PDA

View Full Version : What base layer do you use?

palooka
19-06-2005, 04:15 AM
I am looking for a base layer of clothing to wear under leathers (one piece and jacket) and was looking for advice. I am after something that breathes, keeps the wind out (my leathers are perforated), keeps me warm and is not too thick.
What brands have people had experience with?

Cheers
Palooka

Yorkie
19-06-2005, 06:40 AM
I use Helly Hanson Lifa tops, during the colder weather. Quite warm and they wick the sweat away as well, that is if you do sweat! They cost about £24 and you can get them in long sleave or shorter sleave versions!!!! ......... Yorkie.

Yorkie
19-06-2005, 06:41 AM
You can also get Helly Hanson bottoms!!! ........ Yorkie.

gary tompkins
19-06-2005, 08:04 AM
I use a Hanson top and leggings as well - top gear. Thinking of investing in some Knox cold killers gear later this year, already use the scarf and its best one i've ever bought.

JMo
19-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Chanel No.5 dahling - it's far too hot for anything else this time of year...

xxx

Nonnie
19-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Cold Killers!

They keep out the wind, they're waterproof yet comfy and wash up a dream.

Long sleeve top £40

Don't know how much the bottoms are.

Not cheap but very good.

:)

MrsJel
19-06-2005, 12:22 PM
All-sorts - I really feel the cold (ah).

M&S thermals really useful under touring gear, Berghaus wickable top (walking gear is good for the bike as its mostly lightweight layers) & an Oxford Windstopper thing.

And then there's the mid-layer ... but I might do without that today

nik_the_brief
19-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Calvin Klein boxers and a big grin. Nowt else this time of the year!! :cool:

In the winter it's all about layering though (and a good ripstop waterproof overjacket). Only my hands and feet get cold that way.

A Yerbury
19-06-2005, 02:07 PM
christian dior base layer, blended in carefully. other than that its commando time at all times unless very nippy in which case silk tight things....how fascinating.

Alex.

A Yerbury
19-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Chanel No.5 dahling - it's far too hot for anything else this time of year...

xxx

Perhaps a photograph to demonstrate please?

Affectionately yours etc etc.
Alex.

palooka
20-06-2005, 04:30 AM
I know winter is but a distant memory for most of you, but not for us in the southern hemisphere :rolleyes:

Has anyone tried EDZ base layers? I have heard good reviews but I'm wary that they have been paid endorsements.

Cheers
Palooka

slob
20-06-2005, 06:49 AM
I know winter is but a distant memory for most of you, but not for us in the southern hemisphere

15-20C hardly counts as Winter to us thick blooded Nothern Hemisphericals mate. I'd have thought almost any kind of undersuit would be fine at those temperatures. Nip over in Febuary when it's -2C here, it'll seem so warm when you get home.
I use Helly Hanson or Peter Storm when it gets below 5 degrees.

Plum
20-06-2005, 10:45 AM
In the winter, i have a pair of the wife leggings....dont laugh! Its bloody cheap and does the trick. Top half is a light thermal vest,t-shirt and fleece. I am cumfy and warm.....just wish i could do the same with my hands.......really need a pair of good gloves

Mand
20-06-2005, 12:58 PM
In the winter, i have a pair of the wife leggings....dont laugh! Its bloody cheap and does the trick. Top half is a light thermal vest,t-shirt and fleece. I am cumfy and warm.....just wish i could do the same with my hands.......really need a pair of good gloves

Aha! Plum! What you need is a pair of Hein Geriche "trotter" gloves. I ride throughout the year and they are the nicest, warmest, gloves ever - you just look like a freak instead. :p

As for base layers, wearing "layers" is the secret to keep warm. M&S long johns are a god send too.

Phew! With this heatwave, I'm getting all hot just thinking about it. :(

Fosse Foxfight
24-06-2005, 01:38 PM
If youre looking for something that will keep you snug in winter in terms of windproof and comfortable in summer too then look for Pertex based products. The best known of these is Buffalo http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/ they do a stock pertex "shirt" or fleece lined shirts for extra warmth. Infinity Motorcycles do a nice "climate control" shirt which I think uses Pertex as well http://tinyurl.com/9cs4v, but as your in Convictland you should maybe just look for Pertex based products by local manufacturers stuff, its excellent in cold and warm weather.

ta ra