PDA

View Full Version : S4R Rear wheel removal

McMONSTRO
29-07-2005, 05:44 PM
I have a new Carbon hugger to fit and this requires the rear wheel to be removed, had the rear wheel out a few times on the S4 no problem, but this is the first time I've had to do a "single sider" and wondered what the procedure is? Do you have to take the cans off (std), rear brake caliper,does the axle pull out and if so which way? Does the sprocket carrier stay on etc?

Are there any do's and don'ts?

Does any one know the size of the wheelnuts coz I dont think I've got a big enough socket to fit, so a trip to the socket shop looks favorite (due to the extensive (read useless) Ducati tool kit) also whats the best thing to adjust the chain with? Got a C spanner but it wont fit on, seen one on e-bay but its in Germany! Oh...any one know the torque settings?

Finally I'm asumming that a paddock stand for 916/998 works for the S4R, if not let me know before tomorrow before I pick one up!!!!

Many thanks

McMonstro

Dave G
29-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Cant help with the details as I've never taken my S2r's wheel off,however,I have done my 916.The nut is the one one the right side of the bike and it holds just the wheel on.Dont undo the swingarm side.
A cursory look at both wheels would suggest the nut is the same as the 916- 46mm,and I'd hazard a guess that the spindle would be the same so a paddock stand,should fit both.
The nut is held on with a terrific tension and you'll have to go some to loosen it,a bar extension and actually standing on mine was how I did it-obviously before it went on the stand,though I have an abba stand that support the swingarm pivot,I also had to put it in gear AND get someone to step on the rear brake too.
You shouldn't have to loosen anything else,the wheel should come straight off and if you angle it slightly it should slip past the cans
How does the c-spanner not fit?,my 916 one does the S2R,it should slip into the hub underneath and doesnt need that much movement either,make sure you've loosened the pinch bolts beforehand.Have you got a ducati or a honda one? (I have an nc35 and an nc30 I must try those spanners to see if they'll fit too).
One other thing to remember is the torque setting of the pinch bolts and the rear nut are important when your putting it all back on.I had to borrow a torque wrench from a local bus garage to set my back wheel as mine wasnt big enough.
Seems like a bit of a hassle taking your wheel off to fit a hugger though,what make is it?

Dave G
29-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Oh yeah....remove that spring clip first,and remember which way round it fits! too,under that huge nut should be a washer and a tapered spacer/collar.

McMONSTRO
29-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Cheers Dave, that was quick!
The Huggers from JHP at Coventry, by CM Composit (Italian origin) saw one on Boons S4R, looks neat and protects the shock well, and was about £110!
It can be held on with cable ties, but the "preffered" method, acording to the instructions is with 3 x 4mm bolts via the tyre side of the swinging arm, which will look much neater.
No "C" spanner is supplied with the next to useless std tool kit, so I got one from Hein Gerike, origanally to adjust the rear shock (it wont do that either) in the hope that it would do the chain, and it wont!
The paddock stands coming from a Honda dealer so Ill check if the NC30/NC35 tool will fit!

Thanks
McMonstro

Dave G
29-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Make sure they give you a ducati stand as the spindle size is different betwwen honda, ducati and triumph,though I dont know how different.
Have fun,apart from the brute force bit its actually quite easy.

fluffy
29-07-2005, 09:03 PM
when i took the wheel off my 748 i couldn't find a big socket cheap enough. Ended up buying a three quarter drive socket set from machine mart. good value, and i've used it loads since for beating burglars and frightening seized nuts into submission

lee1980
31-07-2005, 10:17 PM
I would take off the lower can if you have standard cans as i never and found it real tight, so when it came thru the gap sharply the inside of the rim hit the disc only a small mark luckily :D

I got a socket that had been machined down so its not so tall and likely to slip off, and a 2 foot bar helps to ;)

McMONSTRO
01-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Cheers all, the list of things needed is getting longer!
So far:
Paddock stand
46mm socket 3/4 drive
1/2 to 3/4 adaptor
Torque wrench 1/2
4mm tap
Tap holder, chuck type coz cant swing a bar type in the space!
chain adjuster from germany

Not bad to fit a hugger eh!

Job planned for Sat morning....I'll let you know!

McM