PDA

View Full Version : TVR and Italian bikes

DesmoDog
10-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Anyone heard the one about the blackpool based car company buying the italian superbike company? No, it's not really a joke.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=23&t=198240

DesmoDom
10-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Hope their bikes are better than their cars :mad: :mad: :mad:

Baz

Vman
10-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Be nice to see something on two wheels that looks the part, Buell have a lot of attitude, thats about it.

Seeing the TVR Bike sketches in MCN a few weeks ago, they look pretty mean and tasty and if the bikes are like the NEW TVR`S then they should be quite brutal....

Bring it on.

MikeG
10-08-2005, 01:23 PM
My neighbour has owned a few TVRs and they all look and sound ace. BUT... there always seems to be a reliability issue.......

Mind you, thats what everyone says about Ducati

DesmoDom
10-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Well we paid £35.000 for our 4.0l Chimera and in the 18 months we had it, we had to have the boot carpet, along with the boot seals, changed 3 times, the carpets (drivers + passenger) changed 2 times, as the bloody thing leaked like a sieve. It needed re-painting all along the (L) side, as after a few washes, the primer started showing through. The windscreen started to de-laminate around the bottom (L) corner, the headlight bezels kept falling off, the breather for the fuel tank was duff, so a vacuum built up until the valve on the breather released, making a bang (incl vibration) big enough to make you think you had been hit up the rear.
Apart from that it was fine (bit of a pain having to wear a dry suit & wellies though)
Oh yeah, when we had had enough and come to sell it, we lost £15.000, should have bought a Boxter !!!

Those bikes do look very good though :D :D :D

Baz

Vman
10-08-2005, 10:15 PM
What year was yours?

I bet it was built before the russian brought the company, they are alot better now. (apparently?)

But just like Ducati`s , I`d never buy a Duke built before 1996, crap electrics, dodgy workmanship all over....Never get a duke built before 1996 or

Vman
What year was yours?

I bet it was built before the russian brought the company, they are alot better now. (apparently?)

But just like Ducati`s , I`d never buy a Duke built before 1996, crap electrics, dodgy workmanship all over....Never get a duke built before 1996 or

Vman
What year was yours?

But just like Ducati`s , I`d never buy a Duke built before 1996, crap electrics, dodgy workmanship all over....Never get a duke built before 1996 or an old TVR.

A Yerbury
10-08-2005, 10:22 PM
the workmanship was fine!! the motors are missile proof!! but yes the electrical components were a bit slapdash (at best)

Little Monster
10-08-2005, 10:27 PM
ok Vman, we heard you the first time :lol:

lucky motorbikes dont have carpet then isn't it really.....

Paranoid Dave
10-08-2005, 11:00 PM
i have faith in them. I hate to use the opinion of mr clarkson ;) but him and his mates think the new TVR is actually good, and that russian bloke has actually used his money well. they have no problem designing good looking and mean sounding machines, just the quality that DID let them down.
Benelli looked ok -ish. Some nice bits and some horrid bits but they were different looking I have to give them that. So if what they need is money and some serious backing, and if TVR are serious about bikes far better they use an established firm to get off the ground.

Sounds like a good plan to me, cant wait to hear one.

the guy who made my exhaust had a couple of those TVR carbon cans with the rounded metal ends, he fitted one to his buell :D He said I could have the other if i wanted and do a 2 into 1 for Kylie using it, but I opted not to. Could have been interesting tho. :eek:

DesmoDom
10-08-2005, 11:16 PM
We got ours new in 1999, we had no probs with the electrics, or the engine, the drive was fantastic as was the sound, but it was all let down by the other problems, also the sh1tty way we were treated at Broughtons in Cheltenham, their attitude seemed to be "you bought the car, it's your problem now".
I reckon we would still have it, if things had been better. To drive, they are faultless, to own one though is another story and I wish Mr Clarkson would BUY one (with his own money) and run it for a year, before ranting on how fantastic they are. :mad:

Chunter over :D

Baz

DesmoDom
10-08-2005, 11:22 PM
By the way Vman, my 1st Ducati, was a 94 model back in 94 and the only prob I had was a cylinder stud snap in both front and rear cyls, which was a factory recall, as they had a duff batch of studs in 94.

Baz

DesmoDog
11-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Now there's a thing - I was looking at mid 90s TVRs on piston heads and thinking that really was a lot of car for not much. Now I know why. Bummer. Back to considering an old 911.

fluffy
11-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Now there's a thing - I was looking at mid 90s TVRs on piston heads and thinking that really was a lot of car for not much. Now I know why. Bummer. Back to considering an old 911.

feel free to consider in our direction.. :)

www.backstreetsymphony.co.uk/porsche.htm