PDA

View Full Version : Rear sus. rose joints

Lost Again
15-08-2005, 11:56 AM
A call to anyone that's changed their rose joints recently.
Coluld anybody give me some idea of sizes, i.e. thread size and pitch into the suspension arch and hole diameter through the ball joint itself.
Going to try to get them from a local bearing stockist rather than pay ducati prices but would like to get them before I take the bike apart on saturday.

Cheers for any help

Emily
15-08-2005, 12:05 PM
I got mine from BSL Ltd, the part number is SMG1040.

Have a look on their website www.bsl.com

I think they were about £15 each, blinking bargain!

Emily

Pedro
15-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Part number from Bearing Services is SMG1040 I think, I paid about £14 each for them. Identical to the Ducati item which list at about £45 each - same manufacturer too.

Ped

Emily
15-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Beat ya! :p

Lost Again
15-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Cheers for that, now on to question 2.
I'm planning on winding them out a bit further than standard, how much thread do I want to leave in the arch to keep on the safe side?

Zimbo
15-08-2005, 02:47 PM
My local BSL a few weeks ago told me that the SMG1040 is no longer listed.
What is needed is a JAM10, which they supplied at £15 each.

A Yerbury
15-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Cheers for that, now on to question 2.
I'm planning on winding them out a bit further than standard, how much thread do I want to leave in the arch to keep on the safe side?

I think I read 10mm somewhere, tbh and unwound mine a bit and the rear feels a bit twitchy, it must just be me though and the front of mine is very low, about 25mm through the yokes.

Pedro
15-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Beat ya! :p

Yeah, but who gave you the information in the first place?

;)

Phoenix
15-08-2005, 10:01 PM
The above is correct Jam10. As for winding them out - I didn't like the idea of doing that to be honest as it looks like a weak spot to me. Choice is yours. :)

Pedro
16-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Louigi Moto do an extender to raise the rear ride height without exposing too much thread and weakening the link - about £20 I think

Ped

Lost Again
16-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Cheers for the advice ladies and gents.
The joints at the minute are wound all the way in (must have been owned by one of the little people at some point), is this normal? I thought that as standard there was about 10mm of thread showing. Surely the whole point of the rose joint is to allow for some adjustability, otherwise it would have been cheaper for them to have welded a bearing race on the end of the arch? So my logic goes that if it's set as 10mm as standard it could safely go to 15-20mm. All i'm after is quicker steering without dropping the front too much and reducing ground clearance.
I may just be talking poo, at which point I should probably take pedro's advice pay £20 and get the proper job.

Just wonderin s'all.

A Yerbury
16-08-2005, 10:02 AM
well as I mentioned, having less weight over the rear has made mine feel a bit twitchy, (I also mentioned that it was prob all psycholoylogiycal and stuff) so see how you get on.

Lost Again
16-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Hmmm. as I said, the joints are wound all the way in at the minute which means the bike is super dooper stable. not a hint of a wobble at the bars, which also means that it doesn't turn as quickly as it could do. I know that it should handle better than it does which is why I want to sharpen it up but without overdoing it.

Danny
16-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Right, speak to Louigi Moto, get a jack up kit for £20, then fit it and wind them out as far as you dare, then ride it like you stole it!

Just done it to mine, and its undoubtably the best mod to date.

Lost Again
16-08-2005, 11:32 AM
sounds like thats the way to go. I'll have to try and get that done in the next couple of weeks seeing as I'm visiting my parents back up in Northumberland for a week or 2, where the twisties never end!

One last question, where on earth do I find Luigi Moto?

A Yerbury
16-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Hmmm. as I said, the joints are wound all the way in at the minute which means the bike is super dooper stable. not a hint of a wobble at the bars, which also means that it doesn't turn as quickly as it could do. I know that it should handle better than it does which is why I want to sharpen it up but without overdoing it.

which is why lowering the front is better, and try some clip ons? all relative like.....

Danny
16-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Try his website

http://www.louigimoto.co.uk/

or take a look at this thead

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=12412&highlight=jack+kits

A Yerbury
16-08-2005, 05:17 PM
remember phoenix also tried some and took them off again toot sweets. Its all rlative and that....

spacemonkey
16-08-2005, 05:31 PM
I thought the common concensus for a quick tweak was to have them 2.5 turns out from tight, which is standard. If i ever actually get round to replacing mine then this is what I'll do.

Phoenix
16-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Did take them off yes - made Max handle very badly but others have them. It was way too high for me, could no longer touch the floor and even though the forks were altered to suit it made no difference. The slightest touch on the bars and the front slapped like a Essex Gal - I did 2 laps at Castle Combe and had them taken off.

Lost Again
17-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Did take them off yes - made Max handle very badly but others have them. It was way too high for me, could no longer touch the floor and even though the forks were altered to suit it made no difference. The slightest touch on the bars and the front slapped like a Essex Gal - I did 2 laps at Castle Combe and had them taken off.

You say you had the forks altered to suit? does that mean you lowered the front end to try and keep the seat height similar to standard? If so then coupled with the jack up kit the forks would be nigh on vertical! a touch flighty perhaps. At the minute the bike is really stable and doesn't turn all too quickly so either the backs going up or the fronts coming down. Seeing as I don't have too much trouble in the leg department i thought it would make sense to jack the back end rather than drop the front and lose ground clearance.
Phoenix, if you've still got those jack up bits do you want to sell them by any chance?

A Yerbury
17-08-2005, 04:31 PM
You say you had the forks altered to suit? does that mean you lowered the front end to try and keep the seat height similar to standard? If so then coupled with the jack up kit the forks would be nigh on vertical! a touch flighty perhaps. At the minute the bike is really stable and doesn't turn all too quickly so either the backs going up or the fronts coming down. Seeing as I don't have too much trouble in the leg department i thought it would make sense to jack the back end rather than drop the front and lose ground clearance.
Phoenix, if you've still got those jack up bits do you want to sell them by any chance?

what tyres do you have? can make a big diff.

Phoenix
17-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Max handles great again since they were removed. I had about 18 mil of fork showing through the yolks so they were pushed through till they were level with the top. Given the 25 mil height adjusters (equating to much more on the arse end) it was too much and the back was too high. Only did it for ground clearance as I keep touching the bellypan and my high level exhausts down. However decided i'll stick with that and my sweet handling Max.

Anyway back to the question - no I don't have them I gave them to AK but Louigi on here is the maker so you can get them through him.