PDA

View Full Version : Under seat exhaust

Devilish
06-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Chapps and Chappettes,

has any one on here had a underseat exhaust custom made, or know of anyone who does them.

I like the high level exhausts that you can get for the monnie, but i have decided to get rid of that horrble bit of plastic at the back that holds the number plate and indicators, i think it totally ruins the way the bike sits. each to there own i suppose

Any suggestions

CheerZ

Nick :burnout:

A Yerbury
06-06-2005, 06:46 PM
a friend used to have underseat magaphones on his 600. looked and sounded nice. they were bespoke I think? get some phones then get someone like zorstec to make link pipes and bracket?

Alex

Devilish
06-06-2005, 06:50 PM
sounds like a good idea. looking at the space that i can play with, unless i want pretty much a u bend in my exhaust, which will obviously kill any sort of decent gas flow, stubbie cans might be the only option.

mmmm curious

DesmoDog
06-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Zorstec did a fantastico set of tiny underseat stubbies. Well underseat wasn't really the word, more in fron of back wheel and above spring. Lovely. Never heard them go though - I'm thinking something along the lines of the racket RR underslung must make.

A Yerbury
06-06-2005, 07:05 PM
scratch that, I just checked the pictures, sort of half under half not...why does liking the high level pipes and removing the tea tray mean you want underseat cans? sorry I dont folow the logic (attention folks this is not me being sarcostic!)

DesmoDog
06-06-2005, 07:15 PM
If you can bear the text Englsh have a look at this, er guv!

http://www.zorstec.com/main.htm

Can't find the concept Ducati they did, but if you fancy a trawl through Google it was designed by a couple of nice boys from the University of Northumbria (once nearly called the Central University of Newcastle upon Tyne - well we can always dream of the T shirts).

Mr Cake
06-06-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking something along the lines of the racket RR underslung must make.

Are they that loud?

Dave

JMo
07-06-2005, 03:06 AM
The problem with underseat exhausts on the Monny is there is not a lot of room between the top of the tyre and the undertray, so any cans would have to be very thin - I think someone did a set a bit like the MV Augusta (I thought it was Zorstec, but it wasn't) - a two into four system, and there are one or two ugly squashed ones kicking around in Europe...

I think what DesmoDog was trying to discribe was my exhaust (in front of the rear wheel, below the spring... DD x), and don't worry about it running through a U bend - mine makes 2bhp more than standard ...

Andy at Zorstec did it for me, to my design, based the on the Road Racing concept (but better - ahem.) - won't be cheap though...

xxx

JMo
07-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Just whatever you do, don't do this...

When he saw it, Andy at Zorstec gave it a fitting one-word review: "Sh ite"...

xxx

Devilish
07-06-2005, 07:11 AM
ok here is the logic, so bare with me on this one:

I dont like the crappy bit of plastic on the back of the monnie, and from what photos ive seen high level exhaust come out to where the indicators sits. No i think that having pipes that stick out further that bodywork of the bike looks daft ( apologies to any one who matchs this description),

So i thought, underseat stubby cans would be ideal.

i think this makes sense. and if it dont........ tuff!

cheerz

Nick

slob
07-06-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm fairly sure I've seen a Monnie with something like a cross between normal high-level pipes and a superbike setup. I think it may be a 748 engined bike belonging to one of 'the gang of four' from Beds/Bucks way. I will post a pic. if I can find one.

CK & AK
07-06-2005, 08:25 AM
AK has full underseat exhaust on his bike.

See link to thread with some pics here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=4635&highlight=aks+monster

there were a lot of others - but not sure where they are now - but gives you an idea?

C :)

Devilish
07-06-2005, 08:27 AM
cheerz bud.

i still havent seen a monnie with the exhaust i want, which is a good think as no one else has done it, and bad cause i can only picture in my head what it looks like

Devilish
07-06-2005, 08:50 AM
his is exactly what im looking for on the monnie

JMo
07-06-2005, 10:01 AM
That's a 748/998, but like I said - there is not enough room between the top of the tyre and the undertray to fit that size can in on a Monster (the back of the sports bikes are much higher)...

AK's is really neat, but he has jacked the back of his bike up, altered the rear sub-frame and fitted a 998 style seat unit.

This guy (see pic) did something similar to the look you are after, but I presume he had to cut away a lot of the frame under the seat... (also, it has a single side swingarm conversion, which makes the pipe routing easier).

Why not give Zorstec a call, he can pretty much do anything...

xxx

CK & AK
07-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Ak did indeed jack the bike up - by half an inch, and removed quite a bit of un-neccessary bits of frame.
The frame had to accommodate the single sider - thus giving more room - as JMo says, for pipework.
The rear seat pod is a one-off modelled on the 916.

Good luck in your quest :)

marchesini
07-06-2005, 11:14 AM
This guy (see pic) did something similar to the look you are after, but I presume he had to cut away a lot of the frame under the seat... (also, it has a single side swingarm conversion, which makes the pipe routing easier).

Here's another but is based on a Monster. 748/996 cans mounted underneath which are oval so don't sit as deep as the regular Monster Termis or sils - you could use regular cans and turn them on their side and use the brackets for a 748/996. Then get someone like Zorstec to make the link pipes. Tou then of course need to work out how you numberplate is going to be attahed but again utilise something off the sportsbike range or mount it like the bike shown.

Not a DIY job whichever route you go - pipe bending isn't as easy as it looks. Good luck.

Best regards

simon

Devilish
07-06-2005, 06:32 PM
---> JMo <---

OMG!!!!!!!!! that is exactly how i want my bike, apart from the colour of the frame and a few of the auxilieres. This dude has done nearly every thing i have on my to do list.

Ill have to see the size of the cans, but i cant see why the piping cant follow the same route as most of the high level exhausts, but towards the can bring the piping underneath the frame and seat, and bobs your uncle.

DesmoDog
08-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Here's another but is based on a Monster. 748/996 cans mounted underneath which are oval so don't sit as deep as the regular Monster Termis or sils - you could use regular cans and turn them on their side and use the brackets for a 748/996. Then get someone like Zorstec to make the link pipes. Tou then of course need to work out how you numberplate is going to be attahed but again utilise something off the sportsbike range or mount it like the bike shown.

Not a DIY job whichever route you go - pipe bending isn't as easy as it looks. Good luck.

Best regards

simon

Thats bloody lovely Simon, nicest underseat set I've seen, and I like the RR-esq plate mounting. Just need to find a supplier now!

DesmoDog
08-06-2005, 09:38 AM
I think what DesmoDog was trying to discribe was my exhaust (in front of the rear wheel, below the spring... DD x), and don't worry about it running through a U bend - mine makes 2bhp more than standard ...

xxx

Ah no mon cheri, I was thinking of something higher, and the exit was poiting over the rear wheel. V. difficult to describe. Yours is lovely, but not what I had in mind. Not that your ass is no my mind in any way of course. x

p.s. I'm sure zorstec do an MV type 2 into 4 type, but its going to cost you, oooh is it going to cost. Arrow also do one, but I'm not sure about monnies.

manc skank
08-06-2005, 09:49 AM
hehe Jenny has a fan :D :p

---> JMo <---

OMG!!!!!!!!! that is exactly how i want my bike, apart from the colour of the frame and a few of the auxilieres. This dude has done nearly every thing i have on my to do list.

Ill have to see the size of the cans, but i cant see why the piping cant follow the same route as most of the high level exhausts, but towards the can bring the piping underneath the frame and seat, and bobs your uncle.

Unit 18
08-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Road Racing did a different style of exhaust system that exits to the right side just in front of the back wheel. Don't think its what you want but may be worth a look. If you're interested Spares Shack or Bullet may be able to help. They are difficult to get hold of though.(Road Racing that is)
Al.

slob
09-06-2005, 09:51 PM
The bike I was thinking of (748sp engine) showed up at Mallory today.

grunter
09-06-2005, 10:50 PM
OR LIKE THIS :rolleyes:

Devilish
10-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Grunter, thats the puppy!, no single sider though. have been speaking to andy and zortstec and were currently coming up with a very cunning plan.... watch this space.... hopefully

grunter
10-06-2005, 12:59 PM
and get it moddded to take exhaust pipes thru it tdies all that around the swinging arm clutter :D