PDA

View Full Version : M600 Starting problems

Grinch
26-06-2005, 08:59 AM
One more thing :D
The bike has started to become more difficult to start lately and tends to stall if I don't keep the rev's up. Even when the engines warm, the tick over seems fine, but what else should I be looking at.
Oh and you may need to take me step by step with where to look as I'm not completely familar with what and where all the bits are.

Thanks.
:moto:

MikeG
28-06-2005, 07:23 AM
Check Plugs, Air filter, sticking choke, to begin with. Belts OK? not flapping about? Service history?
But first and most likely would be plugs. Also plug leads! I had a problem with plug leads that were "past their best" and would short out against the engine, more noticeable in the wet. But worth checking. Simple check is to hold the cable when the bike is running, if it hurts then there is a short... Thats how I found the short anyway.....

Fosse Foxfight
28-06-2005, 08:27 AM
One more thing :D
The bike has started to become more difficult to start lately and tends to stall if I don't keep the rev's up. Even when the engines warm, the tick over seems fine, but what else should I be looking at.
Oh and you may need to take me step by step with where to look as I'm not completely familar with what and where all the bits are.

Thanks.
:moto:
Grinch....to be honest if you aint too familiar with bike maintenance youd be better of finding a service dude and get it sorted. I know it sounds a cop out but without the know how you could feck about for ages and get really frustrated. It sounds like your carbs need a once over and a new filter, maybe plugs, but you could have a few more problems....it'd be really useful to get a pro on it...then you can learn to keep on top of it.

cheers

nik_the_brief
28-06-2005, 09:06 AM
I agree with FF, get it properly serviced if it ain't just the obvious plugs problem.

It may well be your valve clearances though, some of them mayneed reshimming as that sounds like the symptoms mine was suffering from before I got them sorted.

It's certainly not a job for amateur spannermen (or spannerwomen just to be PC!)

Grinch
06-07-2005, 07:59 AM
I was thinking about see someone about the problem, though I just there might be something simple to look at. I will check the plugs though, maybe they are glazin. As if you leave it for a few day its a pain to start, but once started it fires up first time. Even the next morning.

MotoNik
06-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Have you tried starting it from cold without any choke? I've noticed on Emily's M600 that with the warmer (ish) weather recently it hardly needs any choke, if any to start. And if you leave it on the choke it gradually dies unless you rev it. But once it's warm it idles fine.

Try starting it with no choke and see if it's the same...

Also, I used to find with my M600 that it seemed a bit sensitive to the condition of the air filter. I used to replace the filter quite often, as it really seemed to help with the low speed running. Might be worth a try.

Good luck!

cheers,

Nik

Grinch
30-08-2005, 03:15 PM
turns out who ever had the bike before had messed around with the exhaust outlet and inlet, getting the spacings back-to-front. They also been playing with the factory set screws on the carb's so it looks like the bike has never run right. Its all in bits now getting sorted correctly....

A Yerbury
30-08-2005, 05:31 PM
maybe worthwhile having it on the dyno at the same time, although with carbs a good mechanic would do this as part of the dyagnostic.