PDA

View Full Version : World Ducati Week 2006

logyk
12-06-2005, 06:46 PM
After returning from a recent trip to France Switzerland and Italy I suddenly realised that next year is a WDW year.

I promised myself at the time of the last event that I would try to attend the next one. Hence this post.

I am willing to try to make some arrangements if there is sufficient interest to make up a raiding party from UKMOC,although I am not pushing myself formward and if any senior member of the club wants to take up the baton I have no problem with that. However given the popularity of the event I suggest that we need to get working on this now .....as hotels will be scarce in the area of the event which is likely to be in the Rimini area. I intend to contact Ducati UK tomorrow to find out dates and location.

Those who have expressed an interest so far are:

logyk
Kazza
Neil
claicerrig
c's brother
Desmodog

If you are interested please add your name to the list by the usual cut and paste method.

Thanks

marchesini
12-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Haven't done a European trip before so could you give an idea of what's involved. In particular, what route do you take and how long do you envisage the trip taking? I assume a lot of this may be dependent on numbers on fast you will be travelling but give us an idea of how many miles you covered on your last trip (and how saddle sore you were).

Cheers and best regards

simon

emily's driver
12-06-2005, 11:10 PM
If its of any use I have ridden various dukes around france italy spain and portugal on numerous occasions and have been to WDW twice on Dukes now, missed out on the 2004 event though. Well worth the trip, I must admit. Its all in the planning really. I am hoping to gather together a group of five or so to join me but as in previous years I have always found the slog to southern france and across the border (though the southern coast of france and cote d'azur are some of the best roads I have ridden on) a bit of a pain, so I am probably going to cheat and stick the bike on the motorail again. Not cheap but you avoid the wear and tear on the bike, tyres etc, fuel, toll fees and petrol plus the inevitable hotel bills. Whats more there is a service from Calais straight to Rimini which is overnight. No better and stress free a way exists to get to Misano (a mere forty mins from Rimini) and you awake to a hearty breakfast, warm sunshine and a safely strapped down bike ready to enjoy all that Italy offers. I ended up in Milan last time and led a troop of six other Dukes down to Riccione (closer to the Misano Adriatico circuit and less touristy than Rimini, cheaper too if you know where to look). Worked in Italy and have lived there on and off for some years. "Mamma" is Italian so the language is also no problem for me, so if you want any info on getting there and where is good or bad to stay PM me. I chose Riccione because the hotel I normally stay in has an underground secure garage. However the last night before I was due to ride home with my mates at the previous WDW in 2002, I elected to leave the bike out, came down at six am to find three Dzus fasteners were all that remained of my prized possession. Not saying that is the norm for those parts but wherever you choose to stay over the course of the event, choose a hotel that offers secure overnight parking and bring a good quality chain with you. I swear by ABUS and Ventura luggage systems. Hate carrying weight on my back on long distance trips. Went two up with Nonnie to Italy last year on my last bike. Bl**dy brilliant it were! Next year we will be on separate bikes and hope as i say to travel down with four or so other friends on Dukes. I have all the info on motorail and costs if anyone is interested. Hope I can be of help to someone thinking of going. Dont actually own a monster, though Nonnie does but mine is a Duke so cut me some slack peeps!! Will be travelling down with some friends from both UKMOC and the DSC, its such a big event there is a lot to be said for pooling resources and thereby costs, so I apologise in advance if any of you are less than keen to fraternize with members from the other club, but speaking as a DSC member, they are all a lovely bunch really! Last time I went to WDW there were over twenty Dukes on the train to Milan. A veritable sea of Termignonis. Jeezus we were loud when it came to unloading time!! Cant wait to go again.

Moley
13-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Sounds tempting with the train taking the strain I must admit.

logyk
13-06-2005, 05:47 AM
I can vouch for the benefits of the train.Leaves you free to enjoy the riding at the other end.

Will PM you later Emily's Driver for hotel info.

Devilish
13-06-2005, 09:51 AM
deffo interested. just come back from the Ring in my 300zx. and even that was FANTASTIC!, saying that going flat out down the Autobarns giving a few AMG mercs and Various BMW M series types a good thrashing was the BIGGEST adrenaline rush i have ever had in my life, apart from my first ever wheelie on the monnie. Got a bit off a telling off by my german counterparts for doing a touch over there 150mph "advisory" speed limit (172mph on the rev limiter to be precise).

EURO TRIPS ROCK!

logyk
Kazza
Neil
claicerrig
c's brother
Desmodog
Devilish

no wheres my passport gone???

Northman1
13-06-2005, 11:19 AM
So what are the ballpark figures for the motorail, calais to Rimini, then. Need to see what size of budget I would need.

Am interested in going, unless I sell my S4 ......... decisions, decisions!!

lizzie
13-06-2005, 04:00 PM
I thought the motorail had been scrapped - or am I getting confused with the one from Belgium to Italy?

logyk
13-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Contacted Ducati Uk and the word is that neither the dates nor the location have yet been announced for WDW 2006 (the suspicion is that Ducati are either trying to come up with something spectacular or that it is intended to link the week with the launch of a new model)

This is good news because it means that we are not going to be chasing fully booked hotel accomodation.

We need to keep an eye on Ducati.com where the details will be announced.

I have done some research on trains. It would appear that the Calais/Rimini motorail is no longer in service.
The alternatives are Calais/Avignon or Nice (which I have done) or Munich/Rimini (which I have not) or perhaps even Paris/Avignon or Nice if the Calais service has not begun by the time of WDW (Calais does not operate all year round). Avignon to Rimini is 520 miles,Nice to Rimini is 320 miles and Calais to Munich is just under 600 miles.
I will try to get some costings for the various options tomorrow.

As for mileage, when touring(moving on most days) we did some 2250 miles in 9 days. Since WDW is based in a fairly compact area I would think the mileage will be substantially down on this, even allowing for rides across northern Italy in the event that we choose to take the train to the South of France.

I will try to get some indication of hotel prices for a twin room for a week near Rimini just to give an idea on budget.
A quick look on the web today suggests that a reasonable 3 star is likely to cost around £40/60 a night ,with a discount for 7 days.

Hope this helps .

MrsJel
13-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Sounds like a good plan - 5 of us were planning to head to Italy next year anyway there's 2 monsters, a numpty or 748 (depending how his back's feeling) and a Triumph (do we let English bikes in or do I have to leave husband at home??) Note here - I wasn't allowed to park at Ace Cafe on Sunday because my bike wasn't a Triumph, bet Ducati owners aren't so discriminatory (big word, must rest now).

queen_gpants
19-06-2005, 03:00 PM
logyk
Kazza
Neil
claicerrig
c's brother
Desmodog
Devilish
Queen_GPants & Radar UK

logyk
19-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Sounds like a good plan - 5 of us were planning to head to Italy next year anyway there's 2 monsters, a numpty or 748 (depending how his back's feeling) and a Triumph (do we let English bikes in or do I have to leave husband at home??) Note here - I wasn't allowed to park at Ace Cafe on Sunday because my bike wasn't a Triumph, bet Ducati owners aren't so discriminatory (big word, must rest now).

Mrs Jel - the more the merrier!

Good to see you joining the possibles Celeste.

The cost of the motorail Calais/Avignon is in the region of £355 return. It adds up when you consider hotel/fuel/tolls and wear and tear. I have done the hack across France and unless you take about 3 days each way is not great fun.

More news when the date for WDW is announced. :burnout:

MotoNik
08-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I'd like to addm my name to the list of interested parties, if I may.

I've been toying with the idea of riding down via France/Belgium/Germany (nurburgring perhaps), then down through Switzerland, maybe Stelvio Pass, and then on it to Italy. Something similar for the way back.

Having said that, the train to Nice sounds good - I've always wanted to ride round Monaco and see a bit more of that area (some of the roads the use for the Monte Carlo rally ought to be worth a look).

So it would be myself (on a Supersport) and Emily (M600, unless she's upgraded to something larger by then!). Possibly a few others, if we can talk them round...

I guess the biggest hassle is finding somewhere to stay near the event itself.

Now wouldn't it be good if Ducati could tie WDW with the MotoGP at Mugello...

cheers,

Nik

Emily
08-07-2005, 01:10 PM
logyk
Kazza
Neil
claicerrig
c's brother
Desmodog
Devilish
Queen_GPants & Radar UK
nik_codling
Emily

You can never trust a man to do a job properly :rolleyes: - unless it's in the garage of course :D

logyk
12-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Progress....of a kind!

Managed to speak to the right person at Rail Europe today about the possibility of a special charter train from Calais to Avignon or Nice.Normally the trains don't run when WDW takes place.

To fill the train we will need 81 bikes (I am starting a thread on the DSC board) so we need to spread the word !!! This will minimise the cost.

The problem is that no date has yet been set by Ducati as far as I can establish.

Will be getting a price for the train in due course but if everyone interested can add their names to the list and tell ALL their friends this may be a great way to party to and from the south of France leaving an enjoyable ride ove to the east coast of Italy.

More news as it arrives ;)

Nonnie
12-07-2005, 04:22 PM
wow! chartering your own train full of Ducatis!!!

sounds amazing!

NattyBoy
12-07-2005, 04:54 PM
logyk
Kazza
Neil
claicerrig
c's brother
Desmodog
Nattyboy

I drove to WDW2004, but I do like the idea of the train..if this the route we go im deffo up for it again as ive never ridden abroad! I also found a fantastic family run campsite in a lovely little resort just outside rimini which I can recommend..

http://www.villaggiorose.com/web/EN/index.html

Cheers
Nat

logyk
12-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Good to have you on board Nat....lets hope we can fill a train ! :twisted:

Kazza
12-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Think we will definitely need the train. We're just back from driving through Switzerland (in the car) down to Southern Italy (WSB at Misano, Ducati Factory, Rossi's village), etc, then up to Northern Italy - went on a gondola in Venice and then back through France for a couple of nights. Just under 3000 miles in two weeks - sometimes in 35 degrees plus - so hopefully it would be cooler at WDW earlier in the year. Great holiday - apart from the 'tiger' mosquitos!!! For some reason, they seemed to like having me for dinner. Look forward to the updates.

Kazza & Neil

Rabbit
13-07-2005, 05:30 PM
I am keeping a very close eye on this thread ;)

claicerrig
13-07-2005, 07:39 PM
I am keeping a very close eye on this thread

Same here in Wales :D

Plum
13-07-2005, 09:17 PM
My Wife has just suggested i think about WDW, but it would have to be a choice between the UKMOC Weekender or WDW as i just cant justify both due to the expense getting off the rock! I am also off to the IOM TT in 2007. I am now in headf**k mode.

What do i do? It dont matter to the wife which one i suppose, as long as i am away for a weekend............So she can get the postie around...........again!

Moley
14-07-2005, 07:02 AM
Working on this one, are there any rough dates?

Jim66a
28-07-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm very interested in this trip. Was contemplating a trip to the Valencia WSB via Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry in November, But I'd rather hang on and do this.

CK & AK
28-07-2005, 08:44 PM
usually May. But the date isnt confirmed by Ducati Italy till late December

We are planning on going for the week, or at least 5 days (Plum, you might need more than a w/end mate! :eek: ) - and its going to take 2-3 days to ride there comfortably & the same back.

NattyBoy
29-07-2005, 08:53 AM
I am keeping a very close eye on this thread

Same here in Wales :D

..can I take my name of the list please Phil.. :lol:

Chappers
29-07-2005, 03:11 PM
usually May. But the date isnt confirmed by Ducati Italy till late December

We are planning on going for the week, or at least 5 days (Plum, you might need more than a w/end mate! :eek: ) - and its going to take 2-3 days to ride there comfortably & the same back.

Hmmmmmmmm...bit close to the TT, not sure if I can afford both - wait and see what the dates are.

logyk
04-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Now hear this guys and gals............

........the provional dates for WDW 2006 are 5 - 11th June !!!

This means that the train is now a possibility again .......will contact Motorail first thing on Monday to see what can be done to reserve some places.

Who is in ??????? :cool:

scrumpster
04-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Depending on cost and childcare I may be interested. Tim Macabee mentioned this at the DSC Dinner last Saturday - sounds good and may be the only chance I get for a holiday! :D

marchesini
04-11-2005, 05:44 PM
but as I usually don't know what the next week holds, never mind 6 months time, a very provisional yes. The bike should be ready then aswell. :D

BTW, any idea on costs?

McMONSTRO
04-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Sounds good, planning a trip to Italy for next year so could be the thing to do! Mugello Moto Gp on the 5/6, a few of the guys I ride with were on about going to that so staying on for WDW sounds a good idea!

Got Valencia Moto GP first though! Flying out early tomorrow am from Stanstead, cant wait! Will it be another episode of "Gardening with Sete" or Checa doing a "Bayliss" and getting a podium just before leaving Ducati?

McMonstro

Banshee
04-11-2005, 06:26 PM
so how much we talkin?

NattyBoy
04-11-2005, 06:42 PM
im in phil..

Nat

logyk
04-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Good to have you aboard Nat ! :cool:

Scotty
04-11-2005, 07:07 PM
im considering it at the moment

claicerrig
04-11-2005, 08:08 PM
I`m out :mad: :mad:

Have just booked the annual claicerrig family holiday and am getting back into the uk on the 3rdJune so i am fubarred

I might have considered it but our pay deal (due last march) :eek: was setteled to day and we are loseing 9 days annual leave of our entitletlment so i aint got too many to play around with like i used to

Going to Laguna Seca as well :twisted: :D for the Gp nxt year too though

Sorry guys i was really looking forward to it :( but there is the saturday at the weekender and the trackdays to look foreward too

Clai

CK & AK
05-11-2005, 08:02 AM
just remember those dates are 'provisional' and wont be confirmed just yet - and there is a good possibility that they could be moved to later - well away from Mugello - early Sept has even been mooted! :eek:

Worth getting all info on costs, but not booking the time off work just yet........ only another 8 weeks till confirmation tho.....

Little Monster
05-11-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm probably up for this - just subject to cost and itinerary really. Is the plan to hook up with ED and Nonnie and their clan of Ducs?

McMONSTRO
09-11-2005, 09:37 AM
I guess this is at Misano then? Just done a search on WDW 2006 (took ages as this is also Walt Disney World!) and saw a few hotels near Misano doing deals!
The mob I went to Assen with were talking about going to Mugello for the GP and I had an idea of staying on for WDW, after a curry last night the general opinion changed to WSBK at Monza, which is in April! Apparently there is some big football tournament in June! Me thinks this is too early so Im definately leaning towards this now! So any further news?

McMonstro

CK & AK
19-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Postponed till 2007.....

Instead, why not make a w/end of it over 5th - 7th of May - and come & support us at the televised Assen race weekend

:burnout:

NattyBoy
19-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Done !!

Cheers
Nat

Bumblebee
23-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Dear All,

I've been reading these thread about WDW. Members have been talking about Monorail/costs etc. I have posted various messages in last few days advising that I have arranged a trip down to WDW and I have some space left on the trailer. Costs are £395 for bike and riding gear return trip fully insured, we are using Ryanair for return flight to Ancona, coach collects us from there (extra £20) and takes us to Pesaro where bikes will be waiting. Then we have arranged hotel accommondation in Urbino, which I can book for anyone interested for about Euro 40/night B&B, bbut if you want to do your own thing (sleep on the beech???) thats no probs. Presently we are 17 bikes -23 people going down, but we have room for 8 extra bikes if anyone is up for it come back on thread or give me a tinkle 07702 664592.

If you are worried about transporting your pride and joy by overland trailer, I can send you some pictures. We done a lot of these trips, Mugello last year, and WDW in 04. Bikes are mounted on transport frame and bubble wrapped to ensure they get there abd back without and problems.

Cheers

BB

Mand
23-04-2007, 07:46 PM
why don't people read the title it says 2006!

WDW 2006 - now on my calendar it is 2007. :chuckle: