code I need to quote to the insurance company and it's 1051 for the ban and SP30 for the points.

According to the Court Clerk I get 6 points put on my license for the period of 28 days ONLY, therefore I really got a 28 day ban and £185 fine as the points given will be removed from my license as of 14th September - I'm over the flipping moon :bunny:

I only have to tell the insurance companies about the ban and fine :burnout:

Mand
18-08-2005, 12:35 PM
I can't get my head around the fact you are getting points on your license for just 28 days? Surely if you are banned, you are banned and what is the point of giving you points just that amount of time. How odd!

Julie
18-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I can't get my head around the fact you are getting points on your license for just 28 days? Surely if you are banned, you are banned and what is the point of giving you points just that amount of time. How odd!

I agree mand - i have never heard of that before. Best check again chappers. Points don't get put on for a short time like that.

Chappers
18-08-2005, 12:45 PM

That was my point exactly and that's why I ended up speaking to 2 other members of staff at the court to confirm what she was saying was correct - stupid really.

McMONSTRO
18-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Sounds like a good result to me! Havn't heard of this points for a few days before, but seems good eh? At least you'll be back out before the end of September! Time to catch up on the gardening :D

McMonstro (the other Donington curse)

Chappers
18-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I agree mand - i have never heard of that before. Best check again chappers. Points don't get put on for a short time like that.

Also, I thought the court were sending my license to DVLA but because my ban is under 56 days the court keep it :confused:

Mand
18-08-2005, 12:53 PM
That was my point exactly and that's why I ended up speaking to 2 other members of staff at the court to confirm what she was saying was correct - stupid really.

Chappers, perhaps it is some sort of admin thing?

We have been comparing our speeding fines/points in the office and it nevers seems very consistent at all when you are stopped by the rozzers. :confused:

Chappers
18-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Chappers, perhaps it is some sort of admin thing?

We have been comparing our speeding fines/points in the office and it nevers seems very consistent at all when you are stopped by the rozzers. :confused:

I know - Ruffnex was doing 112mph and got 6 points (now makes it 9 points on his license) and £380 fine and then didn't Banshee get nicked for a similar speed but can't remember what his punishment was?

It swings in roundabouts really :confused:

logyk
18-08-2005, 12:57 PM
The reason for the points business is that the ban wipes the licence clean ....so I understand :cool:

Chappers
18-08-2005, 12:58 PM
The reason for the points business is that the ban wipes the licence clean ....so I understand :cool:

I'm fick...still don't get it :lol: :o

Mand
18-08-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm fick...still don't get it :lol: :o

Me neither! Surely that isn't right?

paul620sie
18-08-2005, 01:14 PM
so you're better off having a Ban than points (long term)?

Rogerg
18-08-2005, 01:25 PM
so you're better off having a Ban than points (long term)?

except when it comes to your insurance renwal

SAMMYE
18-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Edited due to me being a dimbo!! :rolleyes:

Chappers
18-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Car insurance will go up £35.00 for remaider of this policy (7th April) and Bike insurance isn't effected til my renewal date (1st April) and due to the SP30 code will only go up as if I've been given 3 points according to the gal on the phone, so won't really notice it ;)

logyk
18-08-2005, 03:27 PM
The reason for the result in Chappers case is as follows:

1. She was awarded points for the offence based on the seriousness of the speeding with the result that if she had points imposed for earlier offences she could be a totter and disqualified as such. In fact she had no points so totting was not a consideration.

2. She was disqualified for the offence ....seriously over the speed limit.

3. Disqualification wipes points off the licence....so even though they had just been imposed they were removed by the disqualification.

Hope that is clear.

Sammye ....I am afraid I could not follow your post .

Chappers....I fear that you will be asked how many points were imposed for the offence when you seek renewal. The additional premium for the balance of the year seems light. A bit of a result !

SAMMYE
18-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Sammye ....I am afraid I could not follow your post .

that makes two of us!

CK & AK
18-08-2005, 04:09 PM
unless I'm mistaken (please tell me I am, Chappers) havent you done your test in the last 2 years?

Cos if so, if banned/lost through totting up - you have to re-take your test.

Hope you did your test more earlier tho? :confused:

C

singletrack
18-08-2005, 04:14 PM
unless I'm mistaken (please tell me I am, Chappers) havent you done your test in the last 2 years?

Cos if so, if banned/lost through totting up - you have to re-take your test.

Hope you did your test more earlier tho? :confused:

C

If you did your car test more than 2 years ago you will not have to re-take your bike test. That rule only applies to totally new riders/drivers.

The Kevlar Kid
18-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Finally got it over and done with :D

28 day ban, 6 points and £185 fine payable within 28

Unlucky H. I thought you might escape the ban with that letter... Still could be worse. Time for a bike change then?? (I'll sell you a nice 900 :rolleyes: )

No doubt I'll see you at some point - either the trees, or I'll give you a lift to Clophill if Mags isn't joining me (gota sort mine out first though - put a stone through the headlamp last night :mad: ).

Nonnie
18-08-2005, 04:42 PM
I thought that any points on a car or bike licence of more than 6 points in the first 2 years of having your bike licence would result in your bike licence being taken away from you and resitting an extended (90 minute) test.

SAMMYE
18-08-2005, 05:14 PM
I thought that any points on a car or bike licence of more than 6 points in the first 2 years of having your bike licence would result in your bike licence being taken away from you and resitting an extended (90 minute) test.

Oh my little big green eyed friend see below:

6. The Road Traffic ( New Drivers) Act 1995
This Act will affect you if you passed your first GB driving test after 1 June 1997 when it came into force. If the number of valid penalty points shown on your driving licence total 6 or more during the two year probationary period immediately following your first driving test, your full driving licence will be revoked by DVLA until such time as you pass a further driving test.

Nonnie
18-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Oh my little big green eyed friend see below:

6. The Road Traffic ( New Drivers) Act 1995
This Act will affect you if you passed your first GB driving test after 1 June 1997 when it came into force. If the number of valid penalty points shown on your driving licence total 6 or more during the two year probationary period immediately following your first driving test, your full driving licence will be revoked by DVLA until such time as you pass a further driving test.
I remain in your debt forever. Blink Blink.

spacemonkey
18-08-2005, 06:39 PM
When I acquired my first 14 points many, many moons ago, I got a totting up ban for 6 months. After this I was back to 0 points in theory, but the 12 was still on the license so to speak. My insurance was loaded with 40%, which is great when you are 19 and drive a 2.8Ghia X Grandad. Luckily I still had a copy of my clean license which served for insurance purposes for 5 years. Luckily, I have never made an insurance claim so got away with it, even with those pesky kids! My total points now is 23, but only 3 are valid at the mo'....

norrie
18-08-2005, 07:00 PM
I got banned for a year for dangerous driving and had to re-sit my test.
When I got my license back there were no points on it however a DD40 which stays on you license for 4 years and the insurance company count it for 5 years.
My insurance premiums were very expensive during this time and a lot of insurers wouldn't even insure me.

Norrie.

Chappers
19-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Unlucky H. I thought you might escape the ban with that letter... Still could be worse.
As you well know I've always stated that it was a fair cop and I deserve everything I get but I am well and truly over the moon with my result and personally think I deserved a harsher punishment :o

Time for a bike change then?? (I'll sell you a nice 900 :rolleyes: )
I was considering selling my bike now but after discovering some minor bodged up bits on it done by an ex-member of this club (ahem), I've decided to make the most of this ban and use it as a '28 day bike project' to get them all corrected and just spend some time giving it the tlc it deserves.

So gonna hold out til March/April next year to sell in which time I would of saved some more dosh to put towards and upgrade to another Monster :)

No doubt I'll see you at some point - either the trees, or I'll give you a lift to Clophill if Mags isn't joining me (gota sort mine out first though - put a stone through the headlamp last night :mad: ).
Stormie + Chris said they are coming to the Three Trees on Tuesday to pay me a visit although I am working that night but they'll be on the Monster...not a flash sports car :lol:

Will the headlamp off my 600 fit your 900? I'm putting the twin headlights I got off Madhatter on mine.

SAMMYE
19-08-2005, 10:07 AM
When I acquired my first 14 points many, many moons ago, I got a totting up ban for 6 months. After this I was back to 0 points in theory, but the 12 was still on the license so to speak. My insurance was loaded with 40%, which is great when you are 19 and drive a 2.8Ghia X Grandad. Luckily I still had a copy of my clean license which served for insurance purposes for 5 years. Luckily, I have never made an insurance claim so got away with it, even with those pesky kids! My total points now is 23, but only 3 are valid at the mo'....

I would never condone doing this although I must admit not informing my insurance company immediately when I received 5 points i kept putting it off and the longer I did it the harder it got to tell them, I bit the bullet about 5 months later but even that was stupid because if I had a crash effectively I think my Insurance could have been invalid and I wouldnt have got an bean and may have had to pay for any damage to any other parties involved :eek:

Not worth it in my eyes to save a few quid

oh and while I am admiting things I also nicked a silver crayon in primary school!....... come on dont tell me you wouldnt have done the same...... after all how many silver crayon's have you seen??

Scotty
19-08-2005, 12:49 PM
I've decided to make the most of this ban and use it as a '28 day bike project'

que mad panic when you realise you bike is still in bits and thers only 3 days left of the ban :eek:

Chappers
19-08-2005, 01:04 PM
que mad panic when you realise you bike is still in bits and thers only 3 days left of the ban :eek:

LOL - seat cowl needs spraying to match tank, flakey engine, dull yukky looking exhaust pipes, manky looking swingarm etc, think I can get it done in that time...I'd be gutted if something didn't go to plan and I still couldn't get out on my bike come 15th Sept :eek:

little devil
22-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Someone up there really likes you, I think you got off lightly!!

Have fun doing the bike up.

H