PDA

View Full Version : greenfly!!!!

bigredduke
27-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Grit & salt in winter (not that I ever ride past mid-October), squashed flies and melted tar in Summer! Is there ever a time of year when your bike/helmet/leathers is not subject to some onslaught or other?

Evening rides seem to be a particular problem at the moment with my visor covered in fly guacomole after just a few minutes!
Any road up - what do people use to clean & condition leathers out there in monsterland? (and bikes and helmets and visors etc)

Or does the fly-blown look appeal to some?

Pedro
28-06-2005, 06:21 AM
Use baby wipes on your leathers - Tescos cheapies are just fine.

As for visors, I take mine off, soak it in warm water and use very mild soap - Arai visors don't mix well with some of the visor cleaners available.

Ped

Mand
28-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Use baby wipes on your leathers - Tescos cheapies are just fine.

As for visors, I take mine off, soak it in warm water and use very mild soap - Arai visors don't mix well with some of the visor cleaners available.

Ped

You beat me to it! Warm soapy water is the way. :)

It "seems" particularly worse when you have yellow bike and a yellow "legohead" helmet though....... :p

Melnie Mouse
28-06-2005, 07:38 AM
yes baby wipes for leather, then you can wax or nikwax them after to keep them nice and little resiliant to rain spots, but babywipe them first..

Visors, you can get loads of visor cleaner but don't use Autoglym visor cleaner (rots the visors) but kitchen roll soaked in mild soapy water's just fine! :D

MikeG
28-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Personally I never have got round to cleaning my leathers, so its definately Fly-Blown look for me at the moment. The rain will wash them off soon enough. Mind you I don't seem to get round to cleaning the bike either, however I polish my helmet regularly.
Most of my commute is cross country so I suffer from bugs and insects which can really play havoc with visibility especially when the sun is low...
Baby wipes? Well there are plenty in the house so maybe I will give them a try...

bigredduke
29-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Telling me that you polish your helmet regularly is way too much information!!!!! :lol:

spacemonkey
29-06-2005, 05:44 PM
For stubborn carcasses, spit on them to digest them first, then wipe off.

bigredduke
29-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Does it work for traffic cops?

Andy S
29-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Yeah lots of Gob on splattered flies works.

On leathers I use saddle soap, got from horsey type shops (why do girls always smile when "riding horses" ;) )or that kitchen cleaner with orange juice / stuff in..also good on visors :rolleyes:
Andy S

MikeG
30-06-2005, 06:59 AM
For stubborn carcasses, spit on them to digest them first, then wipe off.

It works quite well if you spit on them and then lick them off, also boots your intake of protein....
The little ones taste OK!

slob
30-06-2005, 07:14 AM
A friend of mine who made leather gear recommended Nivea cream for leathers. If it's good for your skin, it's good for... skin.

nik_the_brief
30-06-2005, 09:52 AM
A friend of mine who made leather gear recommended Nivea cream for leathers. If it's good for your skin, it's good for... skin.

So taking that to it's logical conclusion Oil of Olay will make my leathers look youthful (perhaps even new). :cool:

Not sure if my theory ain't a load of Boswelox though (always thought there was one too many syllables in that made-up ingredient!!).

spacemonkey
30-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Tis true. I have used baby lotion to 'repair' water damaged fashion leathers for the bint with great success.