PDA

View Full Version : Advice on living and biking in Switzerland please

Black Ferret
24-06-2005, 10:27 AM
I've come to realise that the UKMOC members are quite a worldly wise (well, experienced at least) lot and appear to have unplumed depths of knowledge. Is that enough flattery? And I'd appreciate some help and advice.

I'm considering a 12 month stint working in Switzerland in the lake Geneva area (the end nearest Italy :D ) and want to take my bike over...obviously. It's an S4R with high level Termis, PowerCommand, and open airbox. So far I've retained the cat. Am I going to have any problems with the Swiss authorities with noise, emissions etc? What's the law regarding how long I can use my UK licence and keep my UK plate whilst living over there? - hoping this will enable me get away with not having to do anything. Pitfalls? There're always pitfalls. I've found that experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Also any advice on general life and cost of living would be much appreciated.

Ta, Ferret

stef
24-06-2005, 10:46 AM
i cant tell if you will have troubles, with a foreign reg, but i can tell you that switzerland is pretty bad with big bikes and cars.. if my memory is right, the Vmax was restricted to about 50bhp for swiss people...
i have a friend who took his 1200 sportster there though, didnt have any trouble (on french plates)..

my guess is that you should be fine.

whatch the swiss though.. they have only one gear: neutral..
(it's the heat.)

mark cross
24-06-2005, 11:06 AM
mate was in switerland recently, got done for speeding. they are very tight over there, watch out.

Nonnie
24-06-2005, 11:22 AM
OK, can't help with the bike questions but general other stuff I might be able to. Nothing, absolutely nothing happens in Switzerland without a vote taking place on it. The people are accustomed to an absolute nanny state (trash out Wednesdays 5:45pm sort of thing). It's well pricey living there.
I have also found in my quite limited knowledge of Swiss people that they do not have a sense of humour.
Plus side is decent chocolate and you can expand your clock collection. Lake Geneva is beautiful and Switzerland is very very clean. And in Winter they're quite good at sorting the roads out so you can still get somewhere. And you're very close to Italy and if you get bored of all the rules and regulations you can skip off there and have a blast!
hth

JR
24-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Your best bet would be to live in France/Germany and commute into Geneva - as they are non EC you might have problems with residence permits etc. The paperwork for import/export into/thru Switzerland is a nightmare so I would imagine registering a vehicle would be just as the same. I spent yesterday in Geneva hanging around in the 94F heat whilst the customs processed bits of paper - not a favourite destination! They dont use the Euro as they are not in the EC - unlike all the surrounding countries - so currency is a bit of a niggle as well. As for food - arm and a leg, even in alleged truckers stops! Cant tell you the cost of fuel - never met anyone who has every had the bad luck to pay Swiss fuel prices!

JR

SAMMYE
24-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Had a friend who worked for KPMG she worked in Geneva for a few months worked long hours and found the place a bit boring to be honest

Fodder
24-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Chance of working abroad for a year, regardless of where it is, go for it as you only live once etc............. I know I would ;)
A) Keep the bike registered in the UK and just get appropriate insurance making sure Switzerland is covered (It's not gonna be your permanent residence right ;) or is a year classed as permanent?)
B) If it don't work out you can always come home and start again.
C) Alpine roads and skiing.
D) As has been said earlier, would it be possible to set up camp in a bordering EU country and commute the short distance daily?

Good luck

SimonH
25-06-2005, 09:03 AM
There are some issue about using a bike like yours in Switzerland. As already quoted they are not currently an EU country so have their own unique laws.

Noise regs in Switzerland are about the toughest in Europe. They quite often turn noisy bikes away at the border. Your S4, when standard, was fitted with Swiss-legal pipes, airbox ec. If you intend to keep the bike over there for a year then you will have to seriously consider at least meeting them halfway.
1) Can you fit baffles to your cans?
2) Can you fit an airbox lid?

You must understand that the Swiss as a nation pride themseles on being law-abiding. It is very likely that your neighbours will report you to the Gendarmerie if your bike is obviously noisy. If it's only a little bit noisy and you have a UK plate then they will not bother you.

You must be over 21 to ride a big bike in Switzerland.

I have a mate who lives near Geneva. He got so pissed off with the Swiss that in the end he moved to France and commutes daily to his office.

Cheers

SimonH

Black Ferret
25-06-2005, 11:41 AM
...to every one, some good advice and insights. Like the attitude Fodder, but still have a lot to consider - house half renovated (my one big tie), UK/Swiss tax (big niggle) etc. I'll have to look on the "what do you do thread" for an accountant who knows how to massage international tax laws without breaking them.

Didn't realise the Swiss were so clockwork. I thought that with boarders with France and Italy they may be like Germans but a little more laid back. How wrong can you get? Uptight (rules, regs and grassing up the neighbours) and humourless to boot. Not a good start.

But lots of good points, breathtaking scenery, roads (Italy, France - I'll have to behave in Switzerland) and mountains. I love mountains, :D :D treking, 'boarding, snow lots of snow :cool: Always wanted to go to Italy and it's on the door step.

Bike issues. Cool if I can use EU licence and plates for a year. Bike isn't that loud. More of a deeeep bassy growl. My mate's bandit's louder. But he knows when i'm behind him (just humouring him, you understand), he reckons he can feel the exhaust note rather than hear it. I've got all the standard bits anyway. Speed could be a problem, and I may have to take drastic action with myself. Hairshirts, self flagilation and a "slow down" mantra could be a good start. Sorry but just saying 'Ducati' causes me to grow horns.

Living in EU and comuting could be difficult. Company are sorting all the work permit type stuff. And I'm not sure how they're gonna pay me. They might not like the idea of paying a resident of an EU country. I'll deffinately check it out with them though.

Thanks again everyone. Plenty of food for thought.
Ferret