PDA

View Full Version : New noise legislation?

nik_the_brief
03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I caught the tail end of the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 yesterday – it was some Tory MP bleating on about noisy motorcycles in his back-yard in Yorkshire etc. etc. Although I missed the start of the programme it appears that it was elicited by some new proposal to further reduce exhaust noise emissions on motorcycles.

This has apparently also been commented on in MCN this week but I never buy that rag.

I think I heard something about confiscation orders of bikes sporting illegally noisy exhausts and a maximum decibel level of 73 or so which apparently equates to the noise of your average hairdryer. :eek:

Is this all scaremongering or do we need to start worrying (particularly bearing in mind the bloody loud pipes I have on my bike at the moment!)?

CK & AK
03-08-2005, 03:01 PM
http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=22577#pid214988

:mad: :(

SAMMYE
03-08-2005, 05:27 PM
S*d the exhausts what is poor Didge going to do?? :eek:

He will be looked up and the they will throw away the key!! :(

madhatter
04-08-2005, 11:52 AM
.....some Tory MP bleating on about noisy motorcycles in his back-yard in Yorkshire etc. etc.... some new proposal to further reduce exhaust noise emissions on motorcycles..... confiscation orders of bikes sporting illegally noisy exhausts and a maximum decibel level of 73 or so which apparently equates to the noise of your average hairdryer. :eek:

I read this article, and yes that is the general flavour of what they were talking about. Reducing bike noise from 80db down to 74db and giving the Bill power to impound bikes with noisy exhaust systems. If the bill goes through parliment and is made law, there's going to be one hell of a large pile of unused Termis, Sils, Microns, etc...and the replacement exhaust industry is going to get hit pretty hard.. :eek: ...lets all fit Motads....that's what I say.. :D

slob
04-08-2005, 12:06 PM
What I want to know is... when are they going to start confiscating/scrapping cars belonging to twats who simply have to keep using their mobile phones while driving?

nik_the_brief
04-08-2005, 12:27 PM
What I want to know is... when are they going to start confiscating/scrapping cars belonging to twats who simply have to keep using their mobile phones while driving?

Too right Rob, one of my personal pet hates, if I see them stationary at traffic lights I pull up so my exhaust is level with the driver and rev the bollox out of the bike so he has to hang up.

If they're going along I just flip my lid and embarrass them with a tirade about why they think they're so important that they can put other people's lives at risk.

jrpdark
04-08-2005, 03:23 PM
That's nowt. I was in London on Tuesday and saw a dispatcher texting as he weaved up the inside of the traffic going through a junction. I kid ye not.

Aside from that I have twice seen car drivers shaving (luckily with an electric shaver - not a full wet shave ;) ) - once on the M25 while crossing the QE2 bridge (is that what it's called?).

I pulled alongside him and made the appropriate British Standard sign language, but he wasn't bothered.

They should be dragged out of their cars and shot, etc.

J

A Yerbury
04-08-2005, 05:44 PM
S*d the exhausts what is poor Didge going to do?? :eek:

He will be looked up and the they will throw away the key!! :(

looking up didge? he would like that.

jvp
04-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Thats equally as bad as speaking on the phone, and probably at some stage the driver has had to take both hands off of the wheel to get the fag from the packet or light it. Then its normally chucked out of the window or put into the ashtray until its full then emptied into the kerb.
I have been in a couple of situations when a smoker in a car has caused near misses. That pisses me off.
Jay

Mand
04-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Thats equally as bad as speaking on the phone, and probably at some stage the driver has had to take both hands off of the wheel to get the fag from the packet or light it. Then its normally chucked out of the window or put into the ashtray until its full then emptied into the kerb.
I have been in a couple of situations when a smoker in a car has caused near misses. That pisses me off.
Jay

The other Sunday, some tw*t decided to throw half a chicken out his window - (yes really!) in the path of my nice shiny pipes. Now that should be illegal. :mad:

spacemonkey
08-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Jay

T'other day I saw a car in front of me with the driver smoking and flicking fag ash out the window. I pulled up alongside at the lights, stared at her incredulously while shaking my head then sped off. The interesting thing was, that she was a uniformed officer in a marked patrol car!!!!! Should have complained i guess, but there would no doubt be a clamp down on bikes in that area in the mornings for a while. Almost as good as the two Keystone Cops on their pursuit scooters riding through empty bus lanes (within enforcement times) to by pass traffic jams! Do they not know that pretend coppers are not allowed in bus lanes? And while I'm at it, do coppers know that they are only allowed in there if they are flashing etc and responding to a genuine emergency, and not just trying to get back before the pizza gets cold?

walkingpictures
08-08-2005, 09:35 PM
The other Sunday, some tw*t decided to throw half a chicken out his window - (yes really!) in the path of my nice shiny pipes. Now that should be illegal. :mad:

Umnnnnn...roast chicken..........(sfx - Homer drooling>

Paranoid Dave
08-08-2005, 09:39 PM
if the worst comes to the worst, there's a year or two before it becomes law so make the most of it until then. And dont forget that they can't change law and backdate it so as feeble as standard cans sound now, in years to come we'll be the rebels of the streets with our noisy 80db cans.

When did that rule come in, classic vehicles dont have noise regulations but i dont know what year that came into effect. I wouldn't mind knowing where i stand with my monkeybike and the cans i plan on fitting :D

Wabbitkilla
08-08-2005, 09:53 PM
You know, sleepy streets of an evening, them waaaaW some spotty d***head comes flying around the corner in his Peugeot 106 with four bean cans sticking out the back. You can hear them all over the place!

When are they going to start policing car noise makers and insit their exhausts are fully legal - and make sure they have to have them BSI stamped?

Oh yes, that would be too much like hard work for our heroes in blue!

But you know it's like speed cameras, an extreme crackdown due to extreme behaviour. If some people didn't go to extreme measure of noisiness, then this wouldn't be happening. It's the only way to get the message across to put up such stringent controls.

It's whacko, over the top, but living in a Yorkshire town, i can understand the safety Nazi's point of view. This is why i always get legal E or BSI marked pipes nowadays. They're still quite fruity, but how can a plod argue with a bonafide stamp?

Maybe they should modify all the speed cameras to monitor noise too, then see what proportion of cars are noisy compared to bikes?

Phoenix
08-08-2005, 11:08 PM
You know, sleepy streets of an evening, them waaaaW some spotty d***head comes flying around the corner in his Peugeot 106 with four bean cans sticking out the back. You can hear them all over the place

Correct - but how many of them are perceived to be bikes by the uneducated ?
Bout time they made the law equal for cars :mad:

Capo
09-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Maybe they should modify all the speed cameras to monitor noise too, then see what proportion of cars are noisy compared to bikes?

I read somewhere that speed cameras in Australia a fitted with dB meters.

slob
09-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Is there any legislation that puts a stop to 200W power amps and 15" bass bins in cars? like the one that woke me up at 5:30 this morning. At least I keep the revs down in residential areas if I'm out and about very early or very late.

Wabbitkilla
09-08-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm with you on that one!

I was in a Car HiFi place once, where the sales guy said "sonny if you play it that loud, you're gonna damage your eardrums," to which said sonny replied, "you mean i'll need BIGGER speakers?"

Yes something should definitely be done about these idiots in big exhaust, big amp, big subwoofer world. If it was a house you could call in the council and get an asbo served, they're even allowed to confiscate gear if the idiots take no notice.

Oh, has anyone tried looking for this new legislation? It's hiding somewhere out of sight.