PDA

View Full Version : Riverside Motorcycles, Northampton

Terry
09-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Took bike for 600 mile service and they sorted the immobiliser problem. The procedure for coding the keys and ECU hadn't been done correctly by Daytona so it's a big BOO to them.
If anyone doesn't know, Riverside took over the old M&P store when it closed so as well as bikes for sale, there is a big clothing/accessory store like it used to be and a cafe in the shop so not too bad waiting for your bike. Open Sundays as well.
I got a good impression of how they cared about my bike so I think they are ok.
Cost of service including oil, oil filter & fuel filter was £120 which I thought was ok. Have to do it to keep the warranty but it's the first time I've paid for a service so it hurts a bit.

McMONSTRO
09-06-2005, 06:16 PM
I guess they are still doing Ducati's then!
There was a rumour that they had lost the dealership! Obviously not! Last time I called in they hardly had any Duke's around in the showroom.
They did all my services on the S4, v-happy with the work and especially the prices :)

McMonstro

paul620sie
09-06-2005, 09:25 PM
I posted the thread about their Ducati showroom being full of Jap' bikes etc. Ducati sales guy at track event today assured me Riverside are a dealer and there are no plans to change that.

I have used them for servicing on my 620ie... always good and under quoted price on the phone when i booked it in (both times)

MrsJel
09-06-2005, 09:30 PM
£120 for a first service - thats brilliant compared to JHP Coventry they charged £200. Just about to go back to JHP for 6k service, so wish my purse luck! Took a numpty-strada from Riverside, they were very helpful at the time, even though I eventually bought one from JHP (cos they're nearer to home).
Looks like it could be worthwhile doing the extra miles to Northampton for the next service.

bod
09-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Sorry to upset anybody ...my first 600 mile service was £59 from Italia Moto in Lincoln but I bought the bike from them (still cheap though even though I droped the price on me bike when buying) :)

Terry
09-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Of course I'm upset bod; I won't sleep tonight after shelling out all that folding :(
I nearly bought a Monster from On-yer-bike and first service would have been about £220, so £120 was ok in comparison.
The break-down was:
Fuel filter £13.59
Oil filter £8.54
Shell oil £24.68
Consumables £3.50 (no idea what they are?)
1.5 hour labour £70.50
The bits cost £50 so £59 total was a bargain then.
...and Mc, I was in there a few weeks ago and it was a bit sparce so thought they were not doing Ducati anymore but they definitely are still dealers.

McMONSTRO
10-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Glad Riverside are still doing Duc's may be taking one down there in the next few months, for its first service(if things work as I hope) Moto at lincoln is the nearest to me but I rang a couple of times and the lead times were Huge!
"were booked up for two months etc" so it was easier to book it in at riverside! 7-10 days! Sure they do a great job, J+R use e'm I know, but For a first service :eek:

McM

paul620sie
10-06-2005, 06:22 PM
I called in again today for another look and to see what my 620 was worth against a faster machine (i tried an S2R at Mallory... I'm smitten). Like before the showroom was looking grim, I counted just 8 ducatis, all used expect a fulled loaded multistrada and an orange S2R.

What's going on?

I didn't bother asking about trading up, a trip to On Yer Bike comming up me thinks.

McMONSTRO
28-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Well its of to Riverside for the first service on Saturday morning, not bad 600 miles in 2 weeks, everywhere else was 4 to 6 weeks, that would put me up to...errrr....1800 miles at this rate! Ill let you all know whats in or going on! I will enjoy my breakfast in McD's while the spanners are being wielded :D

McMonstro

paul620sie
28-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Have they offered you a "while u wait service"? I was told (admittedly 2yrs ago) that i had to leave the bike with them for a minimum of a whole day.

Let me know how you get on cos I'll need a third service soon(ish).

MrsJel
28-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Hope you get on OK. I'm just going on to BBC to check out Saturday's weather - due to collect mine from JHP Coventry after 6k service. When I'm over the shock I'll let you know what they charged in the end.

MrsJel
28-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Have they offered you a "while u wait service"? I was told (admittedly 2yrs ago) that i had to leave the bike with them for a minimum of a whole day.

Let me know how you get on cos I'll need a third service soon(ish).
I've been told by 2 different places that they need the bike to be cold.

Rockhopper
29-06-2005, 04:49 AM
Valves and belts need to be done with the motor stone cold.

Ask yourself why so many service places have a two month waiting list but some can fit you in the same week. Might it be because no one goes there for some reason?

Are Riverside the ones who cut the chain off an ST2 with an angle grinder and were photographed doing so in Ride magazine?

Ducati have a policy of solus dealers which means that if you want the full DUK back up, advertising, discounts etc you are only allowed to sell Ducati's hence Ducati Manchester, Coventry etc.

Derby Powersports used to be this areas Ducati people but they decided that the market wasnt strong enough to support a Ducati only dealership so they closed down.

slob
29-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Are Riverside the ones who cut the chain off an ST2 with an angle grinder and were photographed doing so in Ride magazine.
Nothing wrong with that, just looks impressive.

gary tompkins
29-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Nothing wrong with that, just looks impressive.

Ditto - why faff around with a chain splitter for 20 minutes and get covered in greasy ****e, when you can whip the old chain off in seconds with an angle grinder?

I Use this trick every time on my rivetted chains, and will do the same when this one wears out. Mind you that could be some time yet thanks to the scottoiler ;)

Rockhopper
29-06-2005, 07:01 PM
No way guys!! All those tiny bits of red hot metal splattered all over your bike! I'm afraid if anyone tried that on our bikes i'd take it away there and then and never go back.

gary tompkins
30-06-2005, 01:26 PM
If you take the time to learn to use a mini angle grinder correctly, you'll find you can actually control which direction the sparks and metal fly off very well. No trashed paintwork etc.. on my monsters which shows it can be done - you just need a bit of skill and common sense.

Rockhopper
30-06-2005, 05:02 PM
The picture showed the bike being showered in sparks. Bodging of the highest order regardless of which way they go if you ask me.

gary tompkins
30-06-2005, 09:39 PM
You have to grind off the heads of the roller pins on one side of a riveted chain. This enables you to push through the pins, and break the chain with a chain splitting tool. If you don't grind down the pin heads first, you'll trash the press pin in the tool by putting too much strain on it, so a certain amount of grinding to remove an old chain will always be needed regardless.

Removed & replaced five rivet link o-ring chains this way in the last few years. 2 on my partners 250 Kwaker, 1 on my 600 monster & another on a mates 600 Hornet, with no hassle at all.

Oh apart from getting covered in greasy crap that is ;)

McMONSTRO
02-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Well its done! First service at Riverside, in at 830, out at 1130, bill...£140 :) Now thats a bit different to £275 quoted by some! (Riverside said £175 originally) so Im happy! Book stamped and all that.

Didnt see an angle grinder anywhere!

McMonstro

MrsJel
02-07-2005, 06:37 PM
JHP - 6k service done today. £337. Runs like a dream, didn't realise how ropey the bike had got. They've taken the clutch to bits, cleaned it & put it back together again - quiet getaways now. Am happy, but they say they've adjusted the fuelling to go with the cans - hope that doesn't mean I have to stop even sooner to fill up.

LAURENT
08-08-2005, 08:25 PM
They don't do Ducati anymore. I had to go to OYB for a waranty claim last week !!

paul620sie
08-08-2005, 09:49 PM
I called in DucatiCoventry at the weekend (to checkout a deal on an S2R) and they implied the same so I'm not surprised.

Its amazing, Ducati UK are based in MK and we have travel too far to get to a Ducati dealer!

paul620sie
30-11-2005, 05:25 PM
I passed the showroom last weekend, it looked like it has closed up for good!

Headhunter
30-11-2005, 05:44 PM
The break-down was:
Fuel filter £13.59
Oil filter £8.54
Shell oil £24.68
Consumables £3.50 (no idea what they are?)
1.5 hour labour £70.50
The bits cost £50 so £59 total was a bargain then..

Bet that was for a burger and chips from the van outside!!!!

McMONSTRO
30-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Great!!!! Thats my cheap servicing gone then! Looks like JHP Coventry or Italia at Lincoln then for my 6k, 2k to go though before that, have to write to "Jim will fix it" to see if someone will open a Ducati store in Notts! Used to have Marcol (gone) Powersports at Derby (gone), the nearest bike dealer to me is Robin Hood Harley, been in today, great shop but the wrong V twins!

McMonstro

Capo
30-11-2005, 06:23 PM
I think I saw a liquidation sale for this place.