PDA

View Full Version : IT helpdesk ??

stef
07-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Since a lot you guys are IT experts, i have small problem i'dlike to run through.. who knows, i might get the right answer..
i have a problem with my asus a7v600-x mobo(Athlon 2.8+512Mb)

i have just put that PC together, and installed XP pro.
i installed all drivers and XP service packs 1 and 2
XP recognises that the onboard sound and LAN are present (no conflict) but nothing seems to be coming out of the connectors. all apps are working fine, expect, no sound, no LAN.
I spent a few hours with the NTL help line (redirected to india) to see if there was any problem with my XP configuration, unsuccesfully. We tried a few things, but the last drop down menu the guy went through was telling me that they were sorry, couldnt solve my problem, and i should speak to my friends who work at PC world for help... i dont have friends at pcworld...not even at my local curries branch... nice.

the symptoms are as if my back connector panel was not connected...XP tells me everything is fine, but it aint. all other ports on the back panel are fine.

as a fix, i installed a linksys NIC and a SB16 in spare PCI slots, and i now have LAN and sound through those, not a glitch.

i have checked the bios for something in there deactivating the LAN or sound, but nothing will do. same with jumpers.

i'd just like to be able to use the onboard peripherical if possible...
ideas anyone, or should i just start hanging around PC world, looking interested in one of them 12 inches joysticks, until some sales man befriends me.

slob
07-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Sounds as though you've covered it apart from trying BIOS updates, have you considered it might be a faulty MoBo? You've already fixed it by testing!

stef
07-07-2005, 04:01 PM
yes, it looks like its a mobo problem. i 'll try downloading new drivers, but you would have thought asus tests their drivers before burning a driver cd..but what do i know.

manc skank
07-07-2005, 06:18 PM
could be the traces in the mbo are shot? you tried the latest drivers from asus website?