PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with the Speedo

Mark Walker
01-08-2005, 08:01 AM
Okay, riding home yesterday and I noticed the speedo and tacho had stopped moving.....got back home and the speedo cable had come out at the wheel end of things and about and inch and a half of the cable was showing form the end of the rubber. Not really knowing what I was doing I took the lock nut thingy off, pushed the cable back in and tightened everything up and now it works......however, I have a suspicion that this is not exactly how it should be ;) . As other threads on here seem to suggest the cable is not expensive I shall get a new one anyway, but I was just wondering how exactly the cable fixes to the wheel, just to make sure I replace it the right way, rather than in some dodgy make-shift fashion as I did yesterday......and I am sure that if this was the correct way to get it to work, it would never have snapped in the first place......any tips greatfully recevied!

Cheers

steviej
01-08-2005, 11:42 AM
You'll find that the ends of the cable are square section which fit into their allotted square holes. Sounds like your 'Locking Nut' just worked itself loose.

You can, sometimes, get moisture inside the cable which ends up rotting the metal. Just undo the cable and drop a little oil down the inside. ;)

Mark Walker
01-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Cheers for that, I shall give it a lube and tighten my nuts......I might get a spare cable anyway if they are as cheap as people say as some of the rubber at the bottom end of the cable seems to be a little worn/rotted......but hopefully it should last for the journey home!

Duncan
02-08-2005, 06:58 AM
Mark

You might strugle to get a speedo cable from Ducati. Have been waiting since late June. No stock at factory, can you believe it!!!
Got phone call from Riders saying it leaves Italy this week, I shant hold me breath.

Thing is Italy goes on holiday this week till end of August so reckon it might be September before one turns up.

slob
02-08-2005, 07:03 AM
You can, sometimes, get moisture inside the cable which ends up rotting the metal. Just undo the cable and drop a little oil down the inside. ;)
I've always LIGHTLY greased speedo/tacho cables by removing the inner from below and greasing that. Someone once told me never to do the top 15cm as grease/oil will work its way upwards and may damage the inside of the clocks if it gets in there.

JMo
02-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Where is Craig-mac?

Where is the "you should be wearing board-shorts this time of year, speedos chafe so much when you hit the water..." etc etc.

xxx

Mark Walker
02-08-2005, 07:17 AM
It seemed to put up with riding all day yesterday, so I reckon it should do the trick now until i do manage to get hold of one.......but having read Duncan's message this might be a good thing! Think I'll undo it again and give a greasing just to make sure........

Mark Walker
02-08-2005, 07:23 AM
but then again speedos let you slip in and out of those sweaty leathers nice and easily.......