PDA

View Full Version : clutch seals?

Raving Loony
30-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi,
I have a 94 M600 and the clutch has started to give me jib. :( When I am in first with the clutch held in its like the clutch is slowly being released even though I am holding it in. I thought this would be air in the system so I bled it but the problem is still happening. :mad:

I am guessing there is air getting in somewhere (slave cylinder seals??). Any ideas as to what I should be looking at. I don't want to buy a new master or slave cylinder and then find out it isn't that.

Is the M600 '94 a wet or dry clutch? I think its a wet clutch but was told by a fellow duke owner that the early models have a dry clutch?

Any ideas :confused: ?

Raving Loony
30-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Just found a site with lots of useful duc links...

http://users.adelphia.net/~infoage1/duclinks.html

From there I found this one....

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/tech.jhtml

Which tells me the M600 is a wet clutch. Which I guess means I have to
drain the oil to check the slave seals. Its a lot of work to find out its not the seals.

Any advice? :confused:

fluffy
30-07-2005, 02:25 PM
the slave cylinder operates a rod running through the engine so its removal and inspection is done without draining any oil. We replaced the standard one when it finally failed with a lovely billet one, much more progressive but not very cheap.

If the clutch fluid is black it's a good sign the seals are giving up.

PaulS
30-07-2005, 02:33 PM
As far as I know all the M600s have had wet clutches, however I don't believe you need to drain the oil to remove the clutch slave cylinder as there is a seal on the pushrod that the slave operates. If the slave on the 600 is similar to that fitted to the dry clutch bikes all you need to do is remove a couple of bolts and it will come off. The seals on the dry clutch bikes are notorious for leaking, don't know if the wet clutch bikes have the same problem. If I understand your problem correctly your bike is trying to move forwards when in gear with the clutch lever held in? This could be caused by poor hydraulics (more likely to be the slave than the master), but could also be caused by dragging clutch plates. These things can also be hard to bleed properly - one trick is to tie down the clutch lever and leave it overnight with the reservoir cap off (I would only do this if the bike is under cover and try and shield the reservoir so that crap doesn't get in it).

rich
30-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi,
I have a 94 M600 and the clutch has started to give me jib. :( When I am in first with the clutch held in its like the clutch is slowly being released even though I am holding it in. I thought this would be air in the system so I bled it but the problem is still happening. :mad:

I am guessing there is air getting in somewhere (slave cylinder seals??). Any ideas as to what I should be looking at. I don't want to buy a new master or slave cylinder and then find out it isn't that.

Is the M600 '94 a wet or dry clutch? I think its a wet clutch but was told by a fellow duke owner that the early models have a dry clutch?

Any ideas :confused: ?

Hi there, it's a wet clutch

If it's like my old 94 600, the slave cyl is part of the casing
so you will have to drain the oil to get it off.
the clutch will cost about £75
as for the air prob i would bleed it time and time again , they can be awkward
rich

Rockhopper
30-07-2005, 05:11 PM
M600's of that age have wet clutches with an internal slave cylinder. Not much point getting a billet one!!

fluffy
31-07-2005, 10:17 AM
M600's of that age have wet clutches with an internal slave cylinder. Not much point getting a billet one!!

erruugghh..how inconvenient. The billet one was ever so nice too...!

South Wingfield, i was born and grew up there...!

Rockhopper
31-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Really? Where abouts in the village? I should actually update my profile becasue i moved away about three months ago. I used to live in the stables by Wingfield Hall.

fluffy
31-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Really? Where abouts in the village? I should actually update my profile becasue i moved away about three months ago. I used to live in the stables by Wingfield Hall.

Spent my childhood in Birches Lane, in a bungalow called Oakwell i think. Went to the school at the bottom of the hill. My gran still lives in Birches Lane and Crich Stand flashes in her back window. Still got loads of family there and in the surrounding area.

Raving Loony
01-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Right, I thought I would check the master cylinder before I strip the slave. Just as well I did as it looks like the rubber cover had a small hole and was leaking a minute amount of fluid.. :eek:

So now I need to replace the rubber cover, the white plastic ring which holds the rubber in place and probably the clutch lever (as the adjuster screw seems to be rusted in, probably due to the fluid leak).

Anyone know where/if I can get these parts? I really don't want to have to fork out for a new master cylinder when the cost of the parts I need is probably a couple of quid.

If not, any idea where can I get a standard master clutch cylinder (and lever) for a '94 M600? :confused:

fluffy
02-08-2005, 01:04 PM
are you sure the hole is not the breather hole...?

Raving Loony
04-08-2005, 06:30 PM
I have replaced the Master Cylinder and everything is now fine. I tried getting the individual parts I think were shagged but had no luck so I got a full master cylinder from a breaker.

It looks like air was somehow getting in via the master cylinder and the clutch was releasing even though the lever was held in.

I have a spare few master cylinder parts if anyone ever needs any. Just drop me a PM. :burnout: