PDA

View Full Version : carved up by a nutter on a suzuki!

bigredduke
16-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Went for a rideout with lox today. Coming into Bridington on the Sledmere road, last blind left-hander before the next T junction, a suzuki came steaming round the bend, overtaking a car on my side of the road. If I had been going a little faster & on a slightly wider line (which I tend to take entering a bend) he (I'm assuming male rider here) would have hit me head on. I was particularly bothered because I had my 10 year old daughter on the back. :mad:

There was absolutely no way he could have seen if anything was coming the other way or not - I could easily have been driving a 40 tonne artic.

Paradoxically, on my last few rides out, when considering overtaking a car I have been more wary of other bikes tanking it coming the other way than cars.

I enjoy a fast ride but some of the riding I have witnessed recently has been bloody stupid! :eek:

steviej
16-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Le petit branleur....................................... :D

Mr C
16-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Lucky escape, I am very wary of bikes coming the other way. Was behind a mate of mine the other week he did the same as the Suzuki guy did to you and from my view point it looked scary. It no worth it if you havent got a good veiw round the corner. My Mates Flat out everywhere on his R1 and i keep telling him its only a matter of time. Love a fast ride myself but im not out to kill myself or others

spacemonkey
17-07-2005, 08:33 PM
And they wonder why bikers have a bad name?

Never mind, I always have room for one more.....

Lona
18-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Yep, it's not just car drivers we have to look out for. Some friends of mine were out riding in the Lake District a couple of years ago when they were skittled by a bike coming the other way on their side of the road. The "guilty" rider was killed, one friend had his leg smashed up, and the other was in hospital for months(needed the air ambulance to get there as well) with lacerated liver, nerve damage to his arm and sundry other serious injuries. Scary stuff!

SazzaG
18-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Some bikes definitely make you ride like a nutter - that's why Rog got rid of his R6....

I had two bikes go round the outside of me when I was turning right at a roundabout the other day. There wasn't room for them to do it, and it was bloody lucky for them that I actually use my left hand mirror, as most drivers don't (comes from riding a bike!). The thing is, if I'd made my feelings known to them, they would probably just brand me as an idiot car driver who hates bikers.

I do have a UKMOC sticker on the back of my car, but only UKMOCers know what that is.

Sussex Police are running a new bike safe type course at the moment, because of the rise in biker deaths last year. That's all very well, but it strikes me that the kind of bikers that would go on the course are probably more aware of their speed, etc anyway. Well, at least the police are approaching it from an education point of view, rather than just trying to ban us all..

Saz