PDA

View Full Version : K&N pods

Davie
06-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Can anyone tell me the part number for k&n pod filters to fit a 900 monster? having a bit of difficulty identifying the ones i want, measured the carb mouths at 60mm but they only list 62mm which is not a big problem- but there is so many other options- length-angle-diameter!!!! So if someone has already fitted them would you be kin enough to give me the part number.

Thanx
Davie.

Fosse Foxfight
06-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Can anyone tell me the part number for k&n pod filters to fit a 900 monster? having a bit of difficulty identifying the ones i want, measured the carb mouths at 60mm but they only list 62mm which is not a big problem- but there is so many other options- length-angle-diameter!!!! So if someone has already fitted them would you be kin enough to give me the part number.

Thanx
Davie.
errrr, dont reckon there is a part number for "pod filters" for an M900. The only stock items for M6, 7.5. 8, 9 etc are the air box filters. Reckon youre on your own when it comes to choosing pods.......can you get them in?...thought the carb configuration didnt allow it?

Davie
06-06-2005, 05:34 PM
If you want to fit pods- the first thing you do is take the airbox off, then file it under unwanted miscellaneous parts (somewhere close to the bin). Then you are faced with 2 carb mouths which will take pods easily but i need to know which will fit to save making a wrong order.

Davie.

Rockhopper
06-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Not sure its a good idea anyhow. Carbs like a big volume of still air to draw from and if you take the airbox off then you loose this.

A Yerbury
06-06-2005, 06:44 PM
I had head it was a very bad idea on monsters, although someone on here recently did it? I phoned a kn distributer and they knew which ones. sorry I dont remember the number, I think I got it from the website?

Alex.

Zimbo
06-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Rich Lewellen (Louigi Moto) is running individual pod filters on his Desmodue race monster 600, if that's any help? I'm sure he could source them for you and send them over, along with some useful advice. He's very helpful and knowledgeable, give him a ring!

http://www.louigimoto.co.uk/

DesmoDog
06-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Talking about rings, thats what you need. I was reading a website called "building my very own monster" that detailed the fitting of pods to a 600, I think. Anyhow, he bought these ring adapters, but they weren't K&N. You might also want to keep yon airbox because you need part of it for the battery mount. Unless 900's are different. In which case I'm talking out my ring.

Davie
06-06-2005, 07:37 PM
I have already chopped the **** out of the airbox n kept the bit that holds the battery- currently running it with 2 filters from my old bandit which i had to adapt to fit cause they are a smaller diameter- but obviously i want to fit the correct filters to increase the airflow. If you read my previous thread bout my dyno run you will know why i am doin this (65 pissin hp!!! sad!). I have also lifted the needles and went upto 180 jets with the pods and noticed a considerable increase in grin factor. I will give luigi a call see if they can help.

Thanx
Davie....chasin` the horsepower!!!!

Flip
06-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Davie mate,

I'm not sure of the actual part number for the filters but if you e-mail Jonathan Helm at PDQ (jon@pdq1.com) he will know what you are talking about and has them in stock priced at £28.94 each.

He can also give you some base line set-up info which will help you before getting to a dyno (there is a decent guy with a dyno down here in LA that's worth a chat with too if you're interested).

Hope this helps ya.

Pedro
06-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Davie

have a squint at www.ducatisuite.com he fitted pods, you could always email him

Ped

Fosse Foxfight
06-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Davie

have a squint at www.ducatisuite.com he fitted pods, you could always email him

Ped
Yeah but Ped, hes also got flat siders.

A Yerbury
06-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeah but Ped, hes also got flat siders.

plus he does't live in sunny eastbourne....or any where near the uk.

crust
07-06-2005, 07:17 AM
In the article on fitting pods on his website they are standard CV carbs on his bike.

:) Crust

Fosse Foxfight
07-06-2005, 08:26 AM
In the article on fitting pods on his website they are standard CV carbs on his bike.

What?.....on Ducatisuite dudes bike?.....aaaaah he started off with stock carbs but ended up with Keihin FCRs.

Heres the article

http://www.ducatisuite.com/jetkit.html

manc skank
07-06-2005, 08:38 AM
What?.....on Ducatisuite dudes bike?.....nah Keihin FCRs.

he put the pods on first then changed to FCRs later :p

A Yerbury
07-06-2005, 10:43 AM
this is a confusing thing to benchmark as he changed carb components at the same time. It is impossible to gauge whether the improvements were from this or the pods. It makes sense to do it all in one as getting to the things is a pig, just a shame he didn't stage one the carbs with a moddified standard box (open and kn flat filter) then stage 2 with the pods. The pods may be even more restrictive IMO?

Alex.

DesmoDog
07-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Agreed, something to do with the Venturi effect created within the airbox. This might not be the case with pods. I'm getting a feeling of deja vus here.

manc skank
07-06-2005, 11:45 AM
was the consensus not that pods on a duke on mud island were not the best way to go due to them getting wet, clogging and then starving the engine?

the is some dude in the states who does a pod kit with ram pipes thats is supposed to be quite good... dunno... you pays your money...

ps. they do look pretty though :D

manc skank
07-06-2005, 11:50 AM
oh and on a side note; Chris from ca-cycleworks is working on a decent battery box for them that goes the way of the pod. he also sells the pods and the FCRs and the 100hp MBP cylinder heads :D :D

manc skank
07-06-2005, 11:58 AM
here we go the pod kit by TPO - pricy but looks nice... you pays your money....

http://www.tpoparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=59&osCsid=1154ed9abdfe841a7bee3664ede1e92d

Fosse Foxfight
07-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Whose bloody fault is that then eh? Right now after all that re-erading of Ducatisuite I've somehow ended up spending a few dollars ok 66 of em on replacement emulsion tubes, needle jets for that crappy slow idle were all used to.......but they also do a drop in carb kit akin to a Dynojet kit for 120 USD to your door....thats 65 quid!!!! :eek:

ta ra

aaaaah forgot to tell you who...its:

www.factorypro.com

Zimbo
07-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Count yourself lucky, it's forcing me towards a set of Kehin carbs at $770 :eek:

crust
07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
here we go the pod kit by TPO - pricy but looks nice... you pays your money....

http://www.tpoparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=59&osCsid=1154ed9abdfe841a7bee3664ede1e92d

That kits for fuel injected monsters only

stuartg
10-07-2005, 07:47 PM
I fitted K&N pods to my Monster from PDQ, pat number RU-1750.
These are angled and are 62mm where they fit carb inlets but fit ok. I had to trim approx 20mm off to get them to fit in frame.

A Yerbury
10-07-2005, 08:04 PM
cheers stu, I was looking for those last night, did you just trim the top of the filter then re attach the "lid" how does it go? I dont expect perf gains over the open with flat kn just tidier and easier to get to/clean around the carbs.
Alex.

stuartg
10-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Your right Alex, had open box before and the performance is not greatly improved (if at all) since fitting pods, but it is much easier to work on and clean. Have a set of Keihin FCR39's on order, that should add some power. Threw old airbox away and had a new battery box made up in aluminium to take dyna coils.
Stuart

stuartg
10-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Sorry Alex misunderstood part of your question. Just trimmed approx 20mm off the rubber neck where it attaches to carbs.

A Yerbury
10-07-2005, 08:11 PM
does make sense doesnt it, pods next on the list after the chain and sprockets which are getting a bit slappy for my own good.....

A Yerbury
10-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Sorry Alex misunderstood part of your question. Just trimmed approx 20mm off the rubber neck where it attaches to carbs.

where the two (non standard small) jubilee clips go? I am sure in the flesh it is straightforward but.... if in the next couple of weeks you have a picture ?t'would be appreciated, ta.
Alex.

stuartg
10-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Not sure to which jubilee clips you refer? Do you mean the ones on the side of the carb on the small right angled outlet? If so these are for the carb breather hose. Originally these were plain hases covered by a metal spring like contraption that go into the breather box in the right hand side of the frame. I just replaced mine with braided. Hope thats what you mean't. If not if you could elaborate.
Stuart

A Yerbury
10-07-2005, 08:59 PM
ignore me I am being a fool, the two (four in total) are actually on the old airbox...where the carbs attach.
Alex

DesmoDog
11-07-2005, 08:38 AM
But what about velocity stacks - they are designed on a supercomputer for gawds sake! That must make them good! Seriously though, don't you need some sort of ram adapter on to make these pretty babies efficient? Graon, I feel a whole month of anxiety approach - will I? Won't I? etc etc. Anybody seen the new Morini?

stuartg
11-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Sorry I cant answer that one, haven't even thought about it. I just took the old box off and put these filters on !! Thats it really, no more scientific than that.
You worry too much!!!

DesmoDog
11-07-2005, 03:01 PM
I know, it's all a worry. AND I'm moving jobs, the kids are growing up, I want a Morini, badly - and a M.V. August Brutale.

stuartg
11-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Mmm me too........... er the Morini + MV thats is. I had a Moto Morini 350 sport many moons ago, wish I still had it.

Aaah happy days