PDA

View Full Version : Monster Swap

Jim66a
27-07-2005, 03:58 PM
The time has come for me to 'upgrade' my Monster 600. I've been to the local dealer today and they have various Monsters. 1st a brand spanker 800 dark in silver with a few carbon goodies on it 2nd a 1000ie ex demontrator and 3rd a used S4r with 6000miles on it. They'd also an S4 which looked real nice.
I've had a few insurance quotes and the S4r is only £100 a year more to insure than the 800

any advice welcome

Chappers
27-07-2005, 04:01 PM
The time has come for me to 'upgrade' my Monster 600. I've been to the local dealer today and they have various Monsters. 1st a brand spanker 800 dark in silver with a few carbon goodies on it 2nd a 1000ie ex demontrator and 3rd a used S4r with 6000miles on it.
I've had a few insurance quotes and the S4r is only £100 a year more to insure than the 800

any advice welcome

Go for it, get the S4R!!! :bunny: :D

Mind you, how long you been riding? :rolleyes:

Jim66a
27-07-2005, 04:06 PM
I should have mentioned that I've only been riding a few months altho I've put 3000 miles on the 600 in the two months i've had it. Was on an old bandit 600 before the monster. I went to look at the 800 but would i be wanting more from the bike within a couple of months

Chappers
27-07-2005, 04:10 PM
I've only been riding since April myself and am looking at flogging mine end of Aug (600 Dark) and was looking at upgrading to a 900 myself or if a nice, cheap S4 916 came along I'd have that and keep it for years to come instead of upgrading every year or so.

I'm still a bit of a novice :o so my advice ain't gonna do ya no good - wait and see what the others say I guess :)

Mr Cake
27-07-2005, 04:10 PM
I have owned an M750 for about three years and I love it! Never ever been sick of it. I don't hang about and I find the power just right, but its the corners in which every Ducati kicks a$$!!!

Dave

Jim66a
27-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Another reason for 'upgrading' the 600 is that I'm planning on getting on the ferry to bilbao and spending a couple of weeks riding back along the west coast of france next summer, So was after something that bit more powerfull to take the strain.

SAMMYE
27-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Despite being a bit of a loony I would advise against getting something as powerful as an S4R if you have only been riding a short while!

It is easy to become overconfident on bikes and it is important to build up skill and experience (in my view) first because a mistake on something like an S4R will be alot more costly

Albie
27-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I say go for what you wish for. Your as safe on a s4/r as a 600 poss more as the brakes and get out of it acceleration does help. I still regard myself as a novice with 27 years since biking although with gaps.I would noy now go smaller unless economics. Insurance is very good and fuel consumption. Servicing will be the only differance oh and how much bling you add :D :D

Zimbo
27-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Personally I wouldn't go for the S4R, it will catch you out very easily one day when you least expect it, spin the back wheel up or lift the front out of a corner and it'll go sky - grass - sky - grass bang before you even know what's happened. Servicing costs and depreciation will likely be higher too.
The ex demo thou sounds tempting though! Still more than enough power to get you into serious bother if you don't show it a bit of respect, but should be fairly manageable so long as you're sensible, being ex demo you'll get some money off, and it will happily cruise all day at whatever speed you want it to if touring.

Jasper
27-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Jim, I can recommend the S4r as a truely awsome piece of kit.
I took one round Mallory Park on the Track day on my second session out and i was Bricking it. In my first year of biking it was by far the quickest thing i'd been on (including a gsxr 600!!). It still had the Monster Characteristics, Nimble, Good cornering ability but with a brilliant power delivery. I'm well hooked and if i was as lucky as you were to be upgrading my M600 i would go for the S4r anyday (or maybe a Triumph Speed Triple!) you lucky Bugger.

bradders
27-07-2005, 08:01 PM
go for the S4R. Yes its got power to lift the wheel etc but that is controlled by your right hand...get what you want and take your time to learn to ride it.

If you're not sure, go get some training to handle it. That way, you wont be changing again in a couple of months ;)

whatever you get, ride it! :D

Scotty
27-07-2005, 08:30 PM
the 1000 ex demo
get a real good deal on it
cheapo service cost for the 2 valve heads
and thers that £500 token thing back from ducati with the 1000's still isnt there ?
and makes more torque than the s4 ? (i could be wrong)

slob
27-07-2005, 08:50 PM
the 1000 ex demo
get a real good deal on it
cheapo service cost for the 2 valve heads
and thers that £500 token thing back from ducati with the 1000's still isnt there ?

That'd be my choice but try 'em all and get what YOU want.

xjrjohn
27-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi
IMHO go for the s4r.....it will work out cheaper in the long run than constantly wanting 'more' bike.
John

gary tompkins
28-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi
IMHO go for the s4r.....it will work out cheaper in the long run than constantly wanting 'more' bike.
John

That is... until Ducati bring out the replacement for the S4R? :rolleyes:

I'd go with the 1000DS as the value for money option. Servicing & up-keep on the 4v motors is far more expensive compared to aircooled 2 valvers, especially if you are planning to rack up lots of miles on the bike with European jaunts.

However, as Slob said it's what you want that really counts ;)

Mr Cake
28-07-2005, 05:27 PM
That is... until Ducati bring out the replacement for the S4R?
And lets hope they do soon. I think it looks pants - too many pipes and rads, the swing arm looks toss and the cat looks like a big tooth filling - not pretty.

I might have a go on a 1000DS soon actually. I'll insist on one as a courtesy bike at my next service :D

Dave

gary tompkins
28-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Hmm... I take it your none to keen on the S4R then Dave? ;)

Prepare for the onslaught from "outraged of Swindon" :D

Shauns4
28-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I have an S4 which is a 4 valve motor which is a pain in the back side to service.

My wife has an M1000Sei which is easy to service.

In terms of performance the S4 is a little faster but in the real world the M1000 is easier to ride fast due to better low down grunt. The S4 is however a better handling better braked bike.

The M1000 is basically a very well proven motor, the 4 valvers are lets say less robust.

I would go for a 2 valver with as many CC's as you can afford.

I hope the next No.1 Monster has 3 valves, is air cooled and has lots of cc's.

NattyBoy
28-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Hmm... I take it your none to keen on the S4R then Dave? ;)

Prepare for the onslaught from "outraged of Swindon" :D

...Should have banged an extra £100 on that shock Dave you cheeky fecker..why dont you take your namby pamby 750 of yesteryear and sod off... :lol:

S4R every time (Surprise.. :rolleyes: ) if your happy with the looks. Yes its an animal, but only if you want it to be as Bradders says. Its one of the most planted bikes ive ridden handling wise, and inspires confidence and I wouldnt worry about a replacment for it..even if ducati (as they probably will) do stick a testasretta motor in it, you wont need any more power than the desmoquattro motor puts out.

Good luck anyhow.

Now I wonder if I can bribe Terry to give me Daves address ?? :twisted: :lol:

Nat

Mr Cake
28-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Hmm... I take it your none to keen on the S4R then Dave?

Not really. I do like the single sider thats on the MH900 though. Would like to find out if it's available as a DP upgrade.

...Should have banged an extra £100 on that shock Dave you cheeky fecker..why dont you take your namby pamby 750 of yesteryear and sod off...
Now now ladies, if you have anything about you you'll know that its not the bike - it's the biker ;)

Is there another UKMOC trackday planned anytime soon?

Dave (address supplied) :lol: