PDA

View Full Version : The Ideal Monster Toolkit?

Desmondo
23-07-2005, 09:05 AM
I recently purchased a 2001 Monster 750. Being addicted to dismantling thngs I thought I'd have a look at the condition of its sparkies. I found what looked devilishly like a spark plug spanner in the small tool pouch but this was some kind of cruel joke as it doesn't fit the plugs. :confused: I also noticed that the top plug is not particularly accessible suggesting spanner choice may be important. So this leads me to the question what tools would you folks recommend for general maintenance of your Monster? Anything you have discovered that you could not live without etc?

Cheers

Desmondo

Andy S
23-07-2005, 10:14 AM
yeah you need the correct box spanner for plugs, It's a very well known fact. :o

Box spanner is cheap :bunny: from autofactor type shops. Next is big allen key or wrench / allen key adapter for oil dain plug...then strap to lossen oil filter. There are large adapters about than fit the oil filter body, they are good. or theres screw driver though filter methord!! savage but effective..oh cheap.

You'll need a load of allen keys, large ones or wench adaptors for working around the front end, brakes wheel spindal. Drapper tools do a set of allen key / wench adapters.

M&P web shoppie are good for tools and bits

http://www.mandp.co.uk/home.aspx

have fun, Andy S :burnout:

fluffy
23-07-2005, 02:49 PM
If you want devillishly cruel look at a Superlight. Toolkit (ho ho) under seat, seat held on with screws.
I think your box spanner thingy is summat to do with the front axle if I remember my 748 toolkit.
My much better halfs Monster toolkit is...... plug spanner, plugs, brake levers (!!), and 17mm open ender, RAC card, big smile and husband.

Duncan
23-07-2005, 03:03 PM
The box spanner is for the plugs but was originally for Champion. Most people change to NGK that have a different hexagon.

Having a tool box full of decent quality tools, I rarely use the toolkit. I think its the same kit as is supplied with the basic Meccano number 1 kit and the mamod steam engine.

Desmondo
23-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I have a good supply of tools from working on other bikes and cars and with the few additions mentioned I should be sorted. Now i'm off to investigate that clutch mechanism!

Desmondo

steviej
23-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Welcome to the Machine Des.......

DesmoDog
24-07-2005, 05:35 PM
A decent torque wrench up to about 30nm. Not the blody monster I have. If you have oodles of cash - and lets face it, who dosent? Then pop over to Ducatisuite.com and have a giggle at the set suggested by our erstwhile American friend. Then pick out the things you would actually use, like allen keys etc and put your own set together. I got a lovely set of allen key heads for my sockets from fleabay for £15.

And I use a deep socket for the sparkplugs. NGK of course.

crust
24-07-2005, 07:46 PM
I carry these under the seat:

http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=6077

http://www.primetools.co.uk/pages/displaycat.asp?415 - facom vise grips

A couple of fuses, some wire, 8,10,12mm combination spanners

A piece of rag

:) Crust

bod
24-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Hmm... Reconmend a 10 drawer Snap On tool chest in the garage for repairs,I ive needed it for my 04 plate 620.(did someone mention these things are reliable)? :confused:

slob
24-07-2005, 10:25 PM
There's almost nought ya can't fix with a big hammer and a set of mole-grips!

Scotty
24-07-2005, 11:04 PM
humm it all depends what you want to fix realy , and anyway no matter what you take you will need a different tool to fix the bit that breaks

i think the spare break / clutch leaver is proberly the best item to take of all the times ive droped bike its crashed remarkably well and ive been able to bend parts back in to enough shape to ride home sort of thing , uh and plugs perhaps humm water dispersent is proberly high on the list my old monsta was a nacker in the rain