PDA

View Full Version : 600m forks

Gil1696
08-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi all,
Got a 94 600m does anyone have any knowledge of removing the bottoms of the forks(the short bit that has the fittings for mudguard and brake calipers.) They seem to be fixed with a view to removal. Any pointers greatly accepted :(

Rockhopper
08-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Just out of interest, why do you want to get them off?

Gil1696
08-06-2005, 09:11 PM
New forks bought (following an accident) which had damaged mud guard mountings on the lower parts. Need to change them over. Old forks had lowers that were good.

Lost Again
09-06-2005, 08:34 AM
I could do with knowing this one as well. Forks are badly pitted and need to come off for rechroming. Gotta get those bottom bits off though. Unless anyone knows of some secondhand forks that've still got some oil in them.

Unit 18
09-06-2005, 11:28 AM
On the early ones the lower part used to be retained by a grub screw, sadly they did away with that and now bond them in with... err... something.
Al.

Fosse Foxfight
09-06-2005, 12:04 PM
the forks have to come out realistically to do anything major which to be fair rechroming and changing the sliders is. :(
You say your old forks had good "lowers"? What was wrong that you need to change them? I hope youre not gonna say they're pitted :(

ta ra

Rockhopper
09-06-2005, 04:32 PM
For everyones info i was quoted £95 for rechroming a stripped M600 fork leg, that included them taking the bottom off and putting it back on again and carriage both ways.

A brand new fork tube is only £97 but the work to swap it. My dealer quoted me £150 rider in ride out.

I'm my opinion its not worth rechroming unless the fork is a rare one off a classic. At least with a new tube you know its going to be good.

Fosse Foxfight
09-06-2005, 04:37 PM
=

I'm my opinion its not worth rechroming unless the fork is a rare one off a classic. At least with a new tube you know its going to be good.

Ooooh no way! Rechroming a fork tube is the best thing to do. The end product will be better than original. The quality of the chrome you will get from somewhere like erm....that place near Mansfield :o, its in the back of MCN or it used to be in the 80s and early 90s :D is way way better than stock. I had 15 sets of Laverda forks done there numerous stanchions from British bikes and me R80 forks. The chrome they lay on is excellent.
Rechrome every time.

ta ra

Fosse Foxfight
09-06-2005, 04:58 PM
The one I mentioned isnt Mansfield, its Newark :rolleyes: well it is now anyway :o
H.C.P. & G
http://www.hardchromeplating.co.uk/default.htm

and this one in Luton has been recommended by another buddy

http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/

ta ra me ducks

Bunny
09-06-2005, 05:20 PM
yep, get em rechromed. I had my Z1 forks done because the genuine chrome was knackered after 6 years (1980) - they're stiil like new now - that's 25 years !!!

Gil1696
09-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi
forks weren't pitted.
The lower bit of the top section of the fork rims(where the dust seals are sat) had been damaged as a result of a van backing up on top of me.
Didn't test it, but suspected the forks might have been damaged more extensively than just being dented. They Don't leak.Just have a dented fork seal rim and look a bit bad.
So where is this grub screw then guys????

Unit 18
13-06-2005, 09:13 AM
It was on the inside of the lower about half way up.
From what I remember you needed to heat the leg up as well.