PDA

View Full Version : replacing s4r exhausts & cat

bigredduke
01-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I have noticed a few threads on the above but I am still unsure!!!
If the whole system is replaced for something sexier, is the cat not a legal requirement (MOT etc)? Also, does the engine management system need updating or altering in some way. In my day ie the 70's, a replacement exhaust usually meant re-jetting the carbs but I guess we have come a long way since then!
Can anybody clarify? :confused:

LesPaul
01-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi Bigred,

As far as I'm aware the ecu on fuel injected bikes can cope as it can adjust the fueling to a certain degree it's self to compensate, if however you replace the exhaust system and the air filter you really need to look at putting a PC3 on your bike so you can set up your fuel injection to a custom map to cope with the better breathing.
So far I have Arrow end cans on mine with no alterations to the fueling and it has been run on a dyno and checked to make sure it's fueling is ok and it's spot on, looking to put a type 2 link pipe on soon :twisted:
As for needing a cat for the MOT, I honestly don't know if it is a legal requirement for motorcycles yet.
I'm sure somebody wil be along soon to put us right :D

Darren

Black Ferret
01-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Hi Bigred,

As far as I'm aware the ecu on fuel injected bikes can cope as it can adjust the fueling to a certain degree it's self to compensate, if however you replace the exhaust system and the air filter you really need to look at putting a PC3 on your bike so you can set up your fuel injection to a custom map to cope with the better breathing.
So far I have Arrow end cans on mine with no alterations to the fueling and it has been run on a dyno and checked to make sure it's fueling is ok and it's spot on, looking to put a type 2 link pipe on soon :twisted:
As for needing a cat for the MOT, I honestly don't know if it is a legal requirement for motorcycles yet.
I'm sure somebody wil be along soon to put us right :D

Darren

Don't mean to hijack. But i've head about type 1 and type 2 link pipes, what's the difference between the two?

LesPaul
01-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Type 1 = two seperate pipes
Type 2 = two into 1 into 2
Have a look here (http://www.spareshack.com/cgi-bin/browse-no-frames.cgi?view=item&item=exrep_pipestype1&session=67803154)

Darren