PDA

View Full Version : what size and make of tyres??

hornet_basher
16-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Looks like I might of found myself a v late 98 carb'ed m900 :)
Going to have a look at it on Sat morning.

Been told the tyres are pretty squared off, so want to start getting quotes for replacements if I buy it.

Some what size tyres am I looking for and does anything in particular work well on on 900 monsters??

Also who does the best tyre prices pref in Swindon or wiltshire area.

Cheers
basher

Tigerlily
16-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Pirelli Diablo's are popular, (Phoenix uses them for racing so they must be good!).

M & P are doing a deal on sets of tyres at the mo' so it might be worth having a look on their website.

I'll check the sizes for you and post again.

PaulS
16-06-2005, 03:58 PM
The standard sizes are 120/70 ZR17 and 170/60 ZR17. Some people fit a 180/55 to the rear but you may find this slows the steering a bit. As Tigerlilly said the Diablos are popular. The other favourite seems to be Bridgestone BT010s, sometimes with a BT020 on the rear if you do a lot of motorway riding as it's a bit harder and won't wear as quickly.

hornet_basher
16-06-2005, 04:04 PM
thanks all,

Just got to find some prices now

cheers

welshman
16-06-2005, 04:30 PM
just be threw this myself

Pirelli Diablo's without question , ued them on the track day & they were very good

i paid £170 fitted

rob racing in stratford

john

Pedro
16-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Diablos!!!

Have also used D207 Dunlops but the Diablos are better.

Probably best to avoid Michelin Pilots, never heard a good word about them.......

Ped

norrie
16-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Bridgestone 020's.
I find they last long and grip really well. :)
I would only go for something softer if you are a bit of a nutter. :eek:
I paid just under £200 fitted.

Norrie.

Phoenix
17-06-2005, 07:31 AM
Diablos without question. Try Mike at robsom racing - link in my sig below :)

hornet_basher
17-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Thanks All,

So if I got some tyres mail order would the local tyre place be a bit miffed and sting me for fitting them? or is it better to get tyres and fitting done locally ?

Scotty
17-06-2005, 09:17 AM
humm my local will sting you a little bit
up from £5 to £7.50 per loose wheel

Fosse Foxfight
17-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Looks like I might of found myself a v late 98 carb'ed m900 :)
Going to have a look at it on Sat morning.

Been told the tyres are pretty squared off, so want to start getting quotes for replacements if I buy it.

Some what size tyres am I looking for and does anything in particular work well on on 900 monsters??

Also who does the best tyre prices pref in Swindon or wiltshire area.

Cheers
basher
DONT use Dunlops......just not right for the Monster at all. Speak to the blokes at Maxton and they'll tell you why.
Hmmmm, Pirelli Diablos are good, but to be honest you'll find the Bridgestones suit the bike even better....I know everyone is on about BT10s and 20 but they are...how shall we say it for the more powered bikes...Blades and ZX10 you know the 100bhp+ bikes and to be honest are a waste of money on a 70-80bhp machine. But if ya can find a set of BT56s they were an original fitment for Monsters and they are the stock tyre for the Hayabusa as well. You can get a pair for around 110-120 if you shop around........aaaaah just checked Superbike Tyres who have a place in Witney and Abingdon both near you....theyre doing a front 120/70 for £35 quid at the moment and if you ring em up they should be able to get you a rear as well. The BT56 is a good tyre from cold as well.
And FWR (http://www.fwr.co.uk/clearance.htm) are doing a rear 170/60 for 60 quid so there ya go a pair for 95 quid...even with postage from both youll clear £110 for a good set of tyres, youll find most place will fit a loose wheel for a tenner.

http://www.superbiketyres.com/

Also its more difficult getting a deal on bt010 020s and Diablos as everybody wants em.
Look at the manager specials.
Good place anyway, give em a ring and see what they can do for you..

ta ra

hornet_basher
18-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks to all for your help.

Left a deposit on the monster today :D :D :D and pick it up in a couple of days.
Will sort the tryes in a couple of weeks when back from my hols.

cheers