PDA

View Full Version : I'm in Didge's club

Macca
26-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Coming home from work last night - came up to a roundabout that I've driven past 1000's of times before, doing no more than 15mph and the back end just washed out.

I tried to straighten it out but ended up heading straight for the foot height curb of the roundabout. I tired to steer around it but the back end had still not settled down and the bike washed out.

I surfed for a few meters before ankle and bike hit the curb and got launched skywards. I managed to kick the bike away from me in the air and came to a nice soft landing :rolleyes:

Luckily the girl in the car next to me was an off duty rossa and got everything sorted out (ambulance police etc) and there were more than a few people who stopped to help.

The police who came out looked over everything and said the roundabout was drenched in diesel and that this kind of accident happens several times a month at that site (for those in Leeds it's the roundabout at J46 of the M1 crossing the A63 - complete with a Texaco garage less than 10 meters away)

Got to say the police were great - spent 45 minutes taking the p**s out of me - along with the paramedics. They were all bikers which probably helped.

As to my injuries, a couple of grazes on my knee (where it rubbed against the Kevlar lining on impact. My left shin, ankle and foot are all in a bad way.

There are no breaks but as the nice young nurse said "That's an impressive swelling..... In fact I've not seen one that big in a long time" (coupled with the comedy wheeling my foot into a door with my bad foot first, I felt like I was on the set of a carry-on film).

I can put some weight on it but not without causing enough pain to turn me a nice shade of green - which as it happens matches the nice shade of black my foot has gone.

Anyway enough of all that, just be vary mindful of diesel spills. I didn't see or smell it this time and it could have quite easily killed me :mad:

Macca

Plum
26-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Glad your not far more serioulsy hurt Macca, although bruising is a bitch and takes just as long to heal. At lease Didge has someone to talk to in the day now. Saves him from ripping the head off it!

steviej
26-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Glad it's nothing too serious there Paul, mend soon!!!! :cool:

bod
26-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Glad your all right(ish) fella,hope the Strada ain't to messy.
Why don't car/lorry manufactures invent a filler cap that won't start the car untill refitted?
Maybe they will loose all the sales on lost filler caps left at petrol stations :rolleyes:

cheeky monkey
26-07-2005, 07:38 PM
yes it is a bitch of a roundabout. make sure you tell your insurance all about it. do the police have any other incidents on file. ps I live at manston not far away ;)

Tigerlily
26-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Get well soon Macca :)

There should be cameras on roudabouts to catch the idiots that spill the bloody stuff instead of having speed cameras every 1/4 mile. :mad:

Scotty
26-07-2005, 09:45 PM
DOH
get well soon

Didge
26-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Oh dear. Not another one. Glad you've not broken anything Macca.
Bloody diesel. I wonder how many poor bastards get killed because of that sh*t every year.
Rest up, and here's hoping for a quicker recovery than mine.

Macca
26-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Oh dear. Not another one. Glad you've not broken anything Macca.
Bloody diesel. I wonder how many poor bastards get killed because of that sh*t every year.
Rest up, and here's hoping for a quicker recovery than mine.

I was just so shocked at how quickly it happened - it's a bugger and no doubt!

I'll be very careful whenever I see a filling station from now on...

Still can't quite get my head around it all, definitely something I wish not to repeat.

On the plus side my foot looks like it belongs to the elephant man, I don't think that I've got too much undamaged tissue down there. :rolleyes:

On top of all that a situation has arose today that could do with me paying someone a visit and giving them "a thick ear" but I can't think of a way to disguise the fact I can't walk - or stand very well for that matter!

Probably for the best I feel, I could always send them a picture of my foot I suppose :)

Cheers for all the well wishes everyone

Macca

Moley
27-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Get well soon. It is difficult when there is no warning. Perhaps there ought to be a new warning sign in areas where it is a regular occurrence. Bod's idea is good or perhaps new diesel vehicles should be made with a warning light/noise to indicate that the filler cap is not fitted or tight.

Fred
27-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Does it spill because the filler cap isn't on properly, or does it come out of the breather/overflow. If it's the overflow a bottle on the end would catch it. Anyway you wouldn't think anybody would want to spill it at the price it is. Best of luck and get well soon.

Fred

cheeky monkey
27-07-2005, 08:08 PM
macca just for info on the way home from squires tonight. zx10r in bits all over road ,very long slide marks. rider upright but shaken. (if any of you are in this area take care it really is a bad roundabout).dont know if you can get your ins to check accident figures for this road but it may help with a claim.

cheeky monkey
27-07-2005, 08:09 PM
just looking at your avitar. did you ruffle any feathers in the fall :rolleyes:

Macca
28-07-2005, 09:21 AM
just looking at your avitar. did you ruffle any feathers in the fall :rolleyes:

Ruffled, not plucked, just ruffled :cool:

Update on my club foot - The swelling has not gone down one bit and the brusing is still comming out. Not sure if that's good or bad.... :confused:

Cheers

Macca

SAMMYE
28-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Ruffled, not plucked, just ruffled :cool:

Update on my club foot - The swelling has not gone down one bit and the brusing is still comming out. Not sure if that's good or bad.... :confused:

Cheers

Macca

Did you have it x-rayed? Even if you did you might want to get it checked again if your worried because they can miss things. Are you taking anti inflammatories? hows the pain?

Macca
28-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Did you have it x-rayed? Even if you did you might want to get it checked again if your worried because they can miss things. Are you taking anti inflammatories? hows the pain?

They X-rayed my ankle / shin and no breaks. Didn't xray my foot though although from past experience they can't do much for that in any case.

Pain on a scale of 1-10 is about a 7-8 at the moment, it's a definite 10 in the mornings but it dulls down after about 20 mins - Oh i'm taking Ibruprofin as well

Macca

bod
28-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Try Vodka ...it isn't as cheap but dulls the pain better until the morning after :)

Little Monster
28-07-2005, 10:06 PM
if you've got a witness in form of police to say there was deisel on the road and that was what sent you off and you were not at fault, then you can make an injury claim even tho you have no defendant thu the MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau). Untraced driver agreement.

It's not as 'good' as having a defendant and i think it may just be the injury element you can claim for - can't remember but i can find out if you need me to. it won't put you back in the position if you hadn't had the accident.

you may have legal expenses on your bike/car insurance to cover such a claim or your house insurance, credit cards, member of trade union etc.

any problems, give me a pm.

Macca
29-07-2005, 09:46 AM
if you've got a witness in form of police to say there was deisel on the road and that was what sent you off and you were not at fault, then you can make an injury claim even tho you have no defendant thu the MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau). Untraced driver agreement.

It's not as 'good' as having a defendant and i think it may just be the injury element you can claim for - can't remember but i can find out if you need me to. it won't put you back in the position if you hadn't had the accident.

you may have legal expenses on your bike/car insurance to cover such a claim or your house insurance, credit cards, member of trade union etc.

any problems, give me a pm.

Cheers for that - I'll give it a few more days just to see how fubar my leg is

Macca