PDA

View Full Version : Superbike School

rsf1217
21-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Has anyone taken one of the Superbikeschools on their Duc?
http://www.superbikeschool.co.uk/uk/ssl/

How was it?

I am thinking of signing up.....

I will also need to buy some boots as I dont have a pair.... Any recomendations on good track boots that are not too expensive?

Any good places in London or online to get a good deal?

Thnx

Phoenix
21-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Sidi Vertebra boots - ebay your best bet.

Both CSS and ESS have fairly good rep's but each teaches differently.
Enjoy.

marchesini
22-06-2005, 01:06 AM

How was it?

I am thinking of signing up.....

I did a two day course at Rockingham with ESS (European Superbike School) which has Niall MacKenzie and Frankie Chilli as instructors. I managed to keep up with Niall for a whole half straight until the next corner and after that I'm sure he had some kind of brake failure as he didn't seem to use them much which would explain why he managed to pull away so easily. And I had a bit of a cold, yeah that's why....

Seriously though, the two day school was really good as it meant the first day was really about getting to know the track and trying to soak up as much info as possible without having to go too crazy. The second day was an open session where you could just get instructors as you needed them. Thoroughly enjoyed it - very approachable guys who you could ask anything - I really wanted to get my knee down so the instructor followed me and was really encouraging me what to do even though he most probably thought 'not another one!' As it happens, I managed to and at the end of day two, the toe was going down aswell so Rockingham has fond memories for me.

CSS (I've heard) is not for everybody. Some people rate it and others (including some racers) think it's a lot of new age rubbish. It's very much based on modules whereby you have to start at the beginning regardless of expereience you have. Not sure how many modules there are (6 or more)but at over £300 a go, it adds up to a lot of cash to get to the higher levels. Bear in mind that in the early stages, it's very structured with a lot of drill work i.e. riding round the track in a single gear or riding without using the brakes. Don't get me wrong as I'm sure it teaches you something but for 300 notes , I'd like to have at least a bit of a blast round the track.

As I said, it's not for everybody and unless you intend to do all the modules, I would guess not to bother as it only begins to come together in the later stages (or so I've heard). For me, my £300 would buy a 2/3 days of tracktime in the south of france and I would have a much better time. I'm not intending to go racing anytime soon so am much more interested in having a good time and getter better by riding more tracks.

I will also need to buy some boots as I dont have a pair.... Any recomendations on good track boots that are not too expensive?

Any good places in London or online to get a good deal?

Thnx

Make sure you try them on as they are very important on a track bike as you will spend a lot of time on your toes. Different makes also fit differently, Alpinestars used to be for very narrow feet but aren't so bad now. My guess if money is the issue would be to visit Hein Gericke as they seem to sell some very good VFM clobber.

Personally, Alpinestars are the only thing for me dahling.

Hope this helps

simon

marchesini
22-06-2005, 01:09 AM

One other thing is that if you are thinking of doing it on your M900, then low level cans and the standard rearsets will not have enough ground clearance.

Good luck

simon

rsf1217
22-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Good point on the footpegs and cans.....Didnt think of that!

I found something online, which sounds interesting...Ron Haslam Race School.
It includes the bike, leather, boot rental and a half day on the track...

http://www.haslamraceschool.com/

Any one hear anything about this one??

marchesini
22-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Good point on the footpegs and cans.....Didnt think of that!

http://www.haslamraceschool.com/

There was an article on his school in Bike or MCN recently. They thought it was really good training but not enough track time (is there ever enough track time?) It might be worth it if you have never been on a track to do something like this and then book some track days. I seem to recall some organisers do special novice only days where you could practice what you has learnt at a race school.

Personally, I think that with all the theory in the world, there is no substitute for quality track time.

HTH

simon

craigie
22-06-2005, 06:26 PM

I know a couple of people who did this recently and rated it but you get very little track time, I think both of them had enough time to scare themselves though.

The No Limits boys will teach on their days on a normal trackday so that could be just as good....

rsf1217
23-06-2005, 07:59 AM
I am new out here........Who are the No Limits boys?

slob
23-06-2005, 08:15 AM
I am new out here........Who are the No Limits boys?
HTTP://WWW.NOLIMITSTRACKDAYS.COM
They are the people who run the annual monster trackday.
A few of us are doing the one at Lydden in Kent on 20th August (not monster only).