PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Only firing on one pot! Flywheel pick-ups?

Woodsy1
12-08-2005, 12:31 AM
I am a new member. Sorry this message is long but it will be easier to describe the prodress so far. Only had my 99 M600 for a couple of months but not really used it due to this problem. It had been garaged for 18 months when I bought it off a family friend. Started all right but would die under load and presumed it was a fuel blockage, etc.

Flushed it out still the same so took it for a long ride to clear it and it did after 15 mins. Great, but back to normal everytime the engine cooled. Checked carbs, plugs, leads, earths, alarm, etc. but still same symptoms. However this process revealed there was only a spark to the front cylinder when the rear HT lead was disconnected and not earthed??????????? :confused:

I thought I had eliminated the flywheel pick-up leads but swapped them over between ECU/CDI thingies and now the front gets a spark and not the rear. Checked all possible connections and seem fine.Could this just be dodgy cables or is more likely the actual pickups in the crankcase? Also does anyone know if it is possible to remove these leads from the crankcase or is the rubber boot that that enters the casing moulded the the pickups?( I resisted the urge to pull at it once I had unscrewed the plastic plug/nut that is threaded into the casing.) Why should the engine warming up make the pick-ups suddenly work and the front fire-up?(As this is dangerous, especially when the power triples mid-corner!)

I havn't found a manual(doesn't seem to be one?) so progress has been slow to date? Any help much appreciated as it's just sitting in the garage which defeats the whole object. Plus I'm getting really tired after too many late nights in the garage.

Thanx Andy.

nik_the_brief
12-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi Andy, first of all welcome, sorry to hear you're having trouble.

It sounds like it could well be your pick-up coils. They come as a set complete with wiring loom (about £110 if I remember correctly). Cross your fingers that a dealer in the UK has some coz mine went a couple of years ago and I had to get them from the factory in Italy (which closes down for the whole summer virtually).

You can test the pick-up coils in situ with a Multimeter, tis a couple of minutes work and it should tell you if they're naffed or not. Even if it is the wiring rather than the coil itself you'll have to replace the lot.

Try ths thread for further info... http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=8525&highlight=pick+coil

Haynes Book of Lies (Copyright Spacemonkey) does exist for the bike - I'm relatively local so if you want to borrow mine just PM me.

If you do have to replace them you'll have a hell of a time finding a puller to remove the left hand crank case - I think I might still have the one I made somewhere if it's of any help. Anyway PM me if you are in need of a hand or words of dubious wisdom.

A Yerbury
12-08-2005, 06:28 PM
you checked the plug but did you replace it? mine did this, weak spark good start and cheaper than lookin at the coils?
Alex.

spacemonkey
12-08-2005, 06:30 PM
I had shot pick up coils too, and also had to wait an age to get them, and that was in winter! I took the cowards way out and paid my man to fix them. I use Rosso Corse as listed elsewhere. Cost a bomb, but nothing else has gone wrong since. Have you tried checking the resistance of the pick ups? See the Book of Lies for this. Also, try to eliminate the coils themselves and the cdi units by getting creative with wiring combo, but remember the correct wiring! Don't forget the simple things like potential shagged plugs, but I think you have done this.

scrumpster
12-08-2005, 11:13 PM
This may well be irrelevant, but I had similar problem with my 2000 M600 just after I bought it. Used to cut out on me, only one cylinder would fire and plugs constantly fouled. It turned out to be due to warped clutch plates, had them changed and not had one problem (touch wood, oh apart from leaky fork seals!) since! My bike had only done 4k when I bought her. Also use a bigger plug now and no fouling :)

Woodsy1
14-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Sorry ive been busy last couple of days and not had the chance to check up. Thanks for the responses. I've not given up but my dad knows a motorcycle electrician. I'm gonna try getting him round to determine exacty what is wrong and hopefully he'll give me an inlook into the avoided world of wiring and diagnostics. I think a multimeter type product will definately help. I'm certain I've covered the basics but it will probably turn out to be the plugs or something equally trivial.

I just hope I wont have to wait around for the factory to start working. I've also got leaky fork seals but I'm gonna service them because I dont think they've ever been touched.

Thanks again and any moments and further clarity and insight much appreciated.