PDA

View Full Version : How to Store my 2004 620ie for 9 Months

datorr
26-06-2005, 02:40 PM
I am travelling for the next nine months and a friend has kindly offered to let me store my beloved in his (dry) garage.

What do I have to do to prepare the bike for inactivity for this period of time?

Any and all suggestions appreciated. A step-by-step checklist is what I want to end up with. I couldn't find a related thread in the how to history. Maybe noone in their right mind has ever voluntarily given up riding a Monster for 9 months!

psychlist
26-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Remove headlight, tail light, indicators and horn.
Add belly pan/catch tray, rearsets, clip ons, screen, race exhaust, K&N air filter, 14 tooth front sprocket, lockwire all sump fittings and then lend it to me until the end of September :twisted:

No?! :bunny:

tetol
26-06-2005, 07:11 PM
and i thought it was ck who was going to try that one :)

CK & AK
26-06-2005, 08:53 PM
and i thought it was ck who was going to try that one :)

:lol: bother, beaten to it this time then :twisted:

another one will be along soon....... ;)

datorr
28-06-2005, 05:24 PM
:cool: Would be taking it along for the trip if I could. Seriously folks. Looking for some help.

:(

datorr
28-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Don't think it hasn't occured to me to "trade it in" for an upgrade to be collected upon my return...... Don't think Mrs. T would be too happy about that though.

TP-996
28-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Don't think it hasn't occured to me to "trade it in" for an upgrade to be collected upon my return...... Don't think Mrs. T would be too happy about that though.

You know it makes sense.

I saw this thread and thought I'll offer to look after it if it's a 6 speed but it appears that all the DD racers bar Lin have beaten me to this thread!!!

Is it a 6 speed? I can give it top tens ...

PaulS
28-06-2005, 06:00 PM
I was wondering myself if anybody would give you some sensible advice! I don't have any experience myself of storing bikes but have seen the following things suggested before -

Clean the bike thoroughly. Jack the bike up so the tyres don't touch the ground. Spray WD40 over the electrics and parts liable to corrosion avoiding (obviously) brake parts (and tyres). Take the spark plugs out and pour a small amount of oil in to the cylinders and turn the engine over a couple of times to coat the bores. Put the plugs back in. Take the petrol tank off and swill it round with a mixture of petrol and oil to coat the inside then fill it with petrol. Connect an Optimate charger to the battery. Put a cover over it.

When you come back to the bike drain the petrol tank and fill with fresh petrol. Take the plugs out. Turn the engine over to blow out any excess oil left from the combustion chamber. Put new plugs in it to be on the safe side and hopefully it will start OK.

Something you should bare in mind is the cam belts. Apparently if the belts are left in one position for a long time (as far as I know nobody has defined how long "a long time" is but I would guess several months) they can adopt a set which can lead to premature failure with dire consequences for your valve gear. To avoid this you could replace the belts on your return or get someone to periodically turn the engine over (with the plugs removed). It wouldn't be a good idea to get someone to start the engine periodically without riding it. Hope this helps!

tetol
28-06-2005, 07:10 PM
sorry dattor hijacked your thread rather sound advice from paul s the only thing i would do different is drain fuel and run the engine to run it right out of fuel then take it to a dealer in a van on your return for a service before you ride it

datorr
29-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Much better. Thanks vmuch. Anything else anyone can think of would appreciate the advice.

LesPaul
29-06-2005, 09:19 AM
I'd do as above advice apart from I'd remove the battery and charge it up on your return rather than leave it on an optimate. A friend of mine had his battery cook when his optimate went faulty which would make a mess of your bike.

Think I'd be tempted to sell for a good price now put the money in a good savings account and look for a newer one or a S2r when I returned though to be honest, no worries about insurance and the expense of a belt change and service on your return then, just the excitment of looking for a nice monster :D

Darren

PaulS
29-06-2005, 12:36 PM
I'd do as above advice apart from I'd remove the battery and charge it up on your return rather than leave it on an optimate. A friend of mine had his battery cook when his optimate went faulty which would make a mess of your bike.

OK - remove the battery and then connect the Optimate at a safe distance from anything delicate. If lead acid batteries become deeply discharged then they don't tend to be the same again even after re-charging. The battery will last longer if it's "maintained" by an Optimate during long periods of inactivity.