PDA

View Full Version : Another one for the PC Brigade

Mark Walker
05-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Broadband

Right, just received my TISCALI pack with broadband stuff in it. Put CD in PC, followed instructions, installed software, plugged ADSL filter into downstairs socket with telephone, and filter in upstairs socket with modem, modem to PC with USB cable. Switch on, no connection. Line has been activated, and no problems as far as I know. remove phone from downstairs filter and disable firewall (not particularly sensible) and it connects. Reenable firewall and stays connected (phew)......reconnect phone in downstairs socket, and the connection is lost and no dial tone error returned. This is a cordless phone, cheap, but it works! Phone TISCALI and after 10 minutes of checking that the computer was plugged in and I hadn't jammed the USB cable up my own backside, there advice was to either buy a new phone :confused: or move the phone away from the filter, 'How far' I asked, 'oh a bit far' I was told....what the F*** does that mean? I have unistalled and reinstalled everything 5 times, tried each usb port and still find this all confusing.....any ideas? Or should I just get my money back and go with BT who I have my email accounts with.....or at least did until i believed TISCALI when they said I could continue to use my old accounts.......not that I have quite figured out how to do that yet even with every combination of settings in the account preferences........I'm generally not stupid, but have been know to overlook things, so if anyone has any suggestions about what I might try to do that would be great........I might then have some hair left by the end of the weekend.......

slob
05-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Does the phone work OK? Does the Internet Connection work if you swap the filters over? It could be a duff filter. Can you borrow a phone from one of your neighbours to eliminate your cordless phone?(which sounds like a load of bollocks from the helpdesk jockey to me)

Mark Walker
05-08-2005, 08:50 AM
actually what is really annoying is that we just threw another phone out! Might 'borrow' one from work tonight....... I have tried switching the filters (more than once), tried every usb port more than once. the only thing I haven't tried is banging the modem repeatedly against the wall.......

Actually I have just formatted my HD and started from scratch, so need to download some updated MOBO drivers, but I can't see that helping this particular problem, which is the 'no dial tone' message when the phone is plugged in.......I should have stuck with dial-up!!!

JMo
05-08-2005, 09:52 AM
That does sound like a bit of a bug*er...

I must say, I used to be with Tiscali... well actually I was with Lineone originally who were great - until they started advertising and got loads more customers who jammed up their servers, and then they sold out to Tiscali who had even more customers and advertising, and cra*py spam filters that never worked, even when set on level 'high'...

Anyway, it seems like so many companies these days, the bigger they get, the worse the service becomes... and I really didn't like having to phone their helpdesk in Calcutta at 50 pence per minute...

Hope you can get it sorted though...

xxx

Mark Walker
05-08-2005, 10:00 AM
The thing that annoys me the most is not the cost of the helpdesk (hence calling from work) but the fact that they are just reading the idiot guides that are available on the website......I don't think they really know what they are talking about, or at least they wouldn't if you asked them something that wasn't on the FAQs. Coupled with the fact that the line was crackling and every fifth word was cutting out, it was a bit of a folly! To put it mildly........added on top of the fact that my brand spanking new work PC is now cutting me off the network, resetting my desktop and uninstalling my printer everytime I log off, I can't wait for a week off....which I have.......calm calm........

Oh well, it is character building as my old man used to say.......

Plum
05-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I have a boredband connection here and my cordless phone is right next to my kit. I have no probs with mine and i think they maybe talking bollox also. First thing is the filters, then phone (and change the lead that goes into the BT socket and Phone)

Seems some of the advice you have been given on the forum, could very well get those members a support job in IT.!!!!

mark cross
05-08-2005, 11:28 AM
I have a boredband connection here and my cordless phone is right next to my kit. I have no probs with mine and i think they maybe talking bollox also. First thing is the filters, then phone (and change the lead that goes into the BT socket and Phone)

Seems some of the advice you have been given on the forum, could very well get those members a support job in IT.!!!!
Have to agree with the advice given ref filter being duff. Try insisting they send you a replacement or go to a local electrical/computer shop filters re not expensive. (i run a computer business and have come across this before).
Never ring helplines, they are usually staffed by trained monkeys with a script to read from and an instruction to keep you on for as long as possible.

Mark Walker
05-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Oh well, I do have a week's holiday to look forward to next week, so I will just calm down and get my money back then, if i can't get it to work.........

Cheers all!

Zimbo
05-08-2005, 06:27 PM
I was with Tiscali for a year, my connection was never good and would disconnect after a couple of minutes, very annoying. Their helpdesk suggested my usb drivers were suspect, even though I'd tried two different computers and clean installed three different operating systems. Other than that they didn't seem very interested.
Eventually I gave up and lived with it, assuming my phone line was a bit dodgy. Tried getting BT to look at it, but they will only do so if requested to by the broadband provider.
Once my year was up i cancelled Tiscali and took out a BT contract instead - at least if my line is dodgy it's all under one roof as it were, BT responsible for line and broadband, so they can sort it out.
No need, the BT connection has performed faultlesly and hasn't dropped a connection once.

A Yerbury
05-08-2005, 07:39 PM
tiscali BB here, does click out occasionally and all IE windows need to be closed down to get connected again, ie loose the no dial tone instruction. The same sagem modem my old man (father not husband) has in France with wanadoo which does similar. The thing is they are all c unts and whoever you go with something will male chicken up, which is pretty much what Jenny said. bring back buzby.

Alex.
ps. on the other hand some people are born starving, the fact that latexvixens.1.mpeg/unreal tournament/ebay or this forum is momentarily inaccessible is perhaps no great shakes?

singletrack
05-08-2005, 08:32 PM
We're on Tiscali and don't really have any problems. We have 4 filters and all the other apparatus, including cordless phones work fine.

It seems like it might be your filter - can you borrow one from a friend/neighbour to check it?

Mark Walker
05-08-2005, 09:36 PM
well after much jiggling and being very annoyed by idiots on the phone line I seem to have got some sort of semblance of a connection in one room.....looks like there might be some sort of fault on the line, or a dodgy filter.....getting a new filter sent to me and so i shall take it from there......it has been fun!