PDA

View Full Version : Height adjustment

xjrjohn
08-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi
I want to adjust (increase) the height.....Ive done a search and found a few threads..also looked in the owners manual which states the locking nut(s) isnt the one at either ends of the rod........is this correct?
John

fluffy
09-08-2005, 09:55 AM
On the S2r you've got the nice aluminium ride-height adjuster with a right and a left handed rod end, top and bottom respectively. Slacken off the gold locknuts with two 19mm open-enders remembering that the lower one is arse about face. Then turn the rod clockwise to increase the ride height. If you have the luxury of being able to take the weight off the suspension you'll find there's a point where the preload on the damper and the weight of the unsprung elements balance and you can simply turn the rod with your fingers. If it's on the side stand or a paddock stand you'll need to use the open-ender for that as well.

We did it the other way round to lower the bike which was a touch more involved 'cos we had to reduce the rod length and the length of the rod-end.

xjrjohn
09-08-2005, 08:00 PM
On the S2r you've got the nice aluminium ride-height adjuster with a right and a left handed rod end, top and bottom respectively. Slacken off the gold locknuts with two 19mm open-enders remembering that the lower one is arse about face. Then turn the rod clockwise to increase the ride height. If you have the luxury of being able to take the weight off the suspension you'll find there's a point where the preload on the damper and the weight of the unsprung elements balance and you can simply turn the rod with your fingers. If it's on the side stand or a paddock stand you'll need to use the open-ender for that as well.

We did it the other way round to lower the bike which was a touch more involved 'cos we had to reduce the rod length and the length of the rod-end.
Hi
Ta for the reply....so it seems the manual is wrong then? I 'm trying to get my head round this....dont I tighten the top locknut so it goes upwards away from the rod? :confused:
John

fluffy
10-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Couldn't comment on the manual i'm afraid....haven't looked at it.
The aluminium linkage is machined to have a 19mm hex each end. One of these hex's should have a groove nicked into the corners of it, this is the left hand threaded end and should be at the swingarm.
If you hold the linkage using a 19mm spanner, say at the top hex, you'll undo the top locknut by turning it anti-clockwise, again with your 19mm open-ender.
'cos the bottom end is left handed the exact same procedure applies, hold the linkage and turn the locknut anti-clockwise to free it.
Then a clockwise rotation of the linkage will extend the assembly, and vice versa.
Once you're happy with the ride-height, hold the linkage and turn both locknuts clockwise to secure everything.

you can't tighten the locknuts away from the rod, (i assume by rod you mean the aluminium member) you'll simply screw them to the end of their travel against the spherical bearing.

my assumption in all this is that the s4r is the same as the s2r...!

xjrjohn
10-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Couldn't comment on the manual i'm afraid....haven't looked at it.
The aluminium linkage is machined to have a 19mm hex each end. One of these hex's should have a groove nicked into the corners of it, this is the left hand threaded end and should be at the swingarm.
If you hold the linkage using a 19mm spanner, say at the top hex, you'll undo the top locknut by turning it anti-clockwise, again with your 19mm open-ender.
'cos the bottom end is left handed the exact same procedure applies, hold the linkage and turn the locknut anti-clockwise to free it.
Then a clockwise rotation of the linkage will extend the assembly, and vice versa.
Once you're happy with the ride-height, hold the linkage and turn both locknuts clockwise to secure everything.

you can't tighten the locknuts away from the rod, (i assume by rod you mean the aluminium member) you'll simply screw them to the end of their travel against the spherical bearing.

my assumption in all this is that the s4r is the same as the s2r...!
Hi
Thanks for the very informative reply Fluffy..really helpful :)
John