PDA

View Full Version : S4 Monster wont start!!!

DevilBoy
09-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Hello all

Im having a bit of trouble getting my monster started.
I turn the key, and the normal whirring noise of (i think) the fuel pump does not happen.
Press the starter, the engine ticks over as if its trying to start, but never does.
Fuel is ok, all switches in the right place, immobiliser light goes off.

Ive checked the fuse for the fuel pump, and changed it, same result. All other electrics (lights etc) are working fine.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on here? Or is a visit to the ass rapist/garage in order?

Cheers in advance!
DB :twisted:

ps4
09-06-2005, 07:19 PM
The whirring noise is the fuel pump priming.If that does not happen I suppose the bike will not run.
Have you checked all the wiring that goes into it ?

Shauns4
09-06-2005, 07:51 PM
I would start by checking the electrical connection to the fuel pump, you need to lift the tank and you will see the wiring, if the connection is ok take it apart and check the voltage at the pins, if there is voltage then its a pump related problem, no volts then you need to consult a wiring diagram, process of elimination.

The wires for fuel pump I think are brown/white and black, there will 4 wires to the tank, 2 for the pump, 2 for the level sender.

There is also a relay for the whole injection system which should also be checked.

Shaun

DevilBoy
09-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Ill take a look at the wiring, see if anything looks loose.
But I am a total mechanical novice, i dont even know where the fuel pump is!

So I dont think im gonna be able to check any of this myself...

I might just take it to a garage...
Anyone?

bod
09-06-2005, 09:25 PM
From my problems with a year old monster it turned out to be the fuel pump relay (was the small 4 pin thing under the seat on my 620,short out pins 87 and 30 if it starts thats your problem.

DevilBoy
09-06-2005, 10:41 PM
You see, you say the whatever relay under the seat, but all i see is a little black box, and lots of wires!
I might havea look in the manual.

Like i said, a trip to the garage is gonna cost loads, and i gotta get it down there too!

Anyone wanna guide me through it maybe?

DevilBoy
13-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Can anyone help me?
Ive gone nearly a week without riding now, and its killing me!!!!

Bunny
13-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Got a camera ? take a picture of the electrics under the seat, put it on here, and we'll try to tell you what is what, and what to plug in where. Not sure if everything is in the same place on mine.

Devilish
13-06-2005, 05:51 PM
have you checked if youve got a spark. check your plugs after trying to start it. if there wet and smell of fuel there is your problem. people seem to for get that you can have much fuel as you like going into the engine, but its no good with out a spark. Another way of checking is take the plug out and hold it to thew engine casing, ot something metal. turn the engine over if you get a spark, then thats ok. if not change your plugs. Try again, if your still not getting a spark, check your ignition fuse. IF your STill not getting a spark, your coils are up the creek.

You havent left the ignoition on for a while without starting it have you?, cause that'll blow the coil packs.

Hope this helps

Nick

snakey
13-06-2005, 06:00 PM
how long has it been since you rode / started the bike, any more than two months and the fuel is knackered, this new unleadad stuff don't hold it's octane for long, just had the same with my sport, not been used for a few months refused to start, drained the tank and new fuel and off she went first time!
Pete.

DevilBoy
14-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Cheers for the things to check guys.
I had another look last night and heres the latest:

All fuses ok. Charged the battery, so thats ok. Ive got the choke on full, and messing with the throttle, but I cant smell petrol anywhere, which i sometimes can if i rev it too much when trying to start it.

The last time i rode it was the night before it wouldnt start, and I never leave the ignition on without starting it.

I only had it serviced about 2 months ago, and the plugs where changed then... I did take the top plug out, but its got a rubber cover over it, and I cant work out how to get it off!

What ill do is get a picture for you, and post it up here tomorrow. Maybe someone else can see something that I cant.

If it is the coils (whatever they are), is it an expensive thing to fix? can I do it myself perhaps?

Cheers guys - your all stars!
DB

Bunny
14-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Is the "whirring noise" happerning when you turn the key ? If it isn't, then you're not gonna get any fuel. Post a piccie and we can show you what bit to check

DevilBoy
20-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Ahhhaa! All is good now guys.
Took it to the garage, and it was the fuel pump relay. guy switched that for the lights relax next to it, and it started first time.
So he replaced the fuel relay, and all is running smooth again!

So, if you aint getting the whirring noise, check your relays!

Cheers for all the help!
DB :twisted:

mikerukbiker
20-06-2005, 09:47 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my S4 yesterday - admitted defeat and bike last seen on back of an AA tow truck this morning heading for Ducati Leeds.

Last couple of times I've been out, once on each occasion, the engine stuttered for a second, rev counter swung fully clock-wise and then everything went back to normal. Anyone know whether this is likely to be the fuel pump relay or is it something completely different?

bod
20-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Don't wanna say I told you so but I did mention this quite a few posts back....main thing it's sorted now though :cool:

DevilBoy
21-06-2005, 06:19 PM
You sure did bod! Cheers mate!!

The thing is though, I wouldnt have known where to find it unless it bit my finger, so I was buggered from the start!

Must read haynes manual,Must read haynes manual...

mikerukbiker
21-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Yours might be - mine isn't!