PDA

View Full Version : superbike speedo

LAURENT
13-08-2005, 09:30 AM
I want to replace my S4R speedo with the superbike model (749 or 999) . Anybody has done this job already ?
Thanks

Laurent

marchesini
13-08-2005, 12:18 PM
I want to replace my S4R speedo with the superbike model (749 or 999) . Anybody has done this job already ?
Thanks

Laurent

Not tried this but anything to do with removing the immobiliser on the S4R is a major pain in the armpits. There is an immobiliser that resides in the clocks which is constantly communicating with the ECU's located elsewhere on the bike. I believe that they all need to be programmed in a particular way so that they all talk to each other. If the immobiliser in the 999 clocks are in any way different, then it is a sure fire bet that it won't work. Perhaps if you replace the whole immobilser system from the 999 it will work but then you would be looking at 1200 big un's?

I have talked to anybody who'll listen (John Hackett, Ducati UK, Sigma, Pro Twins) about replacing the S4R clocks and the only way it is possible (that I know of) is to replace the ECU completely with a FIM U59 computer which allows you to disable the immobiliser function thus allowing you to fit whatever clocks you want.

Again, this only relates to starting the bike and getting the clocks and computer talking to each other - whether the other 999 functions work is another issue altogether.

HTH

simon

LAURENT
13-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the tip .I will probably not do it. I'm disapointed because I hate the S4R speedo and also have a crack in the glass.

Cheers

Laurent

marchesini
13-08-2005, 04:31 PM
If you do decide to go for it, then I'll know next week whether all of this theory works. Attached is the dash that's going on my bike.

BTW, if you were going to get a Power Commander then the FIM unit is much more adjustable i.e. Fuel Map, Rear cylinder Correction Map, Spark Map, Fan Cutins, and Rev Limiter aswell.

The dash also has a few more functions: shift lights, lap timer etc.

All of this is overkill just to replace some cracked glass but isn't that how major mods usually start ;)

Best regards

LAURENT
13-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Let me know if you know more about it !
Thanks