PDA

View Full Version : Off the Road....

Tigerlily
13-06-2005, 10:09 PM
But only temporarily.

Got a bloody nail in me back tyre so I'll have to say "bye-bye" to those nice little bits of melted rubber that I gained from the track day.

Looks like I'll be going back to having 2" chicken strips again! :(

Bugger, bugger, bugger!

Hopefully have it sorted at the weekend but it means I won't be out this week :mad:

Zimbo
14-06-2005, 07:25 AM
If it's in the centre of the tyre just get it repaired, be loads cheaper and you get to keep your de-chicken stripped tyre :p
If it's near the sides you'll need a new tyre though.

SAMMYE
14-06-2005, 09:00 AM
If it's in the centre of the tyre just get it repaired, be loads cheaper and you get to keep your de-chicken stripped tyre :p
If it's near the sides you'll need a new tyre though.

I did this and saved myself £90 thanks to advice from the Zimbo :D

Rabbit
14-06-2005, 09:44 AM
I asked a local bike shop about having it plugged and they said as long as it's within an inch of the centre line and not a Z rated tyre then yes - I can get it plugged.......guess what?.....

....I've got a Z rated tyre, so I can't get it plugged :(

Thanks for the advice though :D

Tigerlily
14-06-2005, 09:46 AM
* NOTE TO SELF*

I must make sure I'm logged in as myself before I post! :o :lol:

SAMMYE
14-06-2005, 10:17 AM
I asked a local bike shop about having it plugged and they said as long as it's within an inch of the centre line and not a Z rated tyre then yes - I can get it plugged.......guess what?.....

....I've got a Z rated tyre, so I can't get it plugged :(

Thanks for the advice though :D

mine was a Z rated tyre

cheeky monkey
14-06-2005, 10:33 AM
had repairs done on z rared before. when I asked all I was told was not to have more than 2 per tyre and of course not if its anywhere near the side wall

Tigerlily
14-06-2005, 10:43 AM
I'll phone a couple more places and see what they say then.

I'd rather just get it repaired if I can, still got loads of tread left.

Thanks guys :)

Tigerlily
14-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I've rung a few places and opinion seems to be mixed :confused:

For my own peace of mind, I think I'm as well to get it replaced.

I know I don't exactly push my tyre's to their limits but I don't want to be worrying about it instead of concentating on what I'm doing!

Thanks again for the advice/comments though - much appreciated :D

andros
14-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Sounds sensible, at least will give you confidence in it.

Just need another trackday for the edges, I want to do another now!

SAMMYE
14-06-2005, 12:29 PM
I've rung a few places and opinion seems to be mixed :confused:

For my own peace of mind, I think I'm as well to get it replaced.

I know I don't exactly push my tyre's to their limits but I don't want to be worrying about it instead of concentating on what I'm doing!

Thanks again for the advice/comments though - much appreciated :D

Depends who wants to make more money!?

mine was changed on a Z and I push the tyres to their limit and well above and never had a problem with mine recently changed it because had used all the tread.

But as the others say its what your comfortable with

Tigerlily
14-06-2005, 12:32 PM
I quite fancy doing another myself - but in a smaller group I think!
I struggled to relax with all those bikes whizzing past me :o

Rabbits just booked another one in Wales in August, but he's going to take the H***a to that one.

andros
14-06-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm hoping to do another this year if I can, not sure where yet though, dont want to travel too far.

Spike
14-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Keeping my rear tyre isn't an opption it's splitting across the centre so I guess it's cooked, thanks Rabbit for the nice piccie of me what part of the track is it on. :burnout:

bod
14-06-2005, 07:15 PM
The only reason they won't repair a Z rated tyre is due to the posible speed the bike(tyre) may do won't be a problem on a monster.

Get it fixed and save money for some shiny bits. :)

Tigerlily
14-06-2005, 07:42 PM
..... thanks Rabbit for the nice piccie of me what part of the track is it on. :burnout:

It's probably around Edwina's, that's where most of the pics were taken.

Tigerlily
14-06-2005, 07:46 PM
The only reason they won't repair a Z rated tyre is due to the posible speed the bike(tyre) may do won't be a problem on a monster.

Get it fixed and save money for some shiny bits. :)

Oh bugger it! I'm confused now - I don't know what to do! :confused:

DesmoDog
14-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Get some of those nice red ones onthe bullet london site. Classy

Tigerlily
14-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Red tyres?..........

Red??

Tyres??

That'd be super-classy with yellow wheels!

Where's a "barfing" smilie when you want one? ;)

MrsJel
14-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Has anyone else tried that Ultraseal stuff you put into the tyre to seal it? Husband picked up brand new Sprint ST the day before Mallory BSB, on the way back his back tyre had picked up a staple. Only 50 miles on the clock - didn't want to pay for a new one! Poured this stuff in and it sealed. The next weekend he started to pull out what he though was a piece of gravel turned out to be a nail. Tyre's still up with 3 holes & 2000 miles on it. He is going to change it soon though, can't keep pushing his luck.

Zimbo
14-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Ultraseal is good stuff, well worth it.
Honestly Julie, get it repaired, it won't be a problem. Not all places will do it, but it'll be fine, really. You're not going to overwhelm the tyre, the reason some places won't repair Z rated tyres is because they're rated to 200mph or so, and you're not really likely to be doing those sorts of speeds!
As for trackday, the Pembury one Rabbit has booked on would be perfect for you, the Novice group will only have 10 - 12 in it, the track's at least one and a half times the length of Mallory, and there's at least two girls doing it that are slower than you!!!

Tigerlily
14-06-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm tempted!

Both the repair and the track day!

Decisions, decisions... :lol:

Tigerlily
15-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Right it's getting repaired... while it's getting done I can have a nose round Ducati Leeds to see if there's any nice shiny bits that take my fancy! :D

The Kevlar Kid
15-06-2005, 11:25 AM
The reason most places wont repair a Z rated tyre is because that is the recomendation from all the tyre companys (except one, but I can't remember who that was, think it may be Dunlop - their website will tell you).

That said, most 'will' repair it as long as you don't want a receipt and pay cash etc, as there will be no warranty or comeback on the repair. It will be at your own risk.

I'ts not illegal to use a repaired tyre and the usual rules about it only being repairable if it's in the centre section of the tyre etc still apply.

I've had one repaired BT014 on my Monster, and several on the ZZR I had before that (much faster than the Monster) without any problems. Personaly, I'd go for it.

As for Ultraseal, I'd read a few good reports so I tried it on the ZZR. It sealed a puncture ok, but over time (less than the lifetime of the tyre (I'd get about 5-6,000 out of a rear)) started causing deflation / inflation problems as it clogged up the valve. I've still got half a bottle in the garage somewhere - I'd never use it again.