PDA

View Full Version : 620ie needs 1st 12 month service (south london-ish)

paul44
06-06-2005, 09:47 AM
All right I give up! My 620's a year old, so still under warranty and done just 3k from new (I need to get out more!).

I rang round the usual suspects listed on ducati.com as "authorised": DLS, P&H, Pro Twins and Daytona...all pricey-ish and with wildly different quotes...
anyone used this lot recently? and willing to recommend?
Are they all much of a muchness and i should just go with my gut/wallet?

Reading recent/old threads doesn't offer any clear consensus on them except for RossoCorse & tom/ducatibikes.co.uk in Wandsworth being top folks...
but if i go to em will this mean my warranty's invalid?
...and does this really matter?

CK & AK
06-06-2005, 10:01 AM
you warranty will only REALLY MATTER if you have to make a claim - say your belts snapped for example.
If the book hasnt been stamped by an authorised dealer Ducati may not meet any claim.

Where in S/London are you? - Kent or Surrey side?

C :)

paul44
06-06-2005, 10:46 AM
S London=slap bang in the middle. So either's fine for me really as i'm prepared to drive...a bit... to get this done properly. I've red such a mixture of stories about servicing costs and skills I've reached a bit of an impasse.

by the way I'm not exactly mechnically minded - what "belts" and why could they "snap"?

slob
06-06-2005, 10:51 AM
cam belts(inside the grey plastic covers on the r/h side of the cylinders) they have a limited life and are prone to 'set'(become mishapen and possibly fail early) if the bike sits unused for long periods.
Rosso Corse are good value and very thorough, just north of Rotherhithe/Blackwall tunnels.

paul44
06-06-2005, 10:54 AM
ahhh... i see, i've heard of them, thanks... what's a "long period" - ish? weeks? months? days?

slob
06-06-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm guessing(someone put me right here)several months/a year, definitely not weeks. I wouldn't worry about leaving my bike un-run for say 2 months in winter but I would worry a bit about 6 months.

CK & AK
06-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Paul, that was only an example of a failure - but belts must be changed every 2 years- or 12,000 miles whichever is sooner.

DLS are good, but v v expensive
Pro-twins & P & H are usually not quite as expensive, but still more than some
Wont comment on Daytona, just do a search on this site :rolleyes:

I know its a long way out for you, but I use W M Snell at Alton (mainline station 200yds away) who are very reliable. Further down the road is Moto Rapido - also reliable.

C

bod
06-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Hmm im in the same senario as you 04 plate,620 3000 miles and service due now.
What were you quoted my dealer said about £280 but can't do it for months!

paul44
06-06-2005, 09:07 PM
one said about £450...another £325. I'm assuming labour's why they vary...and SE England's why they're not £280! I'm tempted to sod the warranty and go with someone who seems bothered about making sure my bike is fully serviced and works properly...mind you knowing my luck!

bod
06-06-2005, 09:59 PM
And I thought labour was dear here!

Our Vauxhall garage charges£65 +VAT(where I work) I just cant seem to justify the expence for what is an oil and filter and a nut/bolt tighten job.
Very tempted to do it myself and stuff the warranty :D