PDA

View Full Version : Monster oil cooler wanted

rattler
23-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi
I'm after an oil cooler and fitting kit for my 620ie - anyone got one or know of one for sale?

Also, how easy will it be to fit the one from say an S4 to the 620?

Thanks
Tim

JMo
23-06-2005, 01:19 PM
S4 doesn't come with an oil cooler (S4R does though)...

Thing with the factory coolers, is they come with a new valve cover for the front piston, with an integral bracket to hold the cooler - for a 620 (or any IE model), you need the correct one so the temp sensor fits in etc etc.

However, you could perhaps fit a cooler from an M600, using the bracket on the lower valve cover (ie upside down) as this doesn't have the sensor - although it might stick out at an odd angle, and foul the front wheel on full travel?

Otherwise, you can buy universal oil coolers from around £40 (Demon Tweeks etc.), get the hoses made up to suit, and fabricate you own bracket to mount it where you like - if it's a race bike, I think that would be your best option...

xxx

BTW. There was a bike at the Monster Trackday that had two aftermarket oil coolers fitted - hey hey!

A Yerbury
23-06-2005, 07:01 PM
oil cooler from an m600???!! mine must have fallen orf...as the attractive, charming lady says an aftermarket one won't have the sensor socket but who really needs that?

Alex.

slob
23-06-2005, 07:11 PM
S4R cooler is sexy and curved, it has different mountings as it hangs below the (four valve) head. Also it has a takeoff going to the head which would need blocking with a bolt.

JMo
23-06-2005, 07:32 PM
oil cooler from an m600???!! mine must have fallen orf...as the attractive, charming lady says an aftermarket one won't have the sensor socket but who really needs that?

Alex.

What I meant was there is a DP kit available for the M600 - which is likely to be cheaper than the one for the M620, especially if there is one kicking around in stock somewhere...

As for the sensor socket - if you are going to mount the oil cooler in the factory position, then you need the correct valve cover plate for the EFi engine otherwise, where would you put your sensor dahling?!

xxx

A Yerbury
23-06-2005, 08:05 PM
ohh you've gone all technical on me, I love it when you do this! If only all lifes wisdom were emitted from such a sultry source. So yeah, basically do what Jmo says, I would, for all eternity and maybe a bit of the following week.
Benito.

JMo
23-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Ben dahling - were your tongue any more smooth we could use it as a slide...

I'm sure you don't care too much about oil coolers, I simply feel it my duty to pass on my wisdom (and hours of nerdy parts cross-referencing and my local dealer) to anyone who wishes to benefit from such toil...

xxx

A Yerbury
23-06-2005, 09:51 PM
..actually I have neither the words nor the exclamation marks to do justice to these mental snapshots! a lesser man would use a smiley...I am overcome! cher Jen I will leave you to fill in the gaps, linguistic or otherwise.

Getting back to non innuendo land do the iemonsters have some pc wizardry which inhibits things when the circuit is broken? ie (no pun) an oil temp gauge?

Ben t double like old hags etc

JMo
23-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Getting back to non innuendo land do the iemonsters have some pc wizardry which inhibits things when the circuit is broken? ie (no pun) an oil temp gauge?

Yes - on top of the forward facing cylinder there is a sensor thingy that looks a bit like a second sparkplug (an M1000 of course does have a second sparkplug, but that is on the side, through the belt cover)...

It is something to do with the oil temp and/or pressure, and would imagine the EFi would have a small fit and go and lie down in the shade somewhere, were you to try and run the bike without it...

xxx

A Yerbury
23-06-2005, 10:58 PM
I forsee a world in which the bedroom and garage merge..Dire Straits set to volume "background", 2 healthy bodies, a counterpane awash with poetry, dyno charts, technical data and busters catalogues.....

Ben Folds 5.

CK & AK
24-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Back to the topic....

Rattler, bit late in the day - but ask Stu at Spareshack for the DP one, it might not be as much as you think ;)

Alan is happy to help fit one if you need assistance, shouldnt take too long for your bike :)

C