PDA

View Full Version : Finally got one!

abbeyalto
13-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi all!

After my problems earlier on this year with a sprained ankle, I finally got round to test-riding a 620 courtesy of On Yer Steve a couple of days ago.

I was very pleased with the performance of the bike - the acceleration was way better and, more importantly, much more usable than that of my old Kwak 550 and I also loved the engine braking, which makes it much easier for me to stay confident going into corners. The brakes were also fab: the muscles I built up 5 years ago on my GT will barely be needed here!

One thing that was worrying me a bit before the test was whether the bike would have enough grunt for motorway overtaking. I hope to do as little motorway work as possible when I get the bike but I'm happy to report that I had no problems accelerating way past 70mph in top on the M40. The bike I tested has a top speed that I'm never going to get near during ownership.

As a consequence of the test I've bought the 620Sie they had on the forecourt, to be picked up on Thursday (I hope the weather's better than yesterday's "hottest day ever"!). Steve told me that the ride height was the same as the red 620ie I tested (not sure about that myself though), so, all being well, I'll be out and about somewhere between Hereford and London over the next month or two!

I've been watching this site closely for the last 6 months and I'm hoping, being a relative 2-wheel noob (and an unqualified Duc noob), that you will put up with some silly questions from me as graciously as you have done for other new owners on this site in the past!

Now for some insurance and some new booties...

With hopes to meet up with some of you soon,

A

Pedro
13-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Good choice!

Ped

paul620sie
13-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Insurance, try www.ducatiinsurance.co.uk they quoted me significantly less than others.

Enjoy your bike, Paul

abbeyalto
15-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Dudes:

Just ringing around now to find some insurance quotes. I thought Ducati Insurance had come up trumps with a quote of 450 (I have no NCB), until I phoned Laxtons - very nice guy on the end of the phone, who quoted me 325 pounds fully comp.

Has anyone got any other insurance ideas? I've left my details with insuremyducati and they'll be calling me back soon.

Looks like my booties are going to be Altberg: I like the fact that they're a small UK firm, and the boots don't look too Hasbro so they should go with the rest of my kit.

Thanks, guys and gals

singletrack
15-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Well done abbeyalto.
A great choice of bike.

abbeyalto
15-08-2005, 03:09 PM
I thought I'd give Bennetts a call on the off-chance that they might be able to quote competetively, and blow me if they didn't provide the lowest one yet.

276 quid fully comp, garaged in the middle of nowhere, 0 years NCD.

I don't think I'm going to beat that whatever I try, so Bennetts it is.

All the best

Benjy

SAMMYE
15-08-2005, 04:08 PM
I thought I'd give Bennetts a call on the off-chance that they might be able to quote competetively, and blow me if they didn't provide the lowest one yet.

276 quid fully comp, garaged in the middle of nowhere, 0 years NCD.

I don't think I'm going to beat that whatever I try, so Bennetts it is.

All the best

Benjy

well done abbey - try H&R insurance though 01224 848100

norrie
16-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Well done.

Norrie.

slob
16-08-2005, 02:56 PM
What part of London Benjy?

abbeyalto
17-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Just east of Finsbury Park - you?

B

slob
17-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Docklands but spend most of my riding time in Kent or Essex.

A Yerbury
17-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Just east of Finsbury Park - you?

B

Manor house then? I lived in Finsborough National park for years.

slob
17-08-2005, 06:07 PM
krap(p)y-rub-sniF(f)?

A Yerbury
17-08-2005, 06:43 PM
who first coined that? I remeber Harry hills character.....

abbeyalto
18-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Picked up the bike this afternoon from Aylesbury and had a leisurely (ahem) ride back to Herefordshire. What a load of great fun! I think I'll do Wales tomorrow!

By the way, I need to kit the bike out with some security (phall-strength chain & lock, disklock, cover), some cheap luggage (not tank bag) and some bits and bobs to do the chain (lube & stand).

Is there a good cheap online shop that you guys and gals use for these things?

Cheers for any advice

Benjy

slob
18-08-2005, 09:43 PM
I use,
http://www.mandp.co.uk/
or try
http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/

abbeyalto
20-08-2005, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the reply, slob, I'll look into those links

I did indeed 'do Wales' today - travelled from Worcester to Aberystwyth over the hills (210 miles round trip), what a truly incredible load of amazing views!

Then I headed back via the A44 to Hereford, an utterly brilliant road and one I should recommend to anyone... The Monster really came into its own when I could give it some welly (really took the weight off the wrists), even though my noob legs and buns are giving me some gip now that I've got home! It didn't help hearing how many bikers have been maimed on the same road when I got to the pub this evening though...

May the forks be with you

Benjy