PDA

View Full Version : throttle sticking

djkus
13-08-2005, 10:53 AM
hi , noticed today that my throttle is sticking, means i can drive up the road, let go and continue at the same speed..
bit worrying, if i come off or something , it will keep the bike going!
is there an easy cure for this?
its 2001 monster 600 with 5k miles on the clock..

Richard_S
13-08-2005, 12:01 PM
I’m having the very same thing but only occurs when I give the throttle a short burst of potatas.
Ditto your request for a cure, its starting to lose me brownie points now.

Nonnie
13-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Hey, this happened to me the other night. Luckily I was pillion so therefore didn't have the immediate "panic" that had apparently set about in the rider! It was pouring with rain too. A few handfuls of throttle plus clutch was enough to make it better. Somewhere on this forum, though I can't find it, there was a thread about it not so long ago.
I will be interested too in your replies. I can't think what I would do. Probably hit the kill switch and hope to God there is a way off the road!

A Yerbury
13-08-2005, 12:11 PM
mine were locking up a while back, undo the switchgear, undo twist grip, fiddle about a bit then put back together. you may be able to get some wd into the cable without taking it all apart as they can be fiddley dee to put back together.

McMONSTRO
13-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Had this happen a couple of years ago while I was warming the last bike up round the back of the house, blipped the throttle and it stayed 1/2 open!!
Turned out it was the twistgrip rubber, it had "crept" to the outside of the bars and was rubbing against the bar end weight!....Solution...small washer inserted between the weight and the bars,never did it again.
This may not be your problem but its dead easy to check, good luck!

Mcmonstro

boppy
13-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Yep had same problem, turned out to be twistgrip rubber rubbing against the kill switch housing. A spray of WD40 and all was right again.

djkus
13-08-2005, 04:05 PM
im thinking mine is the twist grip at the moment, as like you i sprayed some magic wd40 along it, and it seems to be better now.. ill know more after taking it for a long ride..
something simple anyway im sure..
ill let u know.
thanks

MikeG
22-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Maybe a bit late but....

Similar problem solved by following throttle cables to the carbs, the cables go around a pulley, this can get quite gunged up, its a bit difficult to see but get in there and clean up the cables and pulley thing. Worked for me!

djkus
24-08-2005, 07:59 PM
i actually was looking at that the other day thinking that the problem could lie there...
what was it u put around the pulley round sort of thing ?
if its not that, its got to be the cable someplace.

Scotty
24-08-2005, 08:38 PM
if all the above fails, it may be frayed cables in side the outer sheeth, there not too expensive to replace and it can be done by yourself (if you have foot long double jointed fingers)

Richard_S
24-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Jesus I could just about cope with the wd-40, my screwdriver is currently on loan afterall.

I may actually have to do something radical and borrow some of those fingers, seems ok for now but I remain uneasy in most departments.

Keep me abreast.

Ta

Scotty
24-08-2005, 09:00 PM
youre welcome to pop round and id 'fix' it for ya

Richard_S
24-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Very kind of you sir, but I do not spend nearly enough time in sunny Gateshead.
Nevertheless I will keep you on standby and thanks again.

Wow, you see, a night ended with courtesy. Lets all have a cuddle.

IMO etc etc you do need to go black - blue is a very strange tale involving not many highlights. Shades tend to overlap and can look a bit middley IMO etc etc, sorry etc etc IMO.
I’ve always liked the idea of the stinger look personally.
Could be the fighter in me (who is very small) but I say black and yellow is the next Bonnie and Clyde.

Ciao

djkus
29-08-2005, 06:07 PM
ok, i found the problem out! after checking cables and all sorts of things, i loosened the screw on the end of the bars..thus freeing the handle a little and it worked.. however when i tighten it up as it should be, it sticks again,
i cant figure out how to tighten it up and keep a little bit free for handle to turn round.. check pics out to see what i mean.

Scotty
29-08-2005, 07:26 PM
push the rubber further on (oh err) to the grip and/or use a washer (of smaller diammeter than twist grip assembly)

djkus
30-08-2005, 07:55 PM
ok guys, here is what i done to fix it. i added a small washer in between the bar end and the throttle grip... problem solved!!!

check this first if you have this problem, i guess after a bit of wear and tear its bound to happen.

thanks for ur advice on this matter.
paul