PDA

View Full Version : it's gone flakey

birchie
26-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I is depressed,

I keep me 'italian bitch', as the better half calls her, nice n warm, kept in the garage only ridden her ooh 10 times in the rain in 16 months if that, wot a tart I hear you cry, n the paint has blistered and flaked off in large pieces from the crank cases near to the cat.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this on there s4r.

Julie
26-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Its a common problem on all the Monsters...so get it to your dealer and they will sort it out for you.

Julie

Will
26-07-2005, 12:46 PM
I is depressed,

I keep me 'italian bitch', as the better half calls her, nice n warm, kept in the garage only ridden her ooh 10 times in the rain in 16 months if that, wot a tart I hear you cry, n the paint has blistered and flaked off in large pieces from the crank cases near to the cat.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this on there s4r.

They all do that - my 620ie did it after about 6,000 miles from new - had to have the crank cases replaced under warranty.

If you get the cases replaced then look after the new ones! If you get the slightest chip in the paint then seal it immediately otherwise it will happen all over again. If the warranty has run out it will cost you about a zillion pounds to fix as the entire engine has to be stripped and rebuilt. Not that I want to worry you :eek:

CK & AK
26-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Its a common problem on all the Monsters...so get it to your dealer and they will sort it out for you.

Julie

yup, happened on both mine.

1st bike at 5 months old & 7000 miles, 2nd bike at 2 weeks old & 300 miles.

Both had crank cases (the 750ie had lots more) replaced FOC by Ducati.

Any probs with your dealer not offering to replace them, let us know who they are wont you? - or if you need help in any way, but do get them done before warranty is out

C :)

birchie
26-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the responce guys

Did you guys have any problem gettin it done, last time I had a claim with ducati it was on me 748 for warped discs after only 6k, it was a nightmare !!!

CK & AK
26-07-2005, 08:31 PM
no probs - but do notify them asap mate.

I see you are in Sussex - well I know of at least one bike done for this 'flaking casing paint' at Pro-twins, another at P & H, 2 at DLS....... mine & 3 others have been done at Snells - and these are just ones I know of in the last 3 years.

Good luck :)

C

S4 MAD
27-07-2005, 12:36 PM
had same kind of problems on my bike after a chat with ducati uk!
and a chat with my local dealer they suddenly decided to relpace
parts wich were affected. :burnout:

Will
27-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the responce guys

Did you guys have any problem gettin it done, last time I had a claim with ducati it was on me 748 for warped discs after only 6k, it was a nightmare !!!

Mine was done at St.Neots Motorcycles - I first notified Ducati of the problem in the early Summer and they said that it would be helpful to wait until after the 'season' as the dealer would not be so busy - I had no problem with this and St. Neots did it over a period of about 2-weeks in November/December. It is quite a big job as the engine has to come out and completely stripped and rebuilt along with new main bearings, shims etc.

CK & AK
27-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Time?

I was told to leave my 750ie for about 10 days. Dropped it off on a Sat - and it was ready for collection on the following Sat - so 5 workshop days.

The M1000 was quoted as a similar time, but after dropping it again on a Sat, it was ready for collection on the Thurs lunchtime, so only taking 3 & a half days.

Have you called them yet? :confused:

C :)

birchie
01-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks to one n all for your advice n comments much appreciated.
Called in at me dealer ( Pro-v ) spoke to Peter about it i'll obviosly keep
ya posted as to how it goes.

Thanks again

Birchie

NattyBoy
01-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Mine was done at St.Neots Motorcycles - I first notified Ducati of the problem in the early Summer and they said that it would be helpful to wait until after the 'season' as the dealer would not be so busy - I had no problem with this and St. Neots did it over a period of about 2-weeks in November/December. It is quite a big job as the engine has to come out and completely stripped and rebuilt along with new main bearings, shims etc.

Mollcoddle mine to death..and ive got a couple of chips..any recommendations on what to seal it with ??!

On a seperate note - Charlotte - do you usually get a loan bike when you go to snells..im probably going to book my bike in for a service there..

Nat

CK & AK
01-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Nat - they only do a 1 day loan. So drop off & pick up same day.

Otherwise, I have to use the train - or blag a lift.

Thought you were going to use Rich - or are you still in warranty with yours?

NattyBoy
01-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Still in warranty with the R..! Rich will be giving her TLC from the next service ! Bit of a ball ache to get down from swindon (will propbably trailer it down and leave it there), but I dont want any reprobates working on my bike (wasnt overly impressed with Bridge in Andover for my first service) - and Snells do seem to have a very good reputation !

Cheers
Nat

NattyBoy
01-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Still in warranty with the R..! Rich will be giving her TLC along with the 888 from the next service ! Bit of a ball ache to get down from swindon (will propbably trailer it down and leave it there), but I dont want any reprobates working on my bike (wasnt overly impressed with Bridge in Andover for my first service) - and Snells do seem to have a very good reputation !

Cheers
Nat