PDA

View Full Version : Ohlins (DU333) on S4R

palooka
23-06-2005, 05:03 AM
I'm pondering whether to get an Ohlins unit for my S4R. The recommended unit is a DU333 which comes with 2 remote resevoirs. The preload one has as it's recommended mounting point the inside of one of the pillion peg hangers. This I am OK with because it doesn't look too intrusive. But the other is recommended to be snaked out along the right hand side frame rail and tied to the rail under the petrol tank. I do not like the look of this and definitely don't want to add to the piping clutter that the bike already has.
Has anyone managed to mount this in a less visually obtrusive place?

I would be keen to hear.

Cheers
Palooka

Pedro
23-06-2005, 06:40 AM
I have an 888 fully adjustable show on my 900 and had to use the frame rails just above the clutch to mount the reservoir as there's little room elsewhere. Can't think of any space anywhere else......

NattyBoy
23-06-2005, 07:33 AM
You need to PM Marchesini as hes got that unit fitted to his S4R and I dont remember seeing a remote reservoir on his front frame..?

Cheers
Nat

marchesini
26-06-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm pondering whether to get an Ohlins unit for my S4R. The recommended unit is a DU333 which comes with 2 remote resevoirs. The preload one has as it's recommended mounting point the inside of one of the pillion peg hangers. This I am OK with because it doesn't look too intrusive. But the other is recommended to be snaked out along the right hand side frame rail and tied to the rail under the petrol tank. I do not like the look of this and definitely don't want to add to the piping clutter that the bike already has.

Didn't know there were recommended places but then again I don't know much about much at all. Both the remote reservoirs were mounted on the rear of frame underneath the seat. One was mounted where the exhaust hangers were (exhausts changed) and the other was cable tied to the other side of the frame. The pillion handles were also cut off the frame which allowed for a bit more room. See here:

http://www.simonvicki.co.uk/wheels_pages/_s4r_pages/S4r_stage_5.html

These may not be the final mounting points but it at least gives you some options.

HTH

Best regards

simon

BTW, do you know the FIM Ultimap guys? They are down your neck of the woods - I'm getting conflicting info on S4R chips from various people and wanted to know if they are helpful guys to deal with.

palooka
27-06-2005, 06:41 AM
BTW, do you know the FIM Ultimap guys? They are down your neck of the woods - I'm getting conflicting info on S4R chips from various people and wanted to know if they are helpful guys to deal with.

Thanks for the info. I need to have a sit and ponder with bike in front of me to figure out what option there are with mounting. I'm wondering if room can be made under the seat (maybe with a modified upper mudguard).
At the end of the day I may just take the bike down to the local RaceTech technition and get a sorted custom setup.

I have never had any personal experience with the Ultimap people. They seem to operate via word of mouth more than anything. What I have heard has been positive but take that with a grain of salt. You may want to talk to someone reputable like Sigma Performance over your way or even Vee Two over my way in terms of getting a reference for the Ultimap boys.
They are located in a quiet seaside town about 2.5 hours west of Melbourne which has little to put it on the map. It is however a logical stopping point along the Great Ocean Road, which you may have heard of.

Here's their website http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Palooka

slob
27-06-2005, 07:13 AM

I would be keen to hear.

Cheers
Palooka

Tetol's (gorgeous) race bike has the preload unit behind the footrest and the other by the grab handle on the r/h rear subframe. Although he has a challenge seat hump which comes down a little further than a standard cowl, it may still be worth trying.