PDA

View Full Version : Shell Optimax

Mr C
14-08-2005, 07:10 PM
I'll pretty much stop and fill as soon as the light come on so could be Tesco BP Texaco, Where ever. But if ive stopped at a Shell I'll put optimax in cant say that its felt any different whether in a car or bike.
Untill now... well Now I have the Termi's Power Commader K&N and open airbox today was the first time i used Optimax And Feck me I swear its just got so much more responsive and was lifting the front wheel in 2nd gear off the throttle.
Just wondering if anyone else uses it? If not and you have an S4 with same mods as mine go try it and report back.

w108rna
14-08-2005, 08:24 PM
I don't know if its one of those 'i'm using optimax and feels faster' things or whether it does actually make a difference? I used it in my Mini Cooper, VX220 and then my Cooper S as well as my 900 Carb Monster and found that they all felt better and ran well on optimax. I also get very good MPG on the stuff too!

Thumbs up to Shell and Optimax.

claicerrig
14-08-2005, 09:02 PM
The Petrol of choice in my S4 and when my Nissan Maxes out on LPG :eek: :D and goes to petrol mode :D

But there aint many stations flooging Optimax in Anglesey :(

Paranoid Dave
14-08-2005, 09:31 PM
i heard it dont do the engine much good as its too pure or something, some clubs even have pages of forum dedicated to how much they hate it. I never noticed much performance benefit from it the few times i used it but i swear i got a few extra miles just like you.

Pedro
14-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Optimax is best used in high spec motors with knock sensors etc (Scoobies, Evos, Skylines etc) and is unlikely to be of any benefit to most others. Bike or Ride mag did dyno tests not so long ago and found no advantage to using Optimax and recommended saving yer money.

Someone on here works for Cosworth or something and knows all about this

Ped

The Kevlar Kid
15-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Someone on here works for Cosworth or something and knows all about this

That'll be Paul620Sie. He works for ProDrive I think.

rxtim
15-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Tesco have just started their own version, 99 RON in our local station.
Can't be bothered to try it though.
Was advised to use higher octane fuel by my tuner when doing high speed stuff on the Busa, assume less chance of detonation.
A review I read rated the Esso/Texaco as the best of the higher octane fuels.

Will
15-08-2005, 08:08 AM
I'll pretty much stop and fill as soon as the light come on so could be Tesco BP Texaco, Where ever. But if ive stopped at a Shell I'll put optimax in cant say that its felt any different whether in a car or bike.
Untill now... well Now I have the Termi's Power Commader K&N and open airbox today was the first time i used Optimax And Feck me I swear its just got so much more responsive and was lifting the front wheel in 2nd gear off the throttle.
Just wondering if anyone else uses it? If not and you have an S4 with same mods as mine go try it and report back.

My 620ie defiintely produces more soot at the end of the silencers when using Optimax - and it's not due to the Optimax 'cleaning' the engine. I questioned Shell about this on two separate occasions and they didn't answer - however they had answerd previous questions of mine about Optimax without hesitation - hmmmmmmmm. Apart from the 'extra' soot it doesn't seem to make any difference to tthe performance of the bike.

paul620sie
15-08-2005, 12:01 PM
That'll be Paul620Sie. He works for ProDrive I think.

Yep I work at Prodrive (Manager in the engine test division). We discussed Optimax loads in this thread:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=6357&page=4&pp=15&highlight=optimax

My thoughts are, unless your engine has a knock sensor you will not get any benefit form running on Optimax.

As monsters a not fitted with a knock sensor 95RON is right fuel, buying branded fuel (SHELL, BP, etc) may be better than supermarkets as the additives the use are more likely to keep the engine clean (back of valves, combustion chamber etc). 91RON fuel will cause "pinking" (pre-ignition) and damage your engine long term, 98RON is an unnecessary luxury on the monster.

I always use 95RON in my Monster and VW Golf (which has a knock sensor). I've used Optimax, 98 RON and 100RON (special mix for work :-)) in the Golf, yes there was a small improvement in acceleration etc but not enough to justify the higher price.

Paul