PDA

View Full Version : High revs in the rain!???!?

craigie
05-07-2005, 05:43 PM
I know this has been mentioned before but can't remember if there was a definitive answer.

Riding home in the rain after work, after 20 mins or so the bike decides to stay at 5000 revs, luckily the lights are green and give me a chance to hit the kill switch and coast to a stop.

The cable is not sticking, very smooth new one. I try again, straight up to 5000 revs, kill switch, ping the cable, prod bits, twist the grip, try again, same. After a few attempts at this it decides 2000 revs will do so crawl home trying to encourage it to not go much higher.

This happened to me a while ago, well ages, since I got a new throttle assembly it has not happened so I thought that was it, but no. It only ever happens in the rain. The bits that move seem to all be moving the right way. Could it be something electrical, a sensor perhaps being affected by the rain and causing the engine to do its crazy thing?

Any ideas or even a definite answer would be much appreciated cause the forecast ain't lookin' good and I now take my lady to work on the back so don't really want bad stuff to happen. By the way, got a triboseat for pillion stuff and it seems to make a big difference, looks ****e though.

Cheers

Craig

JMo
05-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Happened to me today too - rode from north west Wales all the way home in the pi55ing rain the whole pi55ing way... came off the M4 at Newbury and noticed the throttle was sticking at about 2000/2500rpm - wiggled the cable rocker on the side of the EFi and it dropped back to 1200 tickover - did it a couple more times on the way back too - a squit of WD40 over and behind the throttle pivot usually cures it - it happened to me on the way to last year's Monster Weekend too - as you say, only ever in the wet...

xxx

slob
05-07-2005, 08:06 PM
I had this but haven't had it happen again since new throttle bodies were fitted. Definitely the shaft with the butterflys on sticking since there was slack in the cable at the bottom and I could fix it by pushing the quadrant to the shut position. Sorry I can't give you a better answer than get ready with the kill switch.

craigie
05-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Ta Jen and Rob

like I said though everything is going back to where it should, I will give it all a liberal dousing of WD40 and hope that it has some kind of placebo effect.

cheers

Craig

Bruza
06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Don't forget to check that the Choke/throttle advance isn't sticking open... exactly the same thing happened on mine a good while back.

A Yerbury
06-07-2005, 12:57 PM
proper cold and water in the cables will freeze, at this time of year unlikely but not inevitable -que conversation about the weather... I blame thatcher.

craigie
06-07-2005, 06:33 PM
spoke to Ray at Rosso Corse and he reckons they need to look at the throttle bodies so I'll take it down there at the weekend and hopefully find out for sure.

so its looking like Rob's the winner.

I'll let you know what the experts say.

cheers

Craig

Richard_S
06-07-2005, 06:45 PM
I’ve had this a couple of times of late and not just in the wet. Something certainly not right somewhere and just as well I had read up on the textbook Bud Ekins bunny hop technique or I would have been wearing transit on at least one occasion.

craigie
06-07-2005, 08:38 PM
just as well I had read up on the textbook Bud Ekins bunny hop technique

ah the bunny hop, the only thing I was ever any good at in my BMXing days. And the only thing that didn't involve a trip to the hospital afterwards, stoppies, wheelies and ramps invariably led to unconsciousness, short term blindness, broken bones or loss of blood. Aye those were the days indeed.

Gadget
07-07-2005, 02:51 PM
I just thought it was a monster thing. Both of my bikes have done this. Though my new one doesn't do it as often. But it does still do it and only in the rain.

craigie
10-07-2005, 04:32 PM
No definitive answer but its looking likely that i will be needing some new throttle bodies.....

I had this but haven't had it happen again since new throttle bodies were fitted.

...so Rob how much do these monkies cost?

Capo
11-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Definitely the shaft with the butterflys on sticking since there was slack in the cable at the bottom and I could fix it by pushing the quadrant to the shut position.

This was EXACTLY my observation when I encounterd a sticking throttle. Happened after I did the hose down clean. I lubricated the butterfly linkages with WD40 which reduced but did not eliminate the high idle.

It was cured when the whole lot came off for the engine mods.