PDA

View Full Version : Clothing (or lack of it)

Runningman
24-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I know it's warmed up a bit, but I cannot believe how many people are riding around looking like they have just stepped of the beach.

I've seen shorts, flip flops, tee shirts & string vests, but best of all was the girl riding pillion this morning in a cotton summer dress, blowing everywhere. I looked around for the following Men and Motors film crew, but it seemed these two were for real.

Am I being a wuss for sticking to my leathers (literally) in this weather, or do you ride in swimwear too?

I'd be interested to hear your views.

Melnie Mouse
24-06-2005, 09:10 AM
I ride in my Kevlar Mesh trousers and lightweight jacket, summer boots, all my gear has armour in, and I like you CANNOT BELIEVE the people riding around with a letter from God like a guarantee for life!

Crazy crazy people...

If you don't have summer wear, try wearing an undersuit, it helps to slide your gear on and off and sticking to you...

The Kevlar Kid
24-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Each to their own I say...

Flip flops are probably a bit keen, but I see no problem with jeans and a T-shirt in this weather. Or even shorts for a short trip.

I've fallen off enough times to know that it hurts (Physically and mentally if you land hard enough), but my view has always been that I know the risk and adjust my riding accordingly (usually ;) ), that is to say slower, more carefully, less lean etc.

Would I rather crash at 100mph in leathers, or at 40 in jeans and a T-shirt?. Having crashed a pedal cycle during a race (in my younger years) at about 60mph (downhill), dressed in nothing but lycra, I think I can handle 40mph in jeans and a T-shirt.

Do you class full leathers, racing gloves and a £500 lid as overkill on a 50cc or a 125cc?

I always wear leather jacket and gloves when commuting though, M1 & M25 can be a bit hairy at times.

I guess I'm saying, dressing for your speed and riding style / mood for the day is most important, but if your not going to adjust how you ride, then safety gear is more important.

nik_the_brief
24-06-2005, 10:06 AM
I must be a wuss too them Martin, won't go anywhere unless in leathers, gloves etc. Hot as hell in stationary traffic but okay otherwise.

I seem to remember reading once that it takes less than 5 seconds to grind the flesh off your legs at 30mph on tarmac if you're sliding with your bike on top of ya!

Each to your own KK (as my granny says "You know your own know best") but I wouldn't risk it, I'm far too good looking to wanna disfigure myself! :D

Besides it's amazing the number of offers I get from young ladies with a twinkle in their eye suggesting I might need a little help to get out of those hot leathers! It's always good for the ego... :cool:

Tigerlily
24-06-2005, 10:17 AM
.....the tarmac always wins.

Coming off hurts enough without the added pain/disfigurement of gravel rash - I'll stick to my leathers thanks!

Each to their own though - I don't think leathers/protective clothing should be compulsory.

stef
24-06-2005, 10:34 AM
i only had a couple of spills some years ago, low speed..
got burned through the jeans, and suffered for months.
i cant give lessons, i just choose to wear leathers, because i am a wuss.
a spill can happen so quick (i was stationary on my first one ! got hit by a car)
and i havent had one for years, i must be due soon.

i can only say that you may be ok hitting the road in your shorts, but chances are, you wont..
hot weather=melted tyre gum on the road= very slippery when the first shower breaks.

mark cross
24-06-2005, 10:35 AM
I like to ride in my jeans when the weather allows (it rains a lot in my part of N.Ireland). No point in worrying too much about the falling off issue, you`d never leave the house if you considered all the potential dangers. Get out and enjoy your bike and look good while you do it!

MikeG
24-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Leathers all the time for me, yes I know its a pain and can be rather uncomfortable. Better that than trying to remove 100 yrds of chippings that are embedded in your ar5e.
Falling off a pushbike at 40 mph wearing lycra should teach anyone that tarmac and skin dont get on very well.
I am off the "stare in disbelief" that experienced riders will resort to vests and shorts as soon as the sun comes out.
AND... ever had a bee hit bare flesh at 70mph, they are supriningly painful! More so for them I guess... oops, sounds a bit pervy..

MrsJel
24-06-2005, 11:26 AM
I wear jeans if its a quick trip. Most of the time its either leather or touring gear.

But, today, I shall mostly be wearing VW, so I don't get wet.

DesmoDog
24-06-2005, 11:30 AM
well there you are then. I've just bought my first proper pair of boots and I bloody hate them. I wear a leather jacket, which looks nice, but is bloody hot. I always wear jeans. If it was legal, and it should be it's my head, I wouldn't wear a lid either - but there you go. Funny how many road bikers turn into superbike riders when you're not wrapped up in leather in 30 degrees on a run to the shops. Barely a nod.

MrsJel
24-06-2005, 11:36 AM
... Funny how many road bikers turn into superbike riders when you're not wrapped up in leather in 30 degrees on a run to the shops. Barely a nod.
You've noticed that too? Especially when I've got jeans AND open faced helmet on.

Julie
24-06-2005, 11:37 AM
I saw a chap on a 999 on monday in shorts, sandles and t-shirt.

Tho i do belive there is certain member of this forum who gets a 'buzz' from wearing her jeans on her monster, Ay mand?

The Kevlar Kid
24-06-2005, 11:44 AM
You've noticed that too? Especially when I've got jeans AND open faced helmet on.

Not just me then......

F**k 'em

The monster actually lends itself to a more casual form of dress don't you think.

Full leathers on a monster looks a bit tw*tish (therefore I am a tw*t most of the time - but you knew that already :D ).

Jeans, jacket and MX boots (as sported by our own Mr Runningman) sounds like a reasonable combination to me....

SteveSki
24-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Too right........Jeans, open leather jacket, boots and super blinged VR-7 lid......you hear me coming? or do you see me a mile off?

I agree totally.....you wanna go out for a "spirited" summer ride, wear your leathers, if you just wanna cruise and have that "two miles an hour so everybody see's you" attitude, do what you feel....... :cool:

I personally (as you may have guessed) don't give a flying about what others think.....I like to still grasp on to the few actual decisions I CAN MAKE ABOUT WHAT I WANT TO DO without being nicked, discredited or told "you'll regret it"....

Contrary? damn straight I am........ :burnout:

Mand
24-06-2005, 12:35 PM
I saw a chap on a 999 on monday in shorts, sandles and t-shirt.

Tho i do belive there is certain member of this forum who gets a 'buzz' from wearing her jeans on her monster, Ay mand?

Mmmm if it hadn't have been so bloody hot on Sunday, I would have ridden a for miles and miles!!! :lol:

mad_turnips
24-06-2005, 12:47 PM
for every inch of tarmac you slid down you lose 5 inches of skin ( you should see the faces of the kids i tell that to just before i start the CBT )

but i too in summer for a short trip use boots jeans and jkt denin is tested to the same standards as leather and in low speed is comparable

also i got my bro some combats that have nox armour in them for this very weather

MilesB
24-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Kevlar skin is back in fashion... :lol:

Each to their own, but skin is fragile stuff - and it's what hold me together... I therefore regard it a precious.
If I go out on the bike in this weather (and TBH, when it's this hot - I'd rather not actually) then I wear :
1) ventilated jacket with elbow, shoulder and back protection
2) aramid (kevlar) lined jeans with knee and hip armour
3) open face (but full visor) helmet
3) leather gloves

Looks OK :cool: - just remember the sun cream on the face - otherwise the tan is interesting :lol:

I know I won't live for ever, but I'm gonna give it a go anyway.

Miles

Runningman
24-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, it seems the protection racket is winning at the moment.
I am suprised by the line of thought that riding to the shops is inherently different from riding to work. Do the other road users know where your going, I ask myself?
As for looking cool...have you seen me in my leathers?
r

Ps Kevlar...ever thought of changing your forum name to the cotton kid?

The Kevlar Kid
24-06-2005, 04:05 PM
I am suprised by the line of thought that riding to the shops is inherently different from riding to work. Do the other road users know where your going, I ask myself?
Ps Kevlar...ever thought of changing your forum name to the cotton kid?

I think the 'short trip' element is more to do with the reduction in risk e.g. the probability in coming off on a 10 min ride as opposed to the probability in comming off on a 30 minute ride (I find my self control of the right hand also diminishes proportionately to the length of journey).

As with anything to do with bikes, it's a case of 'ride for yourself' if you feel appropriately dressed for your speed and circumstances, and your legal, then thats cool. Deriding others (one way or the other) is a bit poitless.

As it happens, I probably spend 95% of the year in leather (kinky ;) ) It's only on these really nice days that I wear anything else. Rideouts and stuff I'm always in leather as I can't dictate my own leasurely pace.

Let others do their own thing.

As for the 'Cotton Kid' Martin :lol: , I got 'given' my name for a completely different reason, it's nothing to do with bikes or motorcycle clothing (My avatar is a clue :D ).

Ride safe - however you do it......

A Yerbury
24-06-2005, 06:00 PM
hmm I tend to wear short sleeve shirts and an open lid in this weather? A bad habit from living in hot countries but full on leathers and closed lid in 90 degrees seems pretty daft too.

Alex.

Paranoid Dave
24-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Strange, they say its very common to have an accident within a few miles of your home, either getting settled into a ride or not paying attention as that "aah home now" feeling comes over you as you see a familiar road name.
When on the bike i will always wear the jacket, usually leather but if its wet or very hot then an all weather one with armour and removable lining. Helmet is full face and I've never ridden without gloves. Even if i'm only going a couple of miles i still put my boots on for ancle support but I must confess that if i'm only doing a few miles in town or off to a friend then i wear jeans but thats because i dont have a car and i dont want to go round a friends for 5 hours and sit dressed in leather. Any time i go for a ride for pleasure then on go leather trousers, regardless of heat. +30 degrees and i'm still in full leather and a full face lid and won't do it any other way, i value my skin.
Dave

gary tompkins
24-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Came off my restricted moped when I was 16 in a pair of Levis and bomber jacket. Slid on the deck for about 30 feet behind the bike, and wore a nice hole in my right hip which took nearly a month to heal properly.

Even though I was on just £30 a week as an apprentice, I saved like buggery until I could afford my first pukka leather bike jacket and a set of padded jeans. Case of once bitten....

After my big off in 1983, I was told by the hospital that it was almost certain the fact that I was wearing a decent set of leathers & bike boots, which saved me from having my foot torn off at the scene. Although I ultimately lost the leg below knee a few weeks later, the consequences of a severed ankle at the roadside could have been fatal.

little devil
24-06-2005, 10:03 PM
I also wear full leathers, full face helmet and more importantly gloves, wherever I go, no matter what the weather.

I shiver everytime I see bikers in shorts ect and no gloves. Whats the first thing you put down when you full over or off, your hands!!!!!

I may not have the best body in the world or be the best looking girl by a long shot, but I do like my skin!

Safe biking all, no matter what your choice of protection.

Heather

Terence
24-06-2005, 10:14 PM
xxxxxxxxxx

Runningman
25-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Can't they grow new skin in the lab these days though? Perhaps losing yours for a bit is not such a problem as it used to be?

Growing a new foot could take a lttle more time.

brewhaha
25-06-2005, 09:52 PM
I always use protection ;)

gary tompkins
25-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Growing a new foot could take a lttle more time.

I did try but found the bag of potting compost hanging from the leg of my shorts started to attract stares :o

Terence
26-06-2005, 11:45 PM
xxxxxxxxxx

bod
27-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Surely the point here is protection,tarmac is suposed to provide grip(if not all roads would be silky smooth)
Leather dosn't protect you form other bikes/car's or street furniture but I would rather slide down the road it in a set of leathers than owt else.

Shandy
27-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Its leathers all the time for me, you never know whats going to happen on a 1 minute or 1 hour ride. It makes me cringe every time i see someone on a bike or even a scooter in shorts, t-shirt and trainers don't they realise that tarmac acts like a cheese gratter to skin :eek: !

DesmoDog
27-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Oi Kevlar, are you out of 2000AD? How's tharg?

SteveSki
27-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Now with 2000AD, is that the one where he has all these different personalities
downloaded into his head??

marchesini
27-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Leather or the train for me at the moment. As my Monnie is being fiddled with, I have taken to commuting on the 996. The riding position is fine but it's the heat thrown up by the underseat pipes and inside the fairing that puts me off riding in this weather - oh, and I have a small leak in the coolant tank which has a temporary duck tape repair (very classy - it'll be estate agent boards, open face-lids with roll-ups hanging from my bottom lip next).

When it does get too much for full leathers, I combine my leather trousers with the motocross body armour thing topped off with a perforated motocross top - very Miami Dolphins. Has an integrated back protector and protection pads on the shoulders, elbows, forearms and chest all held together in some Right Said Fred mesh arrangement. I guess if I went down (oh err missus), then the pointy bits would scrape first - elbows, knees, hands etc and that would be covered by something or other.

Laters all

simon

MilesB
27-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Can't they grow new skin in the lab these days though? Perhaps losing yours for a bit is not such a problem as it used to be?
Growing new skin is not the issue - it's the fact that our skin is what separates us from the outside world... It don't look like much, but it does a very important job - it quite literally holds us all together. The human body leaks quite badly without it :( .

And call me a 'big girly wuss' if you like :p , but I hear that loosing a large area of skin hurts big time - even if you are lucky enough to do no further damage.

Remember, roads have to be hard and grippy or they just don't work :rolleyes:

MilesB
27-06-2005, 10:32 AM
As for the 'Cotton Kid' Martin :lol: , I got 'given' my name for a completely different reason, it's nothing to do with bikes or motorcycle clothing (My avatar is a clue :D ).
You are 'Rogue Trooper' and I claim my 5 shillings :D :D

(Is it 'cos you've got blue skin and a mohican?? :eek: )

DesmoDog
27-06-2005, 10:40 AM

No they were on biochips that went into his helmet, backpack (had to be the most boring) and rifle. Rogue trooper - thats the boy. On a mission to find the brass that deserted him and his boys. don't know why that hasn't made it to film. Isn't mylo strange?

bigredduke
27-06-2005, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=MilesB]Growing new skin is not the issue - it's the fact that our skin is what separates us from the outside world... It don't look like much, but it does a very important job - it quite literally holds us all together. The human body leaks quite badly without it :( .

Did you know that the skin is the body's biggest organ?
I'm sure that might be some members disputing this fact! :lol:

The Kevlar Kid
27-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Oi Kevlar, are you out of 2000AD? How's tharg?

Currently shafting Strontium Dog :D

The Kevlar Kid
27-06-2005, 11:03 AM

He has all his buddies as 'chips' set into various parts of his armoury (but I think we're getting a little off topic here...

The Kevlar Kid
27-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Is it 'cos you've got blue skin and a mohican?? :eek:

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D

gary tompkins
27-06-2005, 12:36 PM
...don't they realise that tarmac acts like a cheese gratter to skin :eek: !

They will when they fall off - unfortunately human nature dictates that an awful lot of idiots have to learn the hard and painfull way :rolleyes:

Flip flops and shorts my ARSE :mad:

Anyway I couldn't wear flip flops on my left foot due to having no toes as such. Suppose I could just gaffer tape/super glue/nail it on - but it would get some funny looks at Mallory :D

paul620sie
27-06-2005, 12:41 PM
They will when they fall off - unfortunately human nature dictates that an awful lot of idiots have to learn the hard and painfull way :rolleyes:

A sort of natural selection process?

The Kevlar Kid
27-06-2005, 12:48 PM

Thanks for reffering to me as an idiot - don't worry I wont take it personally (much ;) )

I've learnt the hard and painfull way and still do it.... does that make me an even bigger idiot

However, after listening to all my learned peers, from now on I will dress appropriately, including the following:

Top of the range Arai, with an oversize hockey mask worn over the top.
A box and set of pads (of the cricket variety).
Full length leather boots with a set of tassled overchaps and water cushioned ankle support.
That geezer from Cameo's red cod piece
Head to toe flourescent baby-gro with reflective daisy's (in pink).
A bomb-squad type protective jacket (the type they use when de-activating devices at close range).
Fifteen pairs of gloves.
& the wire basket part of a Tesco's shopping trolley...

My buttocks will however remain totally 'al-fresco' as I will front weight everything to ensure I land face down :D ....

Can we stop all the holier than thou sh1t now please....

Our choices is what makes us individuals after all...

Peace.

MikeG
27-06-2005, 12:55 PM
However, after listening to all my learned peers, from now on I will dress appropriately.....

However one could always resort to the Volvo..... :) :) :) :)

gary tompkins
27-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Can we stop all the holier than thou sh1t now please....

Peace.

Try telling that to the poor sods in A&E that have to scrub (literally) the tarmac & road ****e out of raw skin to stop you getting gangrene.

I have personally met several bikers that have lost limbs due to infected gravel rash injuries - one of them was just 16 when he had his prang on a moped, and lost his right leg above knee.

The Kevlar Kid
27-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Try telling that to the poor sods in A&E that have to scrub (literally) the tarmac & road ****e out of raw skin to stop you getting gangrene.

I have personally met several bikers that have lost limbs due to infected gravel rash injuries - one of them was just 16 when he had his prang on a moped, and lost his right leg above knee.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything you say, I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's not my point...

I ride a bike because I enjoy it. I enjoy going slowly with less clothing on (oo-er) as much as I enjoy going fast dressed up like robo-cop.

However - I don't particulally enjoy riding slowly dressed like robo-cop. I accept that sh1t happens and I know how it can end up. My choice.

When I stop enjoying it, I'll stop doing it.

Just because you have one point of view (as a result of an unfortunate experience perhaps) it doesn't make it right for everyone.

More sensible, more safe & better protected it may be, that's cool.

Not all of us want to be wrapped in cotton wool though, some would rather live how they want to live and take their chances and that should be cool too.

I don't impose my sh1t on you, don't try and impose yours on me.

My comment stands.

DesmoDog
27-06-2005, 01:17 PM
I sense an ever decreasing circle developing. Agree to differ chaps, you know it makes sense. I have a Volvo, its not as cool as my monnie though. In fact it's not cool at all, but it does have alloy wheels - does that count?

MilesB
27-06-2005, 01:25 PM
I have a Volvo, its not as cool as my monnie though. In fact it's not cool at all, but it does have alloy wheels - does that count?
What type is it - Volvo's can be cool :rolleyes: ... After all, they had to change the saloon car race rules to stop Volvo's winning :lol: - and that was because the Volvo's were big boxy estate's. They are honest cars - designed to carry a load - they designed it right.

Volvo P1800 - driven by 'The Saint' :cool:
The 480 coupe's were cool too - looked like a Lotus built by Landrover :D

Volvo's only became uncool again when Ford's "blandness engineering department" got hold of them :( - and forced them to build an SUV despite Volvo not wanting too - they already had the Cross County which does everything anyone ever needs.

The Kevlar Kid
27-06-2005, 01:37 PM
I sense an ever decreasing circle developing. Agree to differ chaps, you know it makes sense. I have a Volvo, its not as cool as my monnie though. In fact it's not cool at all, but it does have alloy wheels - does that count?

My comments show that I do agree to differ don't they???

I love a good argument...

Hmmmm..... Volvo with alloys - could be as cool as cool and the gang. Is it slammed with the rear given up for a nice ICE install??

DesmoDog
27-06-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm not getting into this - it is lowered though. No ICE.

bignj
27-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm one for not going out in less than boots, sturdy jeans, m/c jacket and gloves, but after the heatwave the other weekend I decided to investigate cooler ways of riding without melting at trafficlights.

www.hoodjeans.co.uk

All products lined with Aramid. Jeans and jackets have the option of fitting Knox armour to the usual places and jackets can be fitted with back protector aswell.

Best of all they are British

gary tompkins
27-06-2005, 05:27 PM
My comments show that I do agree to differ don't they???
I love a good argument...
In the immortal words of Monty Python... is this the right room for an argument??? :lol:

In that case KK I'll agree to disagree too - and move on ;)

GT - leathered up and loving it (if a little sweaty)

SazzaG
27-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Worth a try Gary, but I was talking to a guy last year who had lost a foot and he talked about stem cell research and believed that he would be able to grow a new one before too long. There's been some announcements this year on the subject and a lot of people believe it's only time before dreams are reality. Good stuff.

I've just spent the last few days at a big stem cell research conference (my company makes instruments that are used in research), and believe me, growing new feet, etc. is a very long way off.

Don't believe everything you read in the papers, especially when it comes to medical breakthroughs.

As for the clothing argument, I suppose it is a case of each to their own, but I always wear boots, jacket, gloves, helmet, and occasionally jeans instead of leathers.

In Colorado (where I sometimes work), there is no law for helmets. Scares the crap out of me seeing guys on R1's, wearing shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops, and nothing else! Anyway, doesn't it hurt changing up through the gears with flip-flops on?

Saz

Terence
27-06-2005, 06:15 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CK & AK
28-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Try looking at the pictures - and the write up on first post on this link

http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212266

SAMMYE
28-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Probably so Saz, but growing organs will happen sometime so it's not pure fantasy.

My organ grew last night

MilesB
28-06-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm one for not going out in less than boots, sturdy jeans, m/c jacket and gloves, but after the heatwave the other weekend I decided to investigate cooler ways of riding without melting at trafficlights.
www.hoodjeans.co.uk
All products lined with Aramid. Jeans and jackets have the option of fitting Knox armour to the usual places and jackets can be fitted with back protector aswell.
Best of all they are British
I use Hood jeans with Hein Gerrick Hi-protec rubber armour at knees and hips - looks like you are wearing 'ordinary jeans' :cool:
However, the Aramid lining can get a bit sticky when it is really hot and you are standing around in the sun - but once underway they are bliss :)