PDA

View Full Version : Closed or open that is the question

Paulk
10-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Whats the pros and cons of an open clutch cover obviously..on the dry clutch. :rolleyes:
Im thinking of my S4

SazzaG
10-08-2005, 10:37 AM
It looks and sounds cool.

Is that enough?

NattyBoy
10-08-2005, 10:52 AM
As sazza says..cons...extra cleaning to keep it bling..!!

Remember youll need to buy some stainless clutch springs as the originals will rust VERY quickly !!

Cheers
Nat

S4 MAD
10-08-2005, 12:48 PM
i think sazza hit the nail on the head. :burnout:

Pedro
10-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Lets the dust out, keeps it cooler and looks cool!

Scotty
10-08-2005, 04:34 PM
and the con is crash dammage can be worse with a flmsy carbon one apparently

Mr C
10-08-2005, 04:48 PM

Billet ones are stronger. Also and dont quote me on this, but it will obviously let water in if it rains. So imagine bike been parked up then caught in the rain you'd have wet clutch plates and no doubt little or no clutch.

Shauns4
10-08-2005, 08:23 PM
the clutch should last longer due it running cooler, the additional mechanical noise is a matter to taste, but for sure the 'rotating' clutch looks the part and probably thats why most owners fit them, me included.

If you use the bike in all weathers you may be better with a closed cover as rain may see the better of it.

Bunny
11-08-2005, 02:42 AM
So imagine bike been parked up then caught in the rain you'd have wet clutch plates and no doubt little or no clutch.

Water will not stop your clutch from working, most clutches run in oil, and they don't slip !!

Pro's as above, and as my godson says "gadagadagadaga" is cool :D

Duncan
11-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Open clutch. Good for slicing bacon.

Mr Cake
11-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Bearing that in mind, can you imagine a visit to the gravel trap on a trackday? What little clutch cover there is will make a good scoop for the kitty litter :eek: I'm pretty certain the clutch is noisy enough without a half 100weight of crap between the plates!

Dave

Shauns4
11-08-2005, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=Bunny]Water will not stop your clutch from working, most clutches run in oil, and they don't slip !!

I never said it would slip, the plates, springs, bolts will just rust, as for clutches that run in oil they use plate with a higher coefficient of friction so they can run in oil.

madhatter
17-08-2005, 12:14 PM
As sazza says..cons...extra cleaning to keep it bling..!!
Remember youll need to buy some stainless clutch springs as the originals will rust VERY quickly !!Nat

I'm looking for a red clutch plate, stainless springs etc, etc and a nice open clutch cover. Whilst I am looking on Spareshack and e-bay, what does the NatMeister have around his garage?

NattyBoy
17-08-2005, 01:31 PM
A load of 888 parts !!! :lol: Nothing like that at the minute mate

Nat