PDA

View Full Version : Advice from fellow Monster owners (please)

blueyes
01-08-2005, 06:55 AM
HI all, I have always valued the great advce and information given out to others! Now it is my turn....
1. I am getting higher bars fitted on to my 2003 Monster 1000Sie. I have been getting bak pain, even on the short ride to work! This is going to be a costly job as I have to have all the hoses and clutch cable extended/replaced but that's o.k, it will be worth it. NOw I have been told that I may need a steering damper because of the front end being so light. I am a 'sensible' rider but do like the ocassional sprint (if you know what I mean) so am terrified that if I dont spend the £150 + on one that I will regret it....any advice?

2. The backpack has to go...(my back again). I don't like the tank bag...(smushes my boobs)....thinking about the hard luggage. It looks nice and there are no zips to have to worry about etc....Only thing is the price. £530. Thats a lot of money. Has anyone else purchased them? Are they really worth the money? HELP - HELP - HELP (please) :confused:

CK & AK
01-08-2005, 08:05 AM
I have the M1000sie too :)

Steering damper: I only got one early this year. Didnt need one for most of my riding, but only when right at the top of the rev scales & at top speeds. If you arent going to 'rag' the bike (say over 8000 rpm), nor ride it over 110mph, you really shouldnt need one.

Luggage: I use soft Givi Luggage costing under £100. 2 panniers which strap onto a pad which is secured round the rear of the seat. Means removing the seat cowl tho & then lifting the seat to fit the pad. The pad then stays there, when the panniers are clipped on & off. This has done me proud for over 4 summers on the monsters - several w/ends here & also up to 2 weeks away each summer with my bike - fitting in the important heels & makeup too :D They have waterproof covers to go over them if wet - and cos i carefully wrap most stuff, nothing has got wet so far - even in 6 hours of torrential rain in France 2 years ago.

Due to my back, I cant carry a ruck sack too far - nor do I have room for a tank bag either (between me & the tank :eek: ) tho I do have a map bag only on the tank.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Charlotte :)

nik_the_brief
01-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Having read your two questions carefully (and considered the matter long and hard) I'm of the opinion that if your bosoms are magnificent enough to be adversely affected by a tank bag then you should have no real problems with a light front end as they should act as a perfect counterbalance.

I know it's no help but I couldn't resist!! :D

CK & AK
01-08-2005, 02:30 PM
you horror Nik! :eek: :p :D

but saying that, mine stop me from doing wheelies so often.... :o :lol:

C :D

SAMMYE
01-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Having read your two questions carefully (and considered the matter long and hard) I'm of the opinion that if your bosoms are magnificent enough to be adversely affected by a tank bag then you should have no real problems with a light front end as they should act as a perfect counterbalance.

I know it's no help but I couldn't resist!! :D

I agree with my learned friend cant have a tank bag "smushing" your boobs

what exactly is smushing though?? :confused: sounds like fun!

blueyes
01-08-2005, 02:52 PM
GIVI it is then! I did call them earlier though and they basically said that all they had that would fit is the hard tail case???? Figure that one out.. I will call them back shortly and say tell them about what we have discussed. Yipee! Another dilemma sorted! And about my boobs. I only have that one particular problem with them - otherwise I LOVE them to bits! :lol:

SAMMYE
01-08-2005, 03:38 PM
GIVI it is then! I did call them earlier though and they basically said that all they had that would fit is the hard tail case???? Figure that one out.. I will call them back shortly and say tell them about what we have discussed. Yipee! Another dilemma sorted! And about my boobs. I only have that one particular problem with them - otherwise I LOVE them to bits! :lol:

well if you ever have any Boob questions please feel free to ask! We are very helpful here :)

DucatiGirl
01-08-2005, 03:48 PM
I use a soft tail pack from Oxford. V. small, so only really got room for a change of clothes. Seems to be waterproof so far, and only cost 25 quid.

Do have problems getting my leg over now though :eek:

SAMMYE
01-08-2005, 04:24 PM
I use a soft tail pack from Oxford. V. small, so only really got room for a change of clothes. Seems to be waterproof so far, and only cost 25 quid.

Do have problems getting my leg over now though :eek:

Unlike blueyes who has no problems getting her leg over and boobs "smushed"

claicerrig
01-08-2005, 05:29 PM

Theres a set on ebay now use the No`s above to find it ok

Zimbo
01-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Givi do a monorack for the monster, which just allows you fo fit a topbox, however the topbox range available is quite good. Most seem to go for a 45 litre capacity one, which is just big enough for two crash helmets. They don't do a wingrack to allow fitting of hard panniers, but then I can't see why you'd need all that storage space???

Note careful avoidance of smutty comments, that was really hard . . .

nik_the_brief
02-08-2005, 10:05 AM

You know what they say...

Tanks for the mammaries!! :D