PDA

View Full Version : Wheeeeeelies

DevilBoy
02-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Oh yes people, its that time of year again for me to start doing wheelies!
I started learning a while ago on my bandit, but didnt get very far.
Now my mate on a GSXR has re-ignited my passion!

So, anyone got any opinions on the best way to wheelie an S4?
I can do power wheelies in frist and second. but I cant get them up very far. Plus, when im excelerating in secong, 100mph jumps up on me pretty quickly.

So, Clutch wheelies. Any advice? What revs/gear to do them in?

Any reason why not to do them at all? (wimps)

I wait with baited breath.
:twisted:

steviej
02-08-2005, 12:23 PM
...............Any reason why not to do them at all? (wimps)

I'm a WIMP................. :D

DesmoDom
02-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Well apart from sh a ggin yer steering head bearings and having all of yer oil draining to the rear of yer engine, can't see a problem with doin wheelies. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

p.s. doin wheelies off a dry clutch is not really adviseable, unless you like changing the plates on a very regular basis.

Baz

Zimbo
02-08-2005, 07:03 PM
If you want to lift it, do it off the throttle in first and change to second early as soon as it's well airbourne. I shouldn't bother clutching it up, no real benefit i reckon, and it will wear your clutch out sooner.
Be aware that extended wheelies starve the rear cylinder head of oil . . .

Paranoid Dave
02-08-2005, 08:59 PM
i knew a guy with a duke, loved wheelies, hated the sound or wearing metal in his engine after it dumped all the oil.
Don't bother, or use someone elses bike

Scotty
02-08-2005, 10:16 PM
yeah but
dont that christian phiper ? bloke use a compleatly standard monster for all his showing off ,all on one wheel

A Yerbury
02-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Go DB! I think you should do lots of wheelies, and stoppies too! Ignore the wimps and technical "oil in the cylinder" types like paranoid and just enjoy yourself. You could even make a ramp at the bottom of the road and do some jumps? please post pictures.

AY.

marchesini
02-08-2005, 11:15 PM
So, anyone got any opinions on the best way to wheelie an S4?
I can do power wheelies in frist and second. but I cant get them up very far. Plus, when im excelerating in secong, 100mph jumps up on me pretty quickly.

So, Clutch wheelies. Any advice? What revs/gear to do them in?

I've been to a couple of wheelie schools and 'hung out' with a few crazee guys on Gixxer 1000's and I still can't do them. My mind says yes but my hand says no. Somedays though I fare better than others but with no real consistency.

What I have learnt though is that power wheelies are much easier than clutch wheelies and it is best to start on power wheelies before you attempt to do the clutch versions.

Power wheelies (I've been told) should be done on steady revs - on an S4 probably about 3500 revs (I can't remember exactly) where it makes a fair bit of torque. Keep the throttle steady and trundle along at 20 mph and then snap the throttle shut and then wide open and up she'll come. Keep it open until you sh1t yourself and then it'll come back down. The trick to doing this is to rotate yout throttle hand forward and round about an inch so that you get a quicker throttle action. It is also harder to keep a constant throttle as your hand need to get used to the position.

I practised this on 1200 Bandits on an airfield in a Galaxy far, far away. I managed to 'get it up' but never in a consistent manner and you are right, power wheelies on a big bike accelerate pretty fast so not the type of trick you want to do down your local high street.

Once you have the first and second gear wheelies mastered then you can attempt the clutch method. I spent another day with 'Jimmy Fireblade' trying this technique but never really got to grips with it. The only bit of info I can pass on is that the bike comes up much quicker and agressively and so can catch you out but it does mean that you get it up to the balance point - the 'Holy Grail' of wheelies. When you've sussed the balance point, the world is your oyster. I have also heard that prctising on a pushbike is good as it gives you the spatial awareness of how high you actually are and the feel needed for 'hoisting a top minger'.

One last thing is always wear a back protector. My mate was getting really high and good at them but I saw a few close calls so gave him mine just to put my mind at rest.

As for the Christian Pfieffer chap, the only mod he has on his 'unmodded' bike is a rerouting of the oil thingy which means that oil starvation issues do not occur.

HTH and I agree with Yerbs. The only people who say it's not big or clever are the people who can't (won't) do them - and if you have to ask why, then there's no point explaining. :twisted: You are adult and understand the consequences of how wrong it could go and isn't that half the allure of it?

Best regards

simon

PS Any interest in a Monster only Wheelie school?

A Yerbury
02-08-2005, 11:19 PM
I have pulled a few mingers but never hoisted one? perhaps like wheelie schools there is instruction available?

rgds
AY.

crust
03-08-2005, 12:16 AM
The most important thing to learn is covering the back brake and the clutch.

Looping the bike will pretty much destroy it.

Realistically you're not going to be able to change gears at anything less than 45 deg and slamming the front down in first while you learn is going to total the wheel and steering head bearings in no time at all.

I'd work on second gear for a slower more controllable lift.

and yes, it will pump the oil over the rear tyre if you pull a decent one, as for starving the rear cylinder, if it starves one it will starve both, they both use the same pickup.

I'd recommend this school:

http://www.thewheelieschool.co.uk/instructors.html

:) Crust

marchesini
03-08-2005, 12:40 AM
I have pulled a few mingers but never hoisted one? perhaps like wheelie schools there is instruction available?

If you are interested in hoisting mingers, you need to visit Lady Whiplash, who gives strict instruction on hoisting, lashing and any other 'ings that you may wish to do with your mingers. Be careful though, she is a very harsh tutor with a zero tolerence policy on well, actually most things.

Visit her at: www.dungeonschool.com

Tell her 'sweatybreather' sent you and she'll give you extra special attention.

Laters

sb

madhatter
03-08-2005, 11:57 AM
The most important thing to learn is covering the back brake and the clutch.........and yes, it will pump the oil over the rear tyre if you pull a decent one, as for starving the rear cylinder, if it starves one it will starve both, they both use the same pickup....Crust

I'd heard this horror story about oil dumping out onto the rear tyre, :eek: but despite the "occasional vertical lift" from my 750, I've yet to see any oil dumped. Is the 750 different in some way, or perhaps my wheelies have not been high enough.. :o ..... :confused:

Julie
03-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Simple............buy a KTM400EXC!

madhatter
03-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Simple............buy a KTM400EXC!

Hmmm....doesn't quite answer the oil question, Julie old girl, does it now.... :rolleyes:

Julie
03-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Hmmm....doesn't quite answer the oil question, Julie old girl, does it now.... :rolleyes:

OLD girl!!! OLD girl!!!! Who you calling an OLD girl x

SAMMYE
03-08-2005, 12:15 PM
I could do them on my BMX for miles with a little tug of the handlebars and with acceleration on the pedals! doesnt seem to work on the monster though!!

I could also carry my brother on my shoulders whilst riding my bike and once made the mile calculator go right round to 00000 after riding round a nearby close on my own (not sure how long it took me). Fitted some electrical cable ties which flapped against the spokes and made it sound like a motorbike also......... I was kool! :cool:

mark cross
03-08-2005, 12:21 PM
I'd heard this horror story about oil dumping out onto the rear tyre, :eek: but despite the "occasional vertical lift" from my 750, I've yet to see any oil dumped. Is the 750 different in some way, or perhaps my wheelies have not been high enough.. :o ..... :confused:
Got to agree, never had an oil problem when on the back wheel. Also it may not be big or clever but it is great craic and surely thats a good enough reason? :cool:

mark cross
03-08-2005, 12:24 PM
I could do them on my BMX for miles with a little tug of the handlebars and with acceleration on the pedals! doesnt seem to work on the monster though!!

I could also carry my brother on my shoulders whilst riding my bike and once made the mile calculator go right round to 00000 after riding round a nearby close on my own (not sure how long it took me). Fitted some electrical cable ties which flapped against the spokes and made it sound like a motorbike also......... I was kool! :cool:
Ice lolly sticks worked best for me, sounded like giacomo agostini :D

nik_the_brief
03-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Got to agree, never had an oil problem when on the back wheel. Also it may not be big or clever but it is great craic and surely thats a good enough reason? :cool:

I disagree entirely I think it's both big AND clever! :D

mark cross
03-08-2005, 01:45 PM
You are dead right Nik :twisted: , hoik it up on the back wheel, do stoppies, burnouts and generaly enjoy your bike in the manner that turns you on the most. I`m just aware that some members arent into stunting.

NattyBoy
03-08-2005, 01:49 PM
....Don't bother, or use someone elses bike[/QUOTE]

..Id recommend a red M900 of '94 vintage..(hope hes not reading this.. :lol: )

Nat

crust
03-08-2005, 07:43 PM
No oil on the rear

obviously not trying hard enough ;)

We're not talking a couple of feet in the air then down again, you've got to be doing sustained balance point wheelies.

Those that saw Dave Woods at the first Mallory trackday will have seen the oil over the back of Stewarts S4

:) Crust

CK & AK
03-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Its not big, its not clever... :mad:

but its bloody good fun off the throttle on odd occasions :D

traffic light changes... pull away, flick into 2nd, power away & up she comes, flick into 3rd - still the wheel is up... :burnout: :D :D

mind you, ask AK how many times he had to replace plates in Bluefoots clutch over 2002/3 :rolleyes:

JMo
03-08-2005, 10:46 PM
and once made the mile calculator go right round to 00000 after riding round a nearby close on my own (not sure how long it took me).

10,000 miles on a pushbike?!

Well lets see, if you did that at an average speed of 15mph (which is pretty much the max I guess for a single speed BMX), then it would take you nearly 278 days, non-stop...

Boy, you must have had long school holidays back then...

xxx

A Yerbury
03-08-2005, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=SAMMYE]I could do them on my BMX for miles with a little tug of the handlebars and with acceleration on the pedals! doesnt seem to work on the monster though!!

I could also carry my brother on my shoulders whilst riding my bike and once made the mile calculator go right round to 00000 after riding round a nearby close on my own (not sure how long it took me). Fitted some electrical cable ties which flapped against the spokes and made it sound like a motorbike also......... I was kool! :cool:[/QU

goodness! have you escaped from a circus young Samuel?

McMONSTRO
03-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Dave Woods at Mallory!.......I remember that, thought he'd blown it to bits! Then someone said..."Its allright, they all do that" :eek:

Mcm

steviej
03-08-2005, 10:55 PM
...................... and once made the mile calculator go right round to 00000 after riding round a nearby close on my own..........

Well lets see, if you did that at an average speed of 15mph (which is pretty much the max I guess for a single speed BMX), then it would take you nearly 278 days, non-stop...

xxx

Now, Now Jenny Mo, Dyslexia aside (Dremil/Dremel),your not up to scratch with the decimal system; I think you'll find that the previous number before a 00,000 on a odometer is 99,999. So our young SAMMYE here has done a Gold Medal deserving 100,000...................Nice one SAMMYE :D

SAMMYE
04-08-2005, 10:29 AM

xxx

I cant remember the exact distance it could have been more or less one of those digits would have been a little red one that went round faster than the others.... km??

Trust me though I was a strange kid and this sort of thing was the norm, I once played a electonic computer game it was a caveman game and you had to steal a dinosaurs eggs so I did it until the score went back to ooooo or whatever it took me all day and half the night but I did it...... then I smashed the damn thing up!!

p.s. I could also do 1000's of kick-up's with a football by the time I was 10, you can find a lot of comfort in monotomous things - Think meditation

Didge
04-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Trust me though I was a strange kid

Nothing's changed then Sammye! :twisted:

Didge
04-08-2005, 11:36 AM

Well, you would Nik. You're a bloody lawyer.
"I rest my case M'Lud". :twisted:

nik_the_brief
04-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Well, you would Nik. You're a bloody lawyer.
"I rest my case M'Lud". :twisted:

Tee hee, didn't I say the other day that white is the new black.

Not just coz of my line of work, also coz I'm a belligerent bastard! :twisted: :D