PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Cam Belts??

dlloyduk
16-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Can anyone give me an idea of the price of a pair of cambelts for a 620ie? and the best place to buy?
Any contacts would be appreciated.
Thanks.

nik_the_brief
16-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Only about £20 for the pair and strangely your local Ducati dealer is unlikely to rip you off, try there.

Is that Washington DC or are ya in the UK?

I'm sure they can be posted if you can't get them there, they're not heavy so it's unlikely to cost you much extra.

dlloyduk
16-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Well you must know a nice Ducati dealer...please can I have a name and number? I have been quoted £50 and £60 a pair.....
Washington UK-- Sunderland,Tyne and Wear.

nik_the_brief
16-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Well you must know a nice Ducati dealer...please can I have a name and number? I have been quoted £50 and £60 a pair.....
Washington UK-- Sunderland,Tyne and Wear.

Try giving Dean a ring at Ducati Ashford (Kent). He's a very friendly bloke and will be able to quote you part numbers and the offical Ducati price for the part. I may, of course, be talking out of my proverbial as I have an old 600 so perhaps the belts are cheaper for it. His number is 01233 636699.

You could then revert to your local guy quoting what he's told you.

P.S. Sorry about my lousy geography!

PaulS
16-06-2005, 01:19 PM
You could also try Stuart at SPARESHACK (http://www.spareshack.com) who is one of the sponsors of this site and gives a discount to UKMOC members. FYI I was charged £52.94 plus VAT for a pair of belts for my S4 by my local Ducati dealer when they changed them. You might expect the belts for the S4 to be a bit more expensive than those for a 620 as they are longer.

Unit 18
16-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Part No. 73710051A at £49.86 incl for the pair.

Blue Beastie
16-06-2005, 03:03 PM
I got a quote from my nearest Ducati dealer (Alvins in Edinburgh) of about £45 for a pair of belts (not fitted) for my M600. Read on here that they can be got cheaper so got them from Stuart at Spareshack for about £26. :D

DesmoDom
16-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm surprised you aint tried M&S Motorcycles near Durham, they should be able to sort you out. Heres the contact info.

M&S Motorcycles
Finchale Road
Framwellgate Moor
Durham
DH1 5HL

01913 841582

info@ms-motorcycles-durham.fsnet.co.uk

Hope this is of some use.

Baz

Chappers
16-06-2005, 03:45 PM
I was lucky and got mine off Ebay for £12 (genuine Ducati part) for the pair and then got Dave Woods to put them on when he serviced the bike.

Pedro
16-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Moto Rapido in Winchester just quoted be supply of belts for £13 each plus the VAT.

Ped

dlloyduk
16-06-2005, 05:32 PM
My belts are this part number 737.4007.2A ? Exactly what is the difference in the various part numbers for 600's or 620's?
Is there a difference?
£13 Sounds a fair price from Moto Rapido any phone number?

Bunny
16-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Moto Rapido : 01962 877996 :)

Scotty
16-06-2005, 09:41 PM
umm M&S were pricey for belts in my experiance unless they fit them for ya in which case there the going rate + the 1000000000000 dollars for labor

dlloyduk
17-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know what the difference is with various 600-620 belts??My part numbers on the belts are this :737.4007.2A at around £50-£60 if they ended in 1A the price is around £26!!!
Any one with a 620 with 737.4007.1A
:confused: Belts on it?

Rockhopper
17-06-2005, 10:05 PM
1A is for the 600, 2A is for the 620. They look identical in the parts lists, infact i would say that have taken parts of the 600 drawing and used them to make up the 620 one. Only way would be to get two belts side by side.

Jason
18-06-2005, 03:28 PM
If memory serves me correctly, I paid £40 for the pair from Riders of Bridgwater (Ducati Dealer) although they had to order them for some strange reason - you'd have thought that they'd be a stock item but there you go.

The job takes about 30-40 mins (at my slow, cautious pace) and turns out to be a doddle providing you take your time and mark the vertical cyliner's cam position carefully (the horizontal one has timing marks on it anyway).

I use the Haynes manual tip for belt tension (seeing as I work there), get a spring balance - from a fishing shop - and apply 10lb pressure to the belt tensioner before tightening the bolt.

I've read many other ways of doing the job but this seems to work fine in my experience.

Oh, by the way www.ducatisuite.com is an excellent site for the home DIYer.

Hope I've not just taught my Grandma to suck eggs. If so many apologies ;)

Fosse Foxfight
18-06-2005, 03:32 PM
If memory serves me correctly, I paid £40 for the pair from Riders of Bridgwater (Ducati Dealer) although they had to order them for some strange reason - you'd have thought that they'd be a stock item but there you go.

The job takes about 30-40 mins (at my slow, cautious pace) and turns out to be a doddle providing you take your time and mark the vertical cyliner's cam position carefully (the horizontal one has timing marks on it anyway).

I use the Haynes manual tip for belt tension (seeing as I work there), get a spring balance - from a fishing shop - and apply 10lb pressure to the belt tensioner before tightening the bolt.

I've read many other ways of doing the job but this seems to work fine in my experience.

Oh, by the way www.ducatisuite.com is an excellent site for the home DIYer.

Hope I've not just taught my Grandma to suck eggs. If so many apologies ;)

A most excellent post Jason. So many owners see that as the belts are connected to the desmodronics that the Black Arts are involved, whereas, as you rightly point out its a portion of urine. Mind you thers some on here that just couldnt be arsed to do this piffling task :rolleyes: You work in a fishing shop eh? :D
Ta ra

Jason
18-06-2005, 04:03 PM
No, actually I work at Haynes Publishing (although I have to confess my work is connected to the printing and not to the actual spannering!)

Thank you for your kind comments and I would agree that too many people are afraid of tinkering with their Dukes - put off by magazine test rider's that don't know a spark plug from a spanner in many cases.

The desmo system isn't hard - just different.

I started working on my Duke soon after I got it
a) because I've always done 'basic' servicing on my bikes and
b) because I refuse to pay Riders £400 to do a 2yr/12,000 mile service!

All parts (including belts, oil/air/fuel filters, sparkplugs, brake/clutch fluid and fully synthetic oil etc- all genuine Ducati items) came to about £120.

A 12,000 service (minus changing the fork oil - as they seem fine to me at - and it'd be an arse-ache to do ;) ) takes a full weekend or two part weekends if your lazy like me and also like to double-double check everything.

The process REALLY isn't very difficult - just time consuming. I use Haynes Manual (for the pics), a Genuine Ducati one (for the measurement & diagrams, plus notes form www.Ducatisuite.com. I find that I can't rely on just one source as Ducati seem to have a very 'relaxed' approach to which parts they use on which model years. I think they work on the basis of

'Hey Luigi, I got some of these bits left over from last year what do I do with them?'

'Just stick them in whatever your building at the moment Luca!)

Go on guys, have a go at your next service. You'll learn more about your bike, know the jobs actually been done and done properly, and save yourself a small fortune to boot :)

Fosse Foxfight
19-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Where are ya Jason dude? You must be relatively close to me if ya work in Yeovil and use Louigis?......ahem...myself I'm in Bath :D

ta ra

Jason
20-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi Fosse,

I live near Langport, mid-way between Taunton & Yeovil. Together with Dave Pearson (Taunton) we form the Somerset branch . . . well twig . . . well twiglet then! We meet infrequently though due to work & family etc.

Maybe we should get together for a ride-out sometime, there's some great roads we use over Exmoor if your interested on weekend? ;)