PDA

View Full Version : War Of The Worlds. Better than we hoped........

Didge
18-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Jan & I went to see the Spielberg 'War Of The Worlds' film today, and we both thought it was bloody great.
It is NOT 'Independance Day' part 2 as many of us feared.
Also, although set in todays world, it is still close to the H.G. Wells story in many ways.
No "America saves the world" bullsh*t here, just a bloody good film revolving around one working man trying to save himself and his kids from death.

lord vader
19-07-2005, 09:58 AM
The end was a bit ID4 american hyped up cheese but the rest was pretty good....
a perfect compliment to this for the following eve would be
Wedding Crashers
Saw it the other night and pi$$ed my self from start to fininsh.
right up there with Dumb and Dumber
its got Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson and Will Ferral in it and Funny isn't the word. it is as good if not better than DodgeBall.

spacemonkey
20-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Didge, any word on the Brit flick version yet?

Albie
20-07-2005, 06:39 PM
We went to see it on friday. Caroline hid at a few moments the scared woman LOL. Oh and ate all the pop corn too :eek: Thought it was really good. Yep usual yank heroic ending. Not a good dvd though as I think you need to be enveloped in the screen. :D

Didge
20-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Didge, any word on the Brit flick version yet?

Space, this is what I understand from my next door neighbour, who's a film buff.
Apparently, it was released in the states at about the same time as the Spielberg version. It will be released over here (according to him), around September time.
Typical is it not, that a film made over here, is released in the U.S. first.
I recommend you see the Spielburg one tho' Space, especially while it's on in the cinema. I was not disappointed. The tri-pods are great, and VERY, VERY noisy, especially when they blow their klaxon horns when gathering for an attack.
As I said before, it is closer to the book than I thought it would be, but I cannot say too much or it will spoil it for those who have yet to see it.
Only the VERY ending is a little cheesy, as someone else has said.

A Yerbury
20-07-2005, 07:22 PM
is the book ending not a bit fromage too? perhaps they felt obliged to stay close to the script?

Paranoid Dave
20-07-2005, 08:18 PM
i dont see too many at the flix, but i do fancy seeing the brit flic version. On a different note, what you think of the shots from willy wonka? I seen a few bits and it looks very odd, but i like JD and tim Burton so think it'll probably be a hit, even if slightly cult viewing.

Duncan
20-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Thought Didge might be waiting for the new Dukes of Hazzard movie to hit our shores. Some ham acting and awful props but Jessica Simpson as Daisy Duke sure does it for me. Good ol Willie Nelson even makes an appearance as Uncle Jessie.

spacemonkey
20-07-2005, 09:25 PM
is the book ending not a bit fromage too? perhaps they felt obliged to stay close to the script?

Interesting the comparisons that can be made. When Herbie wrote TWOFW England WAS the centre of the world, so if the martians took London, then the rest would surely fall, as we were the strongest, most advanced nation at the time. We controlled an accidental Empire by subduing any unruly natives with superior firepower and technology, just as the martians then did to us. Now the US see themselves as the most powerful nation on earth, so again, if America falls so does the rest etc, so the Martians would invade the US. Until 'friendly bacteria' and his nerdy chums save the day?

Didge
21-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Morgan Freeman narrates, word for word almost to the original book.
As I said, there is much of the original material in this film.
I'm glad the ending was kept original, it was just rather hurried and I thought a little more could have been added.
When I mentioned a cheesy ending, I didn't mean the way the aliens died, but the bit at the VERY end when Tom Cruise reaches his ex-wives home.
Well, I rate it as a very good film.

NattyBoy
21-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Agree..ending a bit lame, but effects best ive seen..and made a change to see Tom Cruise without that smug grin of his !! Excellent film.

LV - If Weddingcrashers is better than dodgeball then I cant bloody wait !! I had to pause Dodgeball a couple of times I was pissing myself so much !!! (can you believe I only watched it for the first time about 2 weeks ago..doh !)

Nat