PDA

View Full Version : Oil light not working?

djkus
16-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Aint had my monster 600 that long, the other day the red oil light came on when key was put in, went off when engine started..
read up on this and apparently this is normal..
however, i suspect there is something wrong with the red oil light wiring, as that was the first (and last) time ive seen it light..
not light now when key put in,.. which means that IF i do have an oil problem in the future, ill not know till the engine stops...

any idea on what it could be?
all other electrics work ok on the bike, suspect a bad wire or something to the led..
please advise.
paul

Scotty
16-07-2005, 11:30 AM
oil pressure sensor
i believe some bloke on the dsc site had 11 failures in a row or sumit mental
its that thing next to the oil filler cap
not mega expensive about a £10 n a bit

djkus
16-07-2005, 03:12 PM
ok thanks dude, any idea where i could get one?
easy to fit u think?
paul

Scotty
16-07-2005, 03:55 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=6900&stc=1

easy peasy

the bolt size on the pressure sensor is 24 mm
do not over tighten it as is oh so easy to do with a 24 mm spanner

just pretend the engine case is silver and on a bike ;)

Scotty
16-07-2005, 03:57 PM
from a dealer but of course

uh you proberlt want to test it before you buy
errm to do so id guess at once engine is running just dissconect the wire going to the sensor and the light should come on ? i cant actually test that out on my bike at the moment

djkus
16-07-2005, 04:25 PM
ok dude, thanks very much for the pic.. nice one.
ill ring up dealer on monday to see what they going to rob me.
there only is one ducati dealer here in n.ireland, so they probably want me to remortgage house. lol

djkus
17-07-2005, 11:06 AM
well, i removed the connection to the oil sensor hoping it would then light up...
unfortunatly it doesnt.. so i guess the sensor is ok and there is either no power to the light or the light is broken..
i would suspect the light is broken, but i seen it on last week for first time, so any other ideas what it can be?
thanks, paul

Scotty
17-07-2005, 01:45 PM
could be onother one of my favourites snaped wires in the wireing loom
typically near the head stock try the unplug sensor thing with the bars on full lock each way to see if that makes a difference or not
umm and yeah disnmalnel clock to check the bulb

djkus
17-07-2005, 02:16 PM
wow! amazing.. just washed bike there.. disconected oil sensor a few times, plugged in. nothing....
red light didnt even come on when sensor out...
read ur last post there, went out to try what u sugested and the oil light only bloody works doesnt it! lol

wiggled all wires as the light was light to see if i could simulate the fault.. i couldnt..

i removed the oil sensor, and the light went off....
sprayed a bit of wd40 in it and on the wires that plug in.
seems to be fine now!

thanks for ur advice.

lamp doesnt come on however when i pull sensor out when engine on...
lamp does go out when i pull sensor out before i start engine, so i guess it works.
paul

Scotty
17-07-2005, 02:40 PM
ahh right il bet if you touched the wire (to the oil sensor) to the frame (earth) the light would come on then

djkus
17-07-2005, 04:34 PM
not sure, ill try that next time im out.
with oil sensor disconected however.. with engine on, should the light be on or off?
mine is off..

Scotty
17-07-2005, 04:41 PM
proberly off
as race bike with magnesium clutch side engine case have no oil pressure sensor
so presumably it would be off in that instance

but i couldnt be sure about that

djkus
17-07-2005, 05:23 PM
ok, well it seems to be doing what its supposed to anyway..
thanks, hope it stays workin` now.

PaulS
17-07-2005, 05:38 PM
If you disconnect the plug from the oil pressure sensor then the light should never come on whether the engine is running or not unless you have an earthing fault somewhere in the wiring. The sensor effectively acts as a switch and earths the connection if the engine is not running or the pressure is too low to activate the switch, i.e. the warning light is intended to indicate low oil pressure. It sounds to me like you have a wiring fault, probably around the headstock area as Scotty suggested. This is a common fault with Monsters.

The senors themselves are also a PITA if you happen to wash your bike as they aren't very well sealed and fail if they get water in them. The symptom for this is that the oil light glows all the time, even when the engine is running. The first time it happened to me I thought the engine was about to go bang. Again this is a common fault.

djkus
17-07-2005, 07:34 PM
ok,., the saga continues... oil light is off again before i start engine..
oil switch must be definatly faulty, ill see if i can get one during the week.
when it was on earlier it was on ok and no matter how i moved the cables about it stayed on ok..
nothing was moved... just bike got a bit hot after riding..
so i guess the sensor probably works when cold...

ill get a new one, thanks for advice.
paul

djkus
18-07-2005, 06:43 PM
ok, rang up ducati dealer in belfast today, they aint got the sensors in, but are getting me one in.. at a cost of £19.34
should have it next week.

Do you think thats an ok price? I have no option to be honest as there is only one ducati dealer in n.i
(to my knowledge)

Couldnt find anywhere i could get one online... is there anywherE?

Scotty
18-07-2005, 06:45 PM
priceyer than i thought
i woudl think most main delars will post one out to ya
try the back of mcn for ducati spares
or the likes of spareshack etc online

PaulS
18-07-2005, 07:04 PM
I never actually paid for any of the replacements I had but I believe the RRP is in the region of £20. Two sources of spares on-line that are usually cheaper than Ducati dealers are www.ducatisparesonline.co.uk and www.spareshack.com . Lee at Ducatisparesonline is very helpful but doesn't seem to have any pressure switches at the moment but you could e-mail him. Stuart at Spareshack is also a good chap and gives UKMOC members a discount. He doesn't show all his stock on the site but you could try e-mailing him as well.

djkus
20-07-2005, 11:24 PM
whilst waiting for replacement oil sensor to arrive, its only started working! lol
well.. the odd time, mainly from a cold engine.. ive noticed it doesnt ever work once the sensor is hot.. and it does get hot after a run...
strange eh