PDA

View Full Version : Ducati Spares Problems

Duncan
12-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Is anyone else on here having problems getting basic spare parts from Ducati or the Ducati stores?

I have been waiting since June for a speedo cable from Ducati Bristol. They have a number on order and Italy has Nil Stock. I was promised that the factory were getting stock 2 weeks ago and I would have my cable by now - to date - NOTHING. Italy is now on holiday for August so doubt if I will see anything till September.

From speaking to other dealers it seems I am not alone. There are mountains of parts on back order and this is not confined to the UK.

If anyone is experiencing difficulties then please detail in this forum
1. What you are waiting for
2. The year and model of bike
3. When it was ordered
4. The dealer it was ordered from.

I will gather your comments together and forward it to Ducati and hopefully get things moving.

mad_turnips
12-08-2005, 03:07 PM
i have had no a little problem in the uk but if you phone Bikers ( ducati rep) in jersey they usually have it and will send it staight out

Scotty
12-08-2005, 03:15 PM
you can sorce a speedo cable from proberly any other bike ,i had one once of a yamahar something
didnt last as well but worked ok

Duncan
12-08-2005, 04:04 PM
you can sorce a speedo cable from proberly any other bike ,i had one once of a yamahar something
didnt last as well but worked ok

Scotty

I probabaly have one in my garage, I certainly have enough bike bits and it hasnt stopped me using the bike.

The whole point is that Ducati have a legal responsibility to supply spares for bikes till they are out of production at least 6 (I think) years and as they stopped making speedo bikes just 3 years ago then they are failing.

As I have been told by their own dealers that there is a general spares problem, that the factory has been on strike and 101 other things I want to get to the bottom of this. Certainly as a club, a group of people with similar issues can achieve much more than one person. If I am going to complain to Ducati then I would rather take a whole load of problems to them because they cant afford to ignore that.

The Kevlar Kid
12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm all sorted now, but I recently (a month ago) had over a six week wait for some fork bushes (a service part). I was told that Ducati had rationalised their stock and had overdone it - resulting in a shortage of basic parts.

Almost makes you want to buy Japanese ;)

boppy
12-08-2005, 04:33 PM
I was waiting 5 weeks for a speedo cable, it finally arrived last Saturday. As you can imagine I was not well chuffed missing some half decent biking weather

LAURENT
12-08-2005, 05:31 PM
The hub of the rear swing arm of my S4R has been grind away by the sproket .
Ducati agreed to cover this under the warranty even if the bike is more than 2 years now.
Nice isn't it? but the problem is, they can't get the parts !!! May be 3 or 4 weeks if lucky !!!
In witch other business the factory close in the peak season !!!!!! Not in mine anyway.
They should close the factory in January , it wouldn't border anybody !
:mad:

Laurent

spacemonkey
12-08-2005, 05:32 PM
You should try ordering camshafts... oh, the joy I had last year...

Jamcoly
12-08-2005, 06:06 PM
over 2 months for a fork seal and still waiting

Plum
12-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Duncan

Check DucatiSparesOnline via fleabay. I ordered some bits for my monnie that you would think a dealer would hold in stock, such as a fuel filter. I have ordered twice now, and the stuff has always arrived in time (bare in mind i live in Jersey) and i have been more than happy.
Another place i would suggest is J Hackett/Ducati Coventry. Again excellent service.

Hope this helps you out

A Yerbury
12-08-2005, 06:39 PM
he's on ebay and should have some fork seals, I normally phone Batty O'd at ducati glasgow, "special price" but we are lovers and have a special arrangement...He say's ******** to the lot of you apparently, how rustic!

Fosse Foxfight
12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
I was waiting 5 weeks for a speedo cable, it finally arrived last Saturday. As you can imagine I was not well chuffed missing some half decent biking weather
The speedo cable stopped you ridng the bike?

A Yerbury
12-08-2005, 07:05 PM
"I probabaly have one in my garage, I certainly have enough bike bits and it hasnt stopped me using the bike." ....He is giving out these mixed messages! like those ladies in short skirts buying their own drinks! it's all rather confusing!

boppy
13-08-2005, 04:48 PM
The speedo cable stopped you ridng the bike?
Yep wanted to keep an accurate record of the mileage as I've owed it from new (7 1/2 years) and has a fdsh.

Fosse Foxfight
13-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Yep wanted to keep an accurate record of the mileage as I've owed it from new (7 1/2 years) and has a fdsh.
:rolleyes: :p I thought you were serious for a moment and then I realised you weer on a total pisstake :D Good one....no seriously

Duncan
13-08-2005, 07:52 PM
And within 8 hours of this thread being started, Ducati Bristol ring me with a cable. In its original packaging, date of manufacture July 05.

All a bit spooky the power of the UKMOC forum

spacemonkey
13-08-2005, 10:23 PM
"Another place i would suggest is J Hackett/Ducati Coventry. Again excellent service."

That's who I ordered my camshaft from...

cheeky monkey
14-08-2005, 10:30 AM
only had to order 2 parts up to now gear lever (cancelled after waiting 5 weeks) got one second hand. and a screw for the side stand 6 weeks and counting. i dont blame my supplier at all, you cant get what isnt available. but ducati really does need to sort out there spares dept

CK & AK
14-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Duncan - its 10 years they have to supply part for, after ceasing manufacture. (provided there were enough sold - which in all the Ducati models in the UK, there have been over this level)
The only case for not meeting that 10 year criterion, is when the company goes into receivership & subsequently closes, making that marque totally obsolete & therefore a 'soon to be collectors item'.

It does seem across the board with Ducati's at present that the 'spares' are not always available - but if you kick up a stink enough - * ting* they suddenly magic one up from somewhere :rolleyes:

C

Mrs Soup
15-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Duncan

Glad you now have speedo cable.

Thanks for jogging my memory, I have a part on order from Ducati coventry since June for a bike I no longer own !!!

I got the offending article from 'ducatsparesonline' recommended earlier, and will use them as my first port of call in future as thay seem to carry at least as good stock as any dealer.

rxtim
16-08-2005, 08:59 AM
For parts

Can't recommend Moto Rapido highly enough.

Can't recommend three cross at all.

Runningman
16-08-2005, 11:06 AM
In the two years I've owned the s4, it's been off the road in dealerships and garages for a total of 6 months. That's despite a full service history at the correct intervals, and my, shall we say, relaxed riding style.

This time does not include servicing, which usually only takes a day. Each long term problem has been put down to "waiting on parts", by the dealers in question.

I do not relax when I'm bikeless, and progress the work as much as my other commitments will allow. It's time consuming and frustrating; most of the time the dealerships appear to have no idea as to when the bike is likely to be ready, oh and they never, ever, call you back.

This does nothing to further the impression amongst my non Ducati riding friends, that our bikes are no longer technically flawed.

I love the bike, the marque and the owners club, but I am seriously thinking about switching to a more reliable brand, without the attendant problems.

I would like to think we could use our clout as a large user group, to lobby Ducati UK in an attempt to resolve these issues before we all decide that riding Ducati' is only for people who can afford to run more than one bike.

The sometimes Running Man

rxtim
16-08-2005, 12:27 PM
And here is me running a Monster and a 916 and selling the Busa :twisted:

Runningman
16-08-2005, 01:34 PM
And here is me running a Monster and a 916 and selling the Busa :twisted:

Thats funny, it was a 'busa that I rode pillion on to Donnington after my most recent 3 week sojourn; really enjoyed it, and was most impressed by the bike.

Got any pictures?

Shauns4
16-08-2005, 07:46 PM
The daft thing is Ducati actually manufacture very little (if anything now?), most parts are bought in so they are out there somewhere. The cambelts for example are made by Gates which is a UK company, i have tried to buy them direct to cut out the Ducati mark up but haven't got anywhere.