PDA

View Full Version : Mulit-Spark

restin
04-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Has anybody tried these, also the guy there recommends droping a Fulecat in the tank?
feedback would be interesting

http://www.fuelcat.co.uk/multispark.html

paul620sie
04-08-2005, 10:30 AM
I've tested several "devices" like this over the last 18 years as part of my job (confidentiality prevents me from saying which one i have or have not tested). To date, not one device has provided any benefit what so ever.

Please bear in mind test equipment i use costs £100k's, it's approved by UK and other European governments to carry out this type of work and my team carries out test like this daily so our results are accurate to traceable standards.

You'd be better off spending your money ensuring the basics on your bike are set up correctly and everything is in good working order (ie, treat it to a service, new filters, plugs and oil). (And if we're talking cars; check your tracking).

Finally, manufacturers spend millions to lower fuel consumption and exhaust emissions, if these things worked they'd be fitted as standard.

Lecture over. Paul

restin
04-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Im more interested in the multi-spark than the fuelcat.
I have seen it praised very highly on othe sites?

paul620sie
04-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Sorry, i doubt it works.

Subjectively you may think it works cos you fitted it and want to believe it works. Objectively, any controlled test is likely to show it has no beneficial effect.

I'm happy to be corrected if anyone can prove it works.

nik_the_brief
04-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Surely if the spark plugs working it ignites all the fuel/air mix anyway.

I can't see how any additional sparking will help with anything but reducing the life of your plugs.

Or am I just being thick (which wouldn't surprise me). :confused:

peteS4
04-08-2005, 02:52 PM
you do still sometimes get a small amount of air/fuel left unburnt in the head after the spark, if say the plug gap isn't spot on it doesnt produce the right strength spark etc.......
this is why some engines do now have a twin plug set up on each head....

nik_the_brief
04-08-2005, 02:54 PM
you do still sometimes get a small amount of air/fuel left unburnt in the head after the spark, if say the plug gap isn't spot on it doesnt produce the right strength spark etc.......
this is why some engines do now have a twin plug set up on each head....

Aaah thanks, would it make a noticable difference though?

I wondered about that with those Alfas.

Duncan
04-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Engines are designed around a combustion chamber shape, piston shape and plug position. Twin spark motors work because of a more even burn and are designed for twin plugs.

This device doesnt do that, it provides an additional spark. The way in which the ignition system works gives optimum performance for the coils bearing in mind they need to build up a spark etc. An additional spark in the wrong place in the firing stroke does nowt as the piston is either descending rapidly and the flame front has gone from the plug or the exhaust valve is open. In fact these things could rob some of the spark energy fom the initial spark giving less power.

The tin turd in the tank is another piece of rubbish. Originally marketed for running unleaded fuel in older engines, it didnt do a lot then, they just tried to find another use for a ball of solder. Another great spoof idea is the magnet round the fuel line that aligns all the ions in the fuel so they burn the same way. ha bloody ha!

Look at it this way. If these inventions provided all of the claimed benefits then manufacturers would fit these things as standard and gain lower emissions, loads more power etc all for an outlay of about 50p. They could sack their engine development teams and employ Mr Heath Robinson to do it for them.....

Save your money and spend it on ex lax. A good 5h1t before going out will take 1 kilo off the bikes weight and give you added acceleration, better fuel economy, better braking.............

paul620sie
04-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Duncan, I agree with you.

Scotty
04-08-2005, 08:58 PM
so its presumably a questionable idea to fit a dual plug head to a motor not designed for it then ?

http://kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog.htm?&view=artikel&artikel=1238

bod
04-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Most of these things are rubish,just intended to get you to spend your money on to get a cheap performance/fuel saving.
As mentioned before if there was some cheap fix wouldn't all car manufactures be doing similar things?

crust
04-08-2005, 09:42 PM
so its presumably a questionable idea to fit a dual plug head to a motor not designed for it then ?

works well on old airhead BMWs

whilst it dosent make much of a power increase it does smooth the engine out and give better fuel consumption, makes starting easier too.

Does require retarding the ignition a fair bit, as well as beefing up the ignition with an amplifier.

Probably of no use on a water-cooled Monster due to the existing plug being centrally located.

Might help an air cooled motor in conjunction with raised compression etc.

:) Crust

paul620sie
05-08-2005, 07:10 AM

I wouldn't spend my money doing this, it may have a small benefit but to get the most from it you'd need to carryout extensive testing to optimise the ignition timing and fueling.

The monster 1000DS engine will have been developed to optimise the use of twin plugs.