PDA

View Full Version : speed cameras

bigredduke
11-06-2005, 10:20 PM
With these things proliferating (they seem to breed faster than a 14 year-old chavette) would it be a good idea to have a section dedicated to them? members can then post updates alerting their presence - especially the mobile ones with descriptions & reg nos. I heard yesterday for example, that Humberside police are using a blue van with ladders on top and a camera in the back between Tibthorpe & Wetwang on the B1248 in East Yorks - a fast popular road with the two-wheeled fraternity

Banshee
11-06-2005, 10:22 PM
nice one. but the big bad one is the mobile video.

boppy
11-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Cheers for that. It's my fave road fast and sweeping can get my monny flat out on most of it.

bigredduke
11-06-2005, 11:22 PM
nice one. but the big bad one is the mobile video.
what's the mobile video & why is it sooooo bad?

Rogerg
12-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Couple of useful links:

heres a database you can upload to Sat Nav units: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

and heres an searchable version: http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/locationsdatabase.htm

I use the pockekgpsworld one on my Navman - its saved my arse a few times!

DesmoDog
12-06-2005, 05:45 PM
heres a database you can upload to Sat Nav units: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

and heres an searchable version: http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/locationsdatabase.htm

Nice one Roger!

You at the back! Pay attention. Mobile cameras are fitted into vans that then patrol ahem "blackspots". You don't see them until you're on top of them, thats if they are marked. Obviously, Humber police have decided to go down and dirty (and we're not talking their chief here) and use disguises for their vans - the bastards! We're luck here as there are only one or two and they helpfully have the sign for gatso plastered all over them. I'm not sure what their operational range is for the camera.

Mrs Soup
13-06-2005, 01:37 PM
If a speed enforcement site (fixed or mobile) is in an area participating in the revenue hypothecation scheme it must adhere in full to the guidelines shown on the attached form. If it fails to do so, you are entitled to demand to know what remedial action will be taken — and by when — to bring this site back into compliance with Home Office guidelines.

If, however, the enforcement site involved is not in an area currently participating in the revenue hypothecation scheme, you can only use this audit form to highlight deviations from Home Office guidelines and to recommend remedial action.

Form should be attached or can (hopefully) be downloaded from here:

www.dangly.co.uk/ABD/SpeedEnforcementSiteAuditForm_Word2000.doc

The Association of British Drivers www.abd.org.uk has lots of stuff about this, though they are a bit "cars before everything".

bigredduke
13-06-2005, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Mrs Soup]If a speed enforcement site (fixed or mobile) is in an area participating in the revenue hypothecation scheme it must adhere in full to the guidelines shown on the attached form. If it fails to do so, you are entitled to demand to know what remedial action will be taken — and by when — to bring this site back into compliance with Home Office guidelines.

Does the revenue hypothecation scheme refer to the local authority or to the police force? - the boundaries don't always match up. For example, in my area, Humberside police operate in Hull (a unitary authority), East Yorks & North Lincs.

Smiler
13-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Even worse in Scotland, Mobile Video Bikes marked and unmarked! :eek:

Smiler

DesmoDog
14-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Yup, same in Northubria - I posted up a moby picture of the latest police blades replete with blade graphics in the colours of Northubria Police livery at the start of the summer. They even had the Northumbria Police Crest on their knee sliders - Very smug. I know for sure they are also riding an unmarked R type, something else plastic and fast, and a harley. Though god only knows why the harley, maybe that copper is from the fruad squad looking for bent accountants. Not that I'm stereotyping harley riders or anything, but the copper riding the liveried softtail they have must be well sick of people doing the YMCA dance whenever they see him.

Mrs Soup
14-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Does the revenue hypothecation scheme refer to the local authority or to the police force? - the boundaries don't always match up. For example, in my area, Humberside police operate in Hull (a unitary authority), East Yorks & North Lincs.

I think it refers to the "safety" camera partnership type thing, but it's associated with police areas not LA areas.

The thing is - that the home office guidlines say you can't hide the cameras.

Marked and unmarked traffic police are what plod has always done. Personally I don't have a problem with that.

Vman
14-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Couple of useful links:

I use the pockekgpsworld one on my Navman - its saved my arse a few times!

I have the Navman pocket pc v3 and cant for the life of me, figure out how to load, save or use this info. :confused: :o

Maybe I`m just being stupid...Help!!! Anybody live near me, wanna help me out? I really would like this loaded on to the navman.

A Yerbury
14-06-2005, 05:39 PM
I had the unfortunate pleasue of watching the uk version of "insane car chases" Jamie -no bbc contract-Theakston doing the voice over "this motorist is putting people lives at risk!!" he gushed...hmm well at 94 he seemed to be moving only a couple of mph more than the articulateds in the middle lane and the same speed as everyone else.
the gits.

AY.

bigredduke
17-06-2005, 10:14 AM
A friend has checked and been clocked twice recently. Did you know that recent Government legislation changing the Freedom of Information Act gives you access to speed camera offences registered within the last twelve months, and placed on a freely-available website?

Also, every time your car goes even over a mile or so over the speed limit, it is registered and placed on the database?
They only send you a ticket if you are way over, OR (and here's the rub), if you receive over twenty near-misses. You can now check how many you have against your car or bike's registered number.
Go to "www.e-database.co.uk". It will ask you for a password, but just click on "need a password or login" link and you will be given one in a pop-up window. Make a note of the login and password and enter your registration number to see if you have been clocked, in the top right-hand corner, there is a click-on window that even shows the picture taken by the camera!

Mrs Soup
17-06-2005, 01:24 PM
A friend has checked and been clocked twice recently. Did you know that recent Government legislation changing the Freedom of Information Act gives you access to speed camera offences registered within the last twelve months, and placed on a freely-available website?

Also, every time your car goes even over a mile or so over the speed limit, it is registered and placed on the database?
They only send you a ticket if you are way over, OR (and here's the rub), if you receive over twenty near-misses. You can now check how many you have against your car or bike's registered number.
Go to "www.e-database.co.uk". It will ask you for a password, but just click on "need a password or login" link and you will be given one in a pop-up window. Make a note of the login and password and enter your registration number to see if you have been clocked, in the top right-hand corner, there is a click-on window that even shows the picture taken by the camera!

Oh Ha HA HA

About as likely as the plumbers van :rolleyes:

Scotty
17-06-2005, 05:30 PM
sucker, saw that a mile away, been around for a year at least

bigredduke
17-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Only a year out of date? - that counts as at the cutting edge for me!